Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gasboy diesel pump

IceHole · 2023-12-16 23:31

Have a 1000 gallon diesel tank I setup this fall. Tank hadn't been used in probably a decade and was bone dry. The pump worked fine after filling the tank, but was leaking between the pump body and motor and getting worse each use. Like a gallon or two leaking while pumping 40 or 50 gallons. Never had to prime it or anything, just leaked. I resealed it, and fought and fought to get it to work. I ended up piping in my M18 pump at the nozzle end and sucking fuel through. Worked fine after, thought it was fixed. Well, if it doesn't get used for a week or two, same deal. Runs but won't pump fuel. Have to suck fuel through... literally 2-3 seconds of the M18 being on, and it's "fixed" I've put old parts back, triple checked gaskets, etc with no change. Nothing leaks fuel and otherwise is fine, ither than being slow. Supposedly a 15gpm pump, but it's maybe half that. It has a foot valve at the suction pipe in the tank. Like for a well. Is that normal? As far as I can tell it's been like that since I stall, I'd guess 70s, maybe 80s at the newest. I had one on a Graco pump and it caused leaking issues when the hose got hot in the sun as the expanding fuel couldn't bleed off. This gasboy has an internal check valve with a pressure relief setup, probably for that reason. Looks like this...

Replies37
  1. #1Coaldust2023-12-17 00:18

    Going off memory, that looks like a model 72. Really solid pumps. They are worth fixing. What you explain, sounds to me, like the bypass valve is slowly leaking. The plastic cup shaped valve/gasket thingamagig could be cracked or the gasket dried up. I suggest double checking that. Good luck.

  2. #2crane operator2023-12-17 09:01

    None of my fuel pumps have a foot valve on the bottom of the lift pipe.

  3. #3HarleyHappy2023-12-17 10:29

    Can’t have 2 check valves.

  4. #41693TA2023-12-17 10:36

    Mine has no check or foot valve either.

  5. #5IceHole2023-12-17 12:35

    Has mostly new parts. New rotor, vanes, check valve, gaskets, etc. I put a $250 kit in it. Did seal the leak I was fixing at least. Bypass is metal, spring loaded and controls the pressure.

  6. #6IceHole2023-12-17 12:35

    Has a check valve unless you removed it.

  7. #7IceHole2023-12-17 12:36

    Certainly can. Worked that way for 40+ years.

  8. #81693TA2023-12-17 12:39

    I was vague in response. Nothing external to the pumping unit; only the pipe with a screen attached to it's opening.

  9. #9Welder Dave2023-12-17 18:56

    Gasboy used to be the pump of choice in manual and electric pumps. The manual pumps had a round ball on the handle. I liked it better that the D handle on my Fillrite. You could stand at any angle to pump. I thought I read somewhere the vanes need to be worn in on fuel pumps. Maybe after using it several times it will stop leaking back.

  10. #10IceHole2023-12-18 02:01

    Does the same with the orginal. They weren't very worn, but since I had them I replaced it. Pump only has pumped ~15,000 gallons.

  11. #11IceHole2024-02-18 17:53

    Still having trouble with it. I'm about ready to rip it out and huck it in the woods but a new one is $1500.

  12. #12IceHole2024-02-25 21:46

    Wellll apparently it's the nozzle! Primes fine without it. Like the nozzle doesn't allow air to pass or something. It's an auto nozzle, but never have had trouble with them before. Have similar one on a smaller transfer tank, no trouble. It actually came off the big tank.

  13. #13Welder Dave2024-02-26 00:33

    I ditched my auto nozzle because it wouldn't work if it got below freezing. Arctic auto nozzles are much better but also much more expensive.

  14. #14IceHole2024-02-26 04:28

    Usually a squirt of methanol fixes that. Least that's what we do up north at work.

  15. #15Welder Dave2024-02-26 04:38

    It was just too much of a pain if the weather got a little cold. It started acting up even in warmer weather too. I didn't want to buy a $300 Arctic nozzle.

  16. #16Coaldust2024-02-26 23:32

    That rings a bell. Around 2018, one of the big fuel nozzle dispenser manufacturers re-designed their 1” high flow and it was a disaster for us. Trying to remember. I was purchasing them from a local vender that was promoting them heavy. I was placing many new AST installs around Anchorage. Like IceHole mentioned, the nozzles would not allow the transfer pumps to prime. I eventually had to replace them all with Husky. The manufacturer offered to warranty my big box of nozzles, but the replacements had the same problem after a short time in service.

  17. #17Shimmy12024-02-27 08:30

    The safety Nazis ruined nozzles just like every other thing that used to work fine and now is junk. The new design requires the nozzle to have pressure to open. As of a couple years ago, you could still special order non-safety ones, not sure any more.

