I recently, started the rebuild of a nh220 Cummins engine, in a galion motor grader,I have herd of a conversion that involves getting rid of the fuel float tank and replacing it with a nominal fuel filter housing and filter, anyone have any information or specifics on this. Thanks any help is appreciated
Which model Galion do you have? I (very) occasionally drive a Galion 118C with a Cummins that has had the float tank removed. It has a line from the main tank through a filter to the pump, and a return line to the top of the main tank. The engine has been this way for years and seems to operate normally. I will be in the area where the grader is in the next few days and will get photos to show the set-up.
I'm not quite sure model of blade, all the id plates on machine and engine have been removed, it has been a heck of a challenge. Thank you for the information if you are able to get the pictures that would be great. Thank you very much
The tank has nothing to do with filtration. The tank is needed on any of the old Cummins where the fuel tank is above the engine, otherwise fuel can drip into the cylinders when it's parked. Some people remove it, and just put a valve in the fuel line that they turn off anytime the machine is stopped. The danger is, if you forget to turn the valve off and hit the starter, you'll probably be looking for a replacement engine. Having a cylinder with oil in it is the same as having water in it. If you let it get fuel in it, you'll have to pull the injectors and spin the engine.
Thank you very much, Mitch504 even with the folder tank though even with the float tank the injectors leak by and hydro lock the engine, just wanted to take that cause away is all I have here if adding a filter to prevent this, just looking for any ideas. Thank you very much
If the fuel is leaking by with the float tank, the needle valve is leaking in the float tank. How would a filter help this?
You just answered my question, wasn't sure what was all incorporated in the float tank, and your very right unless I put a check valve in line the ad well the filter wouldn't help.
A check valve wouldn't do it either, it prevents backwards flow, and fuel from the tank to the injectors is forward flow.
Wouldn't the shut-off solenoid/valve on the pump cut off the flow through the pump and prevent supply to the injectors? The grader I'm associated with has a gate valve on the main tank outlet that we turn off at the completion of the work day. jbloom; are you positive you have an NH220? Only reason I ask is that if your grader is an older series like a 118, they came with a H743 six cylinder Cummins. Many people mistakenly refer to the H743 as a NH220. The NH series are 4 valves per cylinder and the H is 2 valve. A lot, but not all, parts are shared between the two engines.
I'd think it would, but it doesn't. Maybe it just can't be relied on for 100% closure? :beatsme If it let through 10 cc/hr, the engine would shut right off, but it wouldn't take to many hours to cause a problem.
Sorry been so long to get back to you, here, yes my engine is a nh engine, I think I'm going to just put a ball valve in the supply side until I can have more time with it this summer, thank you guys for the help and information
Anyone have thought on something like this to be used instead of the ball valve? Wire it to be on when key is on and you don't have to remember to turn valve off every time. http://www.amazon.com/Solenoid-Normally-Crack-resistant-U-S-Solid/dp/B007N0DN3Q Just using this one as an example would need to be sure it can be used with fuel oil.