I was cleaning the shop this afternoon and thought it would be a good idea to post a picture of some pullers I use on equipment.Some were made for spacific jobs.
what is the one next to the steering wheel puller? almost looks like a slide hammer?
It is a puller made to reach over a shaft to pull a bering.I made it when I had to change a transmission bering in the dozer.Without the puller,I would have had to pull the tranny to get the bering out.Look closely,Its a pipe with a cap & nut on one end.And on the other end you will see the inner bering race welded to it.I slip the puller over the shaft,then weld it to the race,the bolt pushes against the shaft end pulls it off.
Nice homemade pullers. I've had to make some myself to remove special size or shaped bearings/gears. If anyone is going out and buying a set of new gear pullers look for posi-lock pullers. They've got a cage type thing that holds the arms of the puller locked on the gear and you can really put some pressure on them. Also they don't tend to fly off like some of the cheap pullers you buy.
25c, here's one of the best investments I've made. A 30 ton Enerpac cylinder with hollow center. It can be used to remove as well as install bushings or pins with threaded holes in them. The hole through the center is big enough to put a 1" threaded rod through. I've used it to install bushings on the bucket pivot pin at the end of the arm on a Kobelco SK480, pushed them in with no difficulty. These things retail for around $900 bucks, I snagged this one off Ebay for $375. It been one of the best buys I've made. 1st pic: Using cylinder to remove swing cylinder pin bushing that wouldn't take grease on a JCB 214E. Old bearings come in handy for pushing tools: 2nd pic: What the set up looks like after removal. Nut/Plate, tapered bearing for pushing, removed bushing, oversize bearing for bushing to fit inside, cylinder, plate/nut: 3rd pic: Re-installing bushing:
Good pictures ATCOEQUIP.Looks like a very handy tool.Would you take 376.00 for it?
I dunno...no, not a chance! This thing's just too handy!
I dident think you would part with it but I had to try anyway.
Can't say's I blame ya', I'd give 'er a try also! Just before I nabbed this thing, we replaced all the bushings in the front loader frame of a Deere 555G. Man, that was a three ring circus! Freezing bushings in dry ice helps, but if it doesn't go in quickly, the heat from the bushing boss will transfer to the frozen bushing causing it to expand, and it's get out the pounding plate and the sledge hammer! I've used this cylinder to install all kinds of bushings. It usually takes longer to set up all the correct push/pull parts than it does to actually push or pull the bushing, without all the hammering and sweat. Plus, it can be used as a 30 ton jack as well. I used it to lift and remove the wheels on a JLG 110HX, which is somewhere around 40K pounds. It's a useful addition to a shop tool assortment.
Thats a very impressive tool you've got there. Gonna have to look in to gettin one of those. I have a drawer full of misc old parts and oddball stuff that come in real handy for pressing in bushings and bearings. Lots of homemade slug wrenches, pushers and pullers. I have a hard time throwing anything away if I think I may use it someday. Probably explains why the shop is a mess.
Hey ATCO Digging up and old tread here i guess:drinkup Really like the enerpac, i have a hollow cylinder also, the guy said its 30 ton but i think its more like 20 ton! but its never been beaten!! Really useful tool aswell!! i was wondering what size the center hole is and what size of bushes it can pull cheers CPS
Yeah, if you have one, I'm certain you've found it to be a useful tool. The one I have is the RCH-302, 30 ton. The center hole is 1.33" so you can use a 1 1/4" rod through it. Not sure about the size bushings it will move, I haven't found one to stop it yet. But it sure is one handy tool.