Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fuel delivery issue??

Dozerdigger · 2020-07-18 18:57

Hello out there. I decided to make a big step and bought a 420d backhoe. The machine I'd from 2002. I have been clearing property here with it and 15-20 gal of fuel it just kindi died out. Right away I figured it was the water/ fuel separator the date marked on that was 7/2018 . I changed that and it fired up for a few minutes and died out again. It doesn't seem to want to fire up easily but when it does it ran one time for 10 min sometimes 30 seconds. The air cleaner looks pretty clean. Could I be looking at a fuel transfer pump issue or possibly an injection pump issue. How can I test them before I throw money at it. Thanks for all your help

Replies6
  1. #1NH575E2020-07-18 19:58

    Sounds like the fuel delivery issues I had with my New Holland when I got it. In my case it was rust in the fuel but specifically it had clogged the banjo bolt at the inlet line. Even after cleaning the whole system and changing the filter it would start up, run 5 minutes, and die. As soon as I found that little chunk of rust and cleared it all was well. I ended up installing a small engine filter in the line going into my water separator for an early warning device. That little filter clogged a couple of times then it has been fine ever since. I don't know anything about a 420D but just start at the tank and work forward to make sure all the supply is unobstructed first.

  2. #2showrguy2020-07-18 20:00

    I just went through all of what you Just wrote a few months ago with my JD 410 backhoe.. After much frustration, I ended up vacuuming all the fuel outa the tank with a repurposed shop vac with a piece of 3/4” cpvc for a rigid extension,,, dumped the smallShopvac loads into a clean white bucket.. I could’nt believe there was so much algae/gunk in my tank, and the machine would still run ?? The screen filter in the tank was totally plugged, and was likely like that for quite some time.. It’d be worth a look !! Good luck..

  3. #3NH575E2020-07-18 20:52

    I ran into the algae problem on my little John Deere. Had to do the same thing with a shop vac to clean all the gunk out of the tank. I did the same thing on it I did with the backhoe by adding a small engine filter on the supply line. My JD filter isn't all that expensive but when I can get early warning from a $5 filter I can buy anywhere it's piece of mind.

  4. #4Dozerdigger2020-07-20 16:22

    So today I popped the fill neck off the tank and shined a light in there, reached into the tank and there was some rust moving around at the bottom. I should probably drain this and clean the tank, disconnect lines and blow them out. I did notice there is what cat calls (Pump GP-Fuel transfrer). But I do not know how this is powered or how to test it. Any suggestions

  5. #5Michael Kast2020-11-01 10:09

    I am about to get into this project. I would love to see a photo of this additional $5.00 pre filter installed.

  6. #6NH575E2020-11-01 14:17

    Well this is on my New Holland 575E but it didn't end up protecting me fully. The little filter separated not long ago so I still had to replace it AND the big filter. I also ran into some line seals I think were sucking air which we learned from pumpguy they are called olives. You can see both in this thread. HeavyEquipmentForums