Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gaskets…

hosspuller ยท 2017-08-22 18:19

I'm assembling an aluminum differential case with a gasket. I would really like a leak free case since getting this piece out was a bear and don't want to do it again. Deere says to use a sealant on the surfaces of the case AND the gasket. But manual doesn't specify what sealant. What is your suggestion ? PS ... it's a 30 year old 900 series front lawn mower filled with ATF

Replies17
  1. #1Cmark2017-08-22 18:42

    Permatex #3 https://www.permatex.com/products/g...x-aviation-form-a-gasket-no-3-sealant-liquid/

  2. #2repowerguy2017-08-22 18:48

    Well I would recommend the gray Mack silicone I get from my local dealer. It will pretty much seal up any housing. IF it is a warped or sketchy housing, I have used windshield urethane to seal up some things as a last chance. I have used this to seal up beat to death Mack top loader rear ends, just make sure you dont want it back out of the housing, it aint easy!

  3. #3farmerlund2017-08-22 20:02

    +1 more for the aviation permatex. good stuff.

  4. #4DIYDAVE2017-08-22 21:26

    Indian head shellac is cheap, and pretty durable, too. As long as there is no alcohol up against it...

  5. #5hosspuller2017-08-23 15:57

    I thought I was getting Permatex #3 when I grabbed this off the shelf. Will this do or should I return it ?

  6. #6Junkyard2017-08-23 17:19

    Looks to me to be the same thing just a different brand.

  7. #7kshansen2017-08-23 19:06

    VersaChem appears to be the home use division of the company that sells Devcon products for industrial applications so I would expect it to be a very good product. http://www.itwconsumer.com/index.cfm

  8. #8tbone14712017-08-24 19:41

    I use international sealer. It is a grey color. If you put it on something with an oil residue you can see it push the oil away from the surface. I have no clue who makes it for them but it is something like 30 or 40 a tube. Hasn't let me down yet

  9. #9Truck Shop2017-08-24 19:54

    Napa brand {The Right Stuff-Gray} is all I use on rear drives and rear structures on Series 60's. The most important thing is clean the surface with lacquer thinner before applying any sealant types. Truck Shop

  10. #10gtermini2017-08-25 11:39

    I use Loctite 518 anaerobic sealant if the fit is good (not gaps bigger than 10-20 thou). It stays a little flexible, but cures well. It's like a thick version of purple 545 screw/fitting loctite sealant. It will seal a tore up pipe thread at 200 psi if allowed to cure for a day. The excess squeezed out doesn't cure and doesn't plug pickup screens like permatex. Great temp and chemical exposure range as well. I started using it on chainsaw jugs instead of the supplied gasket to up the compression and avoid leaks that cause lean running saw death. https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-50ml-Gasket-Eliminator-Tube/dp/B000FONONG No matter what you use, getting the surfaces clean is the biggest thing.

  11. #11Junkyard2017-08-25 12:09

    We used that in a shop I helped out in a couple years ago. The foreman would use it EVERYWHERE. I think he contemplated making a solid block so he could machine parts out of it! It got so bad we got ahold of his phone and made his ring tone "The Right Stuff" by New Kids on the Block.

  12. #12StanRUS2017-08-26 13:06

    Cat dropped their brand of sealants and adhesives and sell Loctite products now. I was told Cat purchased Loctite, not true. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henkel Permatex owned ITW makers of Miller welders and product https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois_Tool_Works

  13. #13hosspuller2017-09-02 09:45

    Guys ... The #3 aviation has done the job well. No leaks. I thought I would never get all the pieces back together, but the mower is finally mowing again. Thanks.

  14. #14bteigrob2017-09-02 10:41

    Junkyard, that is funny right there man. I had never heard the song, but youtube fixed that now and was a good one.

  15. #15Junkyard2017-09-02 10:59

    I'm slightly embarrassed I know that song. My younger sister loved them back in the day. I got drug to a concert, I think so my old man had some backup in the testosterone dept!!! How mom conned him into taking a bunch of girls I will never know, not sure I want to!

  16. #16bteigrob2017-09-02 12:43

    haha, nope pretty sure you don't need to know how your mom accomplished that lol

  17. #17Junkyard2017-09-02 14:47

    Knowing her it was more frying pan than anything else!