  18. #18cfherrman2024-02-27 09:09

    It was super hard for me to figure out the auto nozzle. 1. If pump is not primed take off nozzle and prime. 2. Leave nozzle shut and turn on pump, let pump bog down and hit the bypass, then open nozzle.

  19. #19IceHole2025-03-01 17:08

    Ended up giving up and put another pump in it about a month ago. Only way I could get the old setup to flow if it sat was sucking through the hose with my M18 transfer pump then screwing the nozzle back in. Then it'd be fine for a week or so. Got a good deal on a Fillrite 35gpm with 1" hose... from the outfit that I guess sets up our fuel tanks and trucks at work. Dunno, found it on the Facebook. Figured it'd flow like crazy, but only getting about 10gpm. Old pump was about 7gpm, so hardly a difference. Old pump was rated to 15gpm I believe. I'm assuming they are rated without filter or hose? New pump is a huge heavy pig compared to the old one. I ended up chaining it to the forklift to put it on the tank.

  20. #20cfherrman2025-03-01 19:59

    Ratings are cherry picked. Lift and filters will cut it a lot

  21. #21IceHole2025-03-01 20:22

    Flow wasn't a huge deal, though with a 54 gallon tank on the truck it sure seems slow. Big truck has dual 75s, but I haven't run it much. Apparently US gas stations are restricted to only 10 gpm? So maybe just my imagination on my setup taking much longer to fill.

  22. #22cfherrman2025-03-01 20:54

    Truck stops have some fast pumps

  23. #23heymccall2025-03-01 21:30

    You using a filter? Here, we have 35 gpm pumps pushing thru 15gpm filters. Slow operation and hit or miss auto shutoff.

  24. #24Welder Dave2025-03-01 21:43

    Auto shut off is great if you want spend as much for the nozzle as the pump cost. The cheap auto nozzles only work in warm weather and constantly drip no matter what you do. Holding the nozzle well below the tank and pulling the lever with the pump off doesn't stop the dripping.

  25. #25IceHole2025-03-02 01:28

    The high flow, but I can't use that with my 2 pickups and my car can't fit the bigger nozzle. The fill pipes aren't angled enough so it overflows, usually on my pant legs.

  26. #26IceHole2025-03-02 01:30

    Pump setup new was $1800. The Husky auto off nozzle was maybe $100. So.....

  27. #27Bumpsteer2025-03-02 01:48

    Gasboy is long out of business....there is (was) a company supporting them. They made a good product. I just googled "gasboy pump parts, they had what I needed. Ed

  28. #28Welder Dave2025-03-02 02:01

    The Husky/Fill-Rite $100 auto nozzle is very low quality. Won't work in the cold and it's the type that you can't stop the dripping. The Arctic auto nozzles are better but well over $200 bucks. Price reference was for a standard 12 volt 13 GPM pump. A got a good deal on a Fill-Rite 13 GPM pump with auto nozzle on sale. Back window on my truck had a constant dirty area from the nozzle dripping and there was diesel spilled in the corner of the truck box. I finally got fed up with it when it wouldn't work at just below freezing temp. Having to take the nozzle off to get fuel is a PIA. I put a std. nozzle on and it works whenever I need it to and doesn't constantly drip. I'm not paying $250 for an Arctic nozzle I only use a couple times a year in the cold. I also don't know if the (Fiil-Rite) Arctic nozzles are any better for not dripping. I'm sure a nozzle like on service station pumps is quite a bit more $$$ than a Fill-Rite Arctic nozzle.

  29. #29IceHole2025-03-02 02:09

    Yeah, Goldenrod. Apparently recommended flow is 25gpm. Works fine at home, but doesn't get all that cold. Usually only gets down around -25*.

  30. #30Coaldust2025-03-02 02:52

    My nozzle drips all the time, too. It burns, man. Holy cow. I’m not sure what to do.

  31. #31crane operator2025-03-02 08:30
  32. #32stinky642025-03-02 09:56

    Penicillin and a healthy dose of miss Janine there, then 2 more shots.

  33. #33IceHole2025-03-02 12:27

    Is the Chem-tek filter better? They claim 40gpm on some. I tried to order but there's like 78 different filters and I have no idea which is what I'd need! Goldenrod is nice that it's drainage and can see in it, but the plastic busts pretty easy from the sun.

  34. #34Welder Dave2025-03-02 14:10

    They've got a Depends for that.

  35. #35Coaldust2025-03-02 15:44

    The cool thing about CIM-TEK is the wide range of filter ratings. The 30 micron #70088 with cellulose media is popular. And made in the USA.

  36. #36IceHole2025-03-02 18:38

    Says it's only good to 25 gpm though.

  37. #37Coaldust2025-03-02 19:39

    Might have to size up the filter head and go for the big flow.