Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

getting clutch to work properly 580c

Mike450136 ยท 2023-02-03 17:19

The cutout solenoid gives me 3.6 ohms. I have replaced the floor switch and solenoid in the dash and got the solenoid in the engine area to make a clunk sound when the switch is pressed but if I press and hold the floor switch it still grinds when I try to change gears. any ideas?

Replies8
  1. #1Acecadet2023-02-03 17:36

    So the output out of your shuttle is constantly turning even when disengaged? I wonder if the clutch packs are fried and the steels are warped causing constant dragging.

  2. #2stinky642023-02-04 10:25

    I'm no expert but, just because you can hear the solenoid clunking doesn't mean it's disengaging. The solenoid actuates a plunger in the valve assembly inside the shuttle that contains several spools, springs and o-rings that may not all be functioning correctly. Hopefully someone can post a picture of the shuttle assy, I'm not that gifted, when you see the picture you'll have a better understanding. If you're gonna work on that machine I highly suggest purchasing or downloading the parts and service manuals because more than likely that won't be your only repair on that vintage beauty.

  3. #3stinky642023-02-05 04:51

    Does the clutch cutout on the floor or the brake pedal work while in gear, does this function work when not trying to shift? If so when and what gear is all this grinding taking place?

  4. #4Shimmy12023-02-05 10:20

    I think you are trying to use the cutout for something it's not designed for. The clutch cutout is to disengage the drive in order to raise the loader/dump the bucket without using the shuttle lever. I'd bet if you shift the shuttle into neutral you can change gears just fine. If you're stopped.

  5. #5Tinkerer2023-02-05 13:56

    Your thread title is---- Getting Clutch to Work Properly 580c. Does the tractor have a clutch pedal ?

  6. #6Tatersmt2023-02-05 15:30

    What Shimmy says, I have a 580C and I have to shift the shuttle into neutral to change gears.

  7. #7stinky642023-02-05 19:26

    From the Case operators manual 9-4972....".The four speed transmission is synchromeshed in 3rd and 4th gears. This means it can be shifted from 2nd to 3rd to 4th and back to 3rd without stopping the machine. Before shifting, depress the clutch (mechanical shuttle models) or push down the clutch cut-out pedal (power shuttle models) and complete the shift. Do not overspeed the engine when downshifting. Always keep the engine speed within the green zone on the tachometer. The machine must be stopped when upshifting from 1st to 2nd and when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd to 1st. The clutch or clutch cut-out pedal must be fully depressed before making the shift." end quote. There's also pedal activated cut-out switches on the actual pedals that work great when pushing snow, no need to flip the shuttle lever into neutral. Dude says it's got a cut-out solenoid so me thinks no clutch. Sure would be swell if he would follow up.

  8. #8Tinkerer2023-02-06 08:58

    Here are the shifting details in .jpeg format from a different edition of the operators manual. Thanks to the people at Minnparr.com the entire manual can be downloaded here ---> https://cdn.minnpar.com/partbooks/C...C/CASE 580C OPERATORS MANUAL (COMPRESSED).pdf