Recently purchased a Galion 503g grader. It has a f226 continental 6 cyl. I’m looking for an exhaust manifold. Also, does anyone know which newer motors bolt up to the bell housings?
The transaxle housing has a SAE 4 pattern. A JD 4045 D or a 4039 D make great repowers for these graders. The engine is shorter and with some planning, you can do away with the hyd through drive and run it off the front of the engine.
A quick search found these. https://showtimeih.com/shop/massey-mhs012ex-exhaust-manifold-for-bolt-on-style-exhaust-flange-pipe/ https://totco.auctivacommerce.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=1087398
Thanks for the info. These look like updraft manifolds And mine is a downdraft. Any idea if these can just be flipped over?
Thanks for the information
Not sure if they can be flipped. Jensales may have it or some Lincoln welders used the F226 so maybe check with a place like Stumpfs. They may have a used one or be able to get a new one. If you can't find one, I once converted a Chrysler industrial engine that is very similar with a down draft carb to an updraft manifold. I cut 2 mounting flanges and welded 2 pieces of muffler pipe to make a U shape to bolt the carb to. Need to measure to make sure the U is wide enough the carb will have clearance to fit beside the manifold. I think you should be able to find one though just need to do a little searching. https://www.jensales.com/products/massey-ferguson-intake-and-exhaust-manifold-mhs012.html https://www.stumpfweldingsupplies.com/
Any idea on a flywheel or clutch on a repower? I was thinking of going with an industrial 300 6 cyl or something similar. Perhaps use the flywheel for the donor engine and drill and tap holes for the clutch?
When I was a early teen, dad put a 300 Ford 6 in a G. He used the Ford flywheel and the Galion pressure plate. I don’t know if the flywheel needed drilled for the pressure plate or not. He had a local machine shop fab up a plate for adaptation between the two. The engine was really way more than the machine needed, but the torque rise made it a good fit. It was used to grade commercial work for paving jobs. His biggest complaints were that it used 20 gallons of gas in a days work, and it was hot that close to you in the summer.
I would love a diesel but this is pretty much a hobby machine and a 300 Ford can be bought pretty reasonably.I notice there is a piece between the 6 cyl continental and the bell housing. I was assuming I could modify this to fit the Ford.also I found Ford to sae4 adapters online. The old flat head runs great but is in desperate need of exhaust manifold and no one is recasting them. My other thought would be to cut my own flanges and make a header and intake. One last question as I know you have worked on a few 503. Do Any other wheels fit these machines? Mine has the split ring on it. I noticed some L models have big wide rims that look like they mount the same. Mine has 8.25x20. I’ll attach a picture of the wider wheels.
You will run into clearance issues trying to go much wider than the 8.25 20 tires. Before the Co. wound down, we were going to take low pro 22.5 truck tires with Bandag Bandacat tread on Dayton wheels and install them on dads A. The process was going to entail some major work relocating the mount ring in the wheel to change the offset. The big issue is at some point you will start breaking the pinion shaft and the axle shafts. Powering up these machines isn't the issue as they will eventually spin out when overworked. Bigger tires will greatly increase stress to the breaking point quickly. The wider wheels are likely custom items similar to what me and Dad had planned.
Thank you for all the help. Your experience is greatly noticed across the board. I actually priced out some of the cross bar 8.25x20 tires but was worried about getting too much traction and snapping something. Thanks for all the help.
The 8.25 bar lugs are fine, that’s what they came with from the factory. Powering up is still OK as they will spin out when pushed too far. Dad’s A had a modified blade system where we cut the trunnion balls loose from the lift cylinders for more lift, then installed 8” high cutting edges. He was an expert operator that knew the machine and could run it like few could. If I was half the grader man he was, I would still be good. Time, age and arthritis have sadly broken him to where he can run it for only a couple hours at a time and he’s worn out for the week.
I have an open hydraulic spot that used to run the snow plow. I have two small donor cylinders I was going to make the blade pitch adjustable.