Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gannon repair fail

Jeckyl1920 ยท 2023-02-04 18:34

I can't... I just don't understand...

Replies14
  1. #1CM19952023-02-04 18:57

    Well anyone that would use snap binders would think that's a repair.

  2. #2Birken Vogt2023-02-04 19:09

    I like snap binders thank you very much.

  3. #3Jeckyl19202023-02-04 19:10

    Lol, a bit overkill to put screws to a 22,000 lbs machine.

  4. #4CM19952023-02-04 20:07
  5. #5Jeckyl19202023-02-04 20:27

    They are fine for anything up to a cat 450 backhoe. If they fail, it is operator error. 20 years, I've never had one fail on me. To each their own... Our screws are all rusted because the biggest think we haul is ~35k, maybe a hand full of times a year. I will happily mock anyone that uses screws for a skid steer, track leeboy or skip loader.

  6. #6Tyler d4c2023-02-04 21:51

    I've been think of getting a few for hualing belt rolls. Snug it with the snap then cranker down with the ratchet loose rolls can make a 10 hour trip a 13 when your stopping every 50 miles to re hook binders

  7. #7Welder Dave2023-02-04 22:49

    I'm a little confused what the original post was about?

  8. #8Tyler d4c2023-02-05 08:12

    The plate that was added to the box Blade should be flat on the trailer setting The box blade is Gannon who was a manufacturer of them at one time. Atleast this is my take on it

  9. #9Jeckyl19202023-02-05 09:08

    Yep. I set the Gannon down as close to flat as this well bent Gannon gets. It should be about 1/2" to 1" above the trailer and flat

  10. #10Welder Dave2023-02-05 17:57

    Some box blades have a similar angle to that. It looks like that box blade has replaceable corner bits too.

  11. #11OzDozer2023-02-05 22:02

    I'm more concerned about someone simply slipping a chain hook over the lip of the channel iron to hold the machine down - rather than using the D-ring, right next to where the hook is located! Surely the Highway Patrol guys or DOT inspectors would jump on you for a gyppo tiedown like that?

  12. #12redneckracin2023-02-06 07:21

    I was think I was thinking the same thing.... There is nothing stopping that hook from sliding around, atleast go underneath and grab a cross member, or go back to the D ring! If you look closely though, the inside blade is touching the deck.

  13. #13Jeckyl19202023-02-06 12:34

    It has a piece of rebar welded under the lip to keep the hook in place. Using the D ring bends the chain around the tire or box. This was our low bed driver's solution so he could use our shorter chains. I agreed with you when he did this... but I actually have to hit those hooks with steel to get them off that channel. They didn't want to cut the channel for a link slot.

  14. #14Jeckyl19202023-02-06 15:39

    There is a piece of rebar welded under the lip to keep the hook from moving. We used to hook the cross member, and the lowbed driver liked this idea better. The back blade is sitting on the deck too... the box is bent, broken and welded back shut. It looks like someone tried to demo a block wall with it... The back cutting edge has a nice radius to it, but the front blade is sitting flat on the deck. The light under the front blade is because of a piece of diamond plate welded over the tires because the paver kept breaking the deck boards due to the longer span for tire clearance.