Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gear oil dispenser

catfixer ยท 2016-05-31 09:33

I have been tasked with finding something other than regular bucket pumps for gear oil dispensing. The higher ups want something that won't splash out bouncing around in a truck and will keep rain water out. I have been trying like hell to find one of those metal gear oil cans with the pump built in, but the only one I can find available in the us is over $600. anybody know where I can find about a half dozen of them for a more reasonable price? or have another solution to offer.

Replies12
  1. #1StanRUS2016-05-31 10:03

    Try eBay, look for the old Cat pump used for greasing rollers or adding oil You can also use pressurized air tank, works okay

  2. #2hetkind2016-05-31 16:16

    Just build a can with lid the bucket fits into...and bolt the outer can down.

  3. #3inthedirt2016-05-31 20:20

    Try this. I bought a 10# siphon feed sandblast pot from Harbor Freight (~$50). When you get it out of the box, forget all of the siphon hose setup. Just run a hose off the bottom of the tank and put a shut off valve at the end. Screw an air fitting in the neck and use a regulator to cut the air down. The tank already has a pop-off valve made in, so its safe. Just pour in your oil, screw in the cap, pressurize it and let the air push the oil in. j have used it in winter time and even with thick gear oil, it goes in pretty quick. And it won't fill up witb water.... Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

  4. #4mitch5042016-05-31 20:52

    I took a 20 pound propane tank, welded a 2" pipe nipple into the top, screwed a cap on that; welded in a piece of 1/2 pipe long enough to reach the bottom, screwed a hose onto that. I screwed a 15 lb regulator into the hole I took the tank valve out of. I put a ball valve on the end of the hose, then a curved piece of 1/2" copper tubing. I can plug air into the regulator, the crawl under with the hose, and control it with the valve.

  5. #5Bumpsteer2016-05-31 22:44

    A friend used an old fire extinguisher, was the type that used water. Unscrew the top, add gear oil, give a low charge of air and have at it. Would recommend re-labeling it very well....... Ed

  6. #6caterpillarmech2016-06-01 06:15

    My dad built a five gallon bucket of his own. Schedule 40 pipe with all the fittings like the one mitch built. Very handy.

  7. #7Willie B2016-06-01 07:06

    I have several refrigerant tanks. I cut a hole near the top, TIG in a black pipe nipple. A Tee goes on it. A galvanized plug gets drilled, and a copper tube long enough to almost reach the bottom is soldered into it, leaving a couple inches sticking out. The led of the Tee gets a Schrader valve, and cap. A second larger nipple is cut, and welded in to fill the tank. Put a cap on it. Drill a vent hole through the thread of this nipple at an upward angle four or five threads from the end, or use the valve built into the tank to vent. I use a flex hose with a small nipple in the other end I can cap to prevent drool. To use, put a small air pressure in the tank. When the gearbox is full, open the vent valve to relieve pressure in the tank. Store with vent open. As these are homemade, I can't promise they will survive the scrutiny of safety inspectors. Willie

  8. #8walkerv2016-06-01 08:15

    If cat fixer is working for some kind of a corporation like i do homade is out of the question unless its a small tool he can stash and no one sees it , I like the sounds of the harbor freight sand blaster can though he might get away with that

  9. #9walkerv2016-06-01 08:27

    this is all i found its around the 600 buck range if thats what they want they shouldnt have a problem getting it , if price is an issue tell them to get you a lube skid for the truck at the tune of 20k plus , $3600 wont look so bad to them then . http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemD...NiBajsA7Mmfbr7TAC6JUwNgP_vFtjmmhwEaAjac8P8HAQ

  10. #10catfixer2016-06-01 11:22

    We have a lube skid that bounces from truck to truck, but we need something we can use up on tower cranes and such.

  11. #11RobertJ2016-06-01 23:58

    This is what I use for gear oil. Its defiantly better than a bucket pump, they are pretty tough too. I actually found one the other day on the side of the road, a little scuffed up but still half full of oil. http://www.oilsafesystem.com/oss-oil-safe/oss-Oil-Safe-Drums-and-Lids

  12. #12Tags2016-06-08 19:47

    Stumbled across this today looking for something else but it may work for you, I'm thinking about getting one now so my gear oil doesn't end up all over the floor.... https://www.motiveproducts.com/products/powerfill-pro-1-5-gallon-tank