Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

fuel pump problem on D20P-7

jwar100 ยท 2011-02-04 00:24

I took the injector lines loose and can pump fuel with the hand pump through the back three ok, when i turned the engine over to start position i dont get any fuel from the lines. I took off the fuel cutoff cable and moved the kill switch on the pump by hand and it made no difference, still no fuel from the injector pump. the front line will not pump fuel either by hand of turning over the engine. Anyone got some suggestions ?

Replies7
  1. #1k.key2011-02-04 20:13

    Are you opening the throttle while you are cranking with the injector lines cracked?

  2. #2jwar1002011-02-04 20:18

    Yes i have opened the throttle. and tried it in several positions.

  3. #3willie592011-02-04 20:28

    I'm trying to figure out how you're getting fuel out of three injection lines without rolling the engine over? And, how you're able to get fuel out of any injection line using the manual primer lever on the lift pump because the injection pump has to develop considerable pressure to unseat the check valve in the delivery valve to send fuel out an injection line. Seems to me you wouldn't build enough pressure with the hand lever to send fuel out an injection line. :beatsme

  4. #4k.key2011-02-04 20:30

    Did this machine die in the field or just not start on morning?

  5. #5coalrulz2011-02-04 21:09

    jwar100, If you are getting fuel out of pump,#1,#2,#3 when handpriming, with injection lines disconnected, then that means that delivery valves are not functioning normally. Do you get any fuel out of pump #1,#2,#3 when cranking engine with starter? If not your injection pump may not be turning with engine.

  6. #6jwar1002011-02-05 20:29

    I get fuel from #2 #3 and #4 injector lines with the hand pump. No fuel from #1. when turning over the engine i get nothing from any of the injector lines. This machine had been sitting for about five years when i got it, i have never had it started yet.

  7. #7willie592011-02-05 20:40

    I don't claim to be an injection pump expert, but I've worked on a plenty of them. I really believe that injection pump is headed to the pump shop before it will fire an engine. :yup