Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

parking brake valve wont pop

Hydro101 ยท 2006-06-09 11:28

hello, quick question one of my guys is going for his cdl test using our 2001 pete 330. i was going through the pretrip with him with your flutter the brake pedal to drain the air tank. so we drained the tank but the parking brake valve never popped out and activated the parking brakes any idea if this is a simple fix before i call my mechanic? i dont want him to fail cuz of it. thanks

Replies12
  1. #1Grader4me2006-06-09 18:04

    Your maxi should spike at around 20lbs psi at the lowest. If it didn't spike at all and you did have it off before fanning your brakes, then you definitely have a problem. Not only due to the test, but you shouldn't drive this truck until the problem is fixed. Maybe some of the other guys can shed some light on this but probally a mechanic is needed.

  2. #2digger242j2006-06-09 18:54

    Disclaimer: I ain't no mechanic. It sounds like it's the valve, right there in the dashboard that's the problem. If my understanding is correct, it senses the system pressure and pops when it gets too low. You can get valves that fit the same, but pop at different pressures too, i.e. 30 lbs. or 60 lbs. I never did one in a truck, but my 680 has air brakes, and I've done it at least twice in that. It's not all that hard.

  3. #3Hydro1012006-06-09 19:02

    alright thanks guys.. i called my mechanic anyway i was just fishing to see what i was in for... lol

  4. #4Ford LT-90002006-06-09 19:34

    Hey wait a min before you go see a mechanic did you check to see if the maxi brakes applied themselves ? You do know some maxi switches don't pop the ones in the Louisville Fords don't pop. As for changing the valve its no big deal just becareful pulling the dash panels out. When you get the panel out so you can get at the fittings un-do the fittings take the valve out of panel and put new one in don't over tighten the fittings. The plastic air line can break they are furrel fittings. When putting the panel back in take your time everything has to fit back in you may have to wiggle things around.

  5. #5jmac2006-06-10 11:16

    Sorry to hijack, Question for Ford the 89 mack seems to have a 10 speed. You can use low for 1,2,3 and high for 1,2,3, . 4,5,6 just high. R low and high. Are all these seperate gears? You can shift from low to high in the middle.

  6. #6Ford LT-90002006-06-10 14:38

    I'am not sure Like I meantioned Mack has some real odd ball transmissions if you go to Mack Trucks website you can get online manuals that will give you some details about the transmission. With Mack transmissions they live up to the saying can't find it grind it :yup I really only drove one Mack it was a 8spd I don't know if I shifted it right or not.

  7. #7jmac2006-06-10 15:45

    Just got back from driving the Mack and I was wrong, can not shift from high to low unless you are in 1. So low in 1,2,3 only no more after that. You have to start all over again in high. Found a few leaks so have to get them fixed oh well.

  8. #8Jeff D.2006-06-10 16:22

    That the weird thing I've noticed alot of.Trucks,and probably most equipment,after sitting for some time develope seal leaks.Sometimes they'll go away on their own,but if not the seals have to be replaced. I try and run the equipment on a shakedown run after I buy it(a few hundred miles)then powerwash everything clean again,and see whats still leaking.Anything still leaking/seeping I'll replace then. Axle wheel/pinion seals are the worst offenders.One dealership called it "Lot rot" because it didn't leak when it was parked.They said even brand new trucks,that sit too long,have it happen.They must get dried out,and stiffen up. I hope she works out good for you otherwise,Jmac.

  9. #9Ford LT-90002006-06-10 17:36

    The same goes with vehicals that have been stored for a long time. You see trucks forsale and it says been stored for years usually that means bad news because every seal is going to leak. The worst leak is when the wheel seals decide to go then you end up soaking the brake shoes then it turns into a brake job $$$$ jmac I was poking around Macks website the transmission you have is a 7spd the way you shift it is 1-2-3-4-5 is full gears but you have a splitter that only works on 4 and 5. Most Mack trucks in this area have a 12spd or a Fuller transmission. The local lumber yard still runs a Mack its around 88-89 350hp with a 8LL good tough old truck but boy does it need lots of room to turn. The thing with your truck you bought jmac is it will be easy to overload the truck with that box so your gonna have to be carefull you may end up with some overweight fines :bouncegri

  10. #10jmac2006-06-10 18:27

    Good suggestion I will wait to have leak fixed till I have 200 miles on it. The leak is from a plate on the side of the tranny. Just drops of fluid looks easy to fix, new gasket and can get to it easy. The overload problem is something I have thought about, I think about 15 ton should be enough or around 14 yards. The truck will haul and hold alot more. Just took for another drive and the hill that my old truck would go up around 20mph max and most of the way 10 mph empty. This truck went up in 4th and around 40mph and still had more to give, could of went 50mph. What a difference, this is a real truck very happy so far. The turning radius is huge, a lot bigger than old truck need to get used to that. I love that sound and power of the jake what a great thing that is ! No brakes needed for most of the hill WOW. I did get a DOT before I purchased but need to get NYS inspection Monday. why did I spend my money on the first truck? Live and learn.

  11. #11Steve Frazier2006-06-11 11:32

    Seals have a tendency to adhere to the shaft they surround when left idle for extended periods. Then when the seal is next rotated, it can often get a very slight tear in it which starts the leak. Sometimes they will repair themselves through use if the tear is small enough, but often times not. I don't have an explanation for gaskets. From the pictures, it looks like there's room for a pusher axle on your truck. I'm pretty sure you can register at 80,000 pounds with the pusher. Otherwise I think you're limited to around 54,000. I don't know if R permits are still valid or not, but you'd have to buy a used truck with the permit assigned to get one. Even with the pusher, you can easily exceed legal limits with that truck. You can rarely load a dump to its volume capacity without exceeding weight restrictions. My 550 can physically hold 6 yards, but to be legal I can only carry 3. It's real frustrating. Back in the 80s, you paid monthly "dues" to the State in the form of overload tickets which had a flat rate fine of $200. The Troopers would write you one ticket per month and leave you alone otherwise. Now things are different, fines are by the pound overweight and a real heavy load can put you out of business. I know of one instance here locally where the hauler surrendered his registration in lieu of the fine, it was that high.

  12. #12jmac2006-06-11 11:45

    Steve, I was told it could be as high as $2 a pound over! That was one of the main reason I spent another $15k this year on a different truck. In my old truck pulling trailer I was 10k over. A $20k fine at $2 a pound, that could and would put me in a would of hurt.