Good day all! I am trying to add a hydraulic pump to the front PTO drive of an industrial CAT 3306. Can anyone help me with identifying the part numbers for the following: Gear to attach a hydraulic pump of my choice OR Hydraulic pump that can attach directly to that PTO drive. (please see pic below ) Also can someone say what ratio would that pump be to the engine RPM? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Peter
What will your hydraulic demand be in respect of flow and at what pressure.? In other words what are you planning on driving with the hydraulic pump so that the power required to drive the pump can be determined.? My first thought is that the additional power available from the front gear train (after driving the camshaft, fuel pump, water pump, etc.) may be somewhat limited and might conceivably be incapable of supplying your needs without overloading the gear train and potentially chewing up the gears. You may have to resort to installing a rear flywheel housing after you remove the water pump and then drive the hydraulic pump off the back end of the engine rather than the front. You have a 300BHP engine there. Whatever you might be thinking of hooking up to it in the way of a hydraulic pump is probably not going to require more than maybe 20% of the available engine power. Are you sure the engine isn't far too big for the intended use.? This could also cause you problems.
I need to get about 20 GPM and 2500 PSI max to operate a hydraulic winch. I am using this engine to drive a slurry pump on a barge. It will run at around 1600-1700 RPM constantly and I estimate will put out 270 HP approximately. The winch will work intermittently. This is going to be sucking slurry from the bottom of the ocean.
You are talking about pulling around 50 horsepower intermittently. Do you really need 20 GPM. The reason I ask is because you only have two bolts to hold that pump onto the front cover which is just sheet metal. I'm thinking your limits are somewhere between 5 and 10 horsepower as a ball park of the cuff wide guess. Would you be running the winch at the same time as pumping slurry?
In a over the road truck- that location mounts the power steering pump. I think the power steering pumps flow around 5-10gpm at 2100psi.
I have been building and using this setup some 34 years in South America. I did this before on a truck version of a 3406 but it mounted on the front end of the gear cover between the fan and the engine. I had used a Vickers V20 pump with a splined shaft that fitted right into a gear that was there for a steering hydraulic pump. But I never mounted anything in this position nor had a 3306. I set my relief valve to 2500 PSI but to be precise, under normal working conditions we will not pass 1500 PSI while the slurry pump is working, which will demand 17.5 HP. I used an online calculator and found that even at 2500 PSI and 20 GPM it would be 29.172 HP.
Maybe someone might have some literature that specifies the limitations of that drive?
The gear that you can see behind both those covers you removed in the accessory drives is the camshaft gear rotating at half engine speed. Both upper and lower accessory gears (upper drives the water pump) are 33 teeth, the same as the crankshaft. So the accessory drive rotates at engine speed. The options you have at the front of the engine are to mount a spline-drive pump or a taper-shaft pump. Your choice. The other option would be to change the flywheel housing for one containing a rear accessory drive and mount the hydraulic pump in that location. I agree with John & CO, your requirements sound "a bit much" for the front gear group, especially with only a 2-bolt fixing for the pump. If your normal working conditions will generally not pass 1500psi you would need 16 HP to get a 15 GPM flow. Unfortunately the 3306 Specalog (attached) does not mention the power handling capability of either the front or rear accessory drive.
See below. Still only a 2-bolt fixing but the housing is a totally different animal to the front one and would be much stronger. For one thing the drive would come straight off the crankshaft and not from the camshaft gear as is the case with the front end. Illustrations attached.
I found someone posted that the CAT D5B SA, D6D SA & D7G SA have hydraulic pumps for implements there. 24 GPM standard and optional 31 & 40 GPM pumps. They did not mention working pressure however. They posted these pics. Is anyone able to check on options for any of the above machines?
A winch attachment possibly.? This illustration looks pretty similar. It's from a D7G winch attachment (among others). The pump is a 1P-2187 (complete pump group is 1P-3254). Pump output is 20.4 gall/min maximum @ 1340 RPM, but only at 300psi of pressure .
About six horse power.
Those are all ag tractors so I'm going to guess they are for farm implements and don't put out much pressure . Bob
That pump runs off the PTO on the flywheel cover and the 300 PSI is where you flow test the pump at 20.4 gallons. Bob
One option is to get the parts required from a Steiger ST or PT 225 or 270 4wd tractor which used the 3306 in the late 70's or early 80's. They used a Commercial gear pump with a system relief of 2250 psi. I can't remember what the flow was- maybe 15-20 gpm. BIG TRACTOR PARTS may have what you need. They are Steiger specialists in Minnesota
After some research those pumps on the Steigers were rated at about 29gpm