I took the assessment test for the Northern California apprenticeship program over 2 years ago and I thought I got a decent score. It was the highest out of the group I was testing with anyway. I usually call them once or twice a year to get an idea where I stand on the waiting list, and after the first year it looked somewhat promising. I called a couple months ago and they said a bunch of people were scoring higher than me and I was apparently getting pushed further back on the waiting list. I'm getting older......I'm 34 now and I was wondering if they discriminate based on age even though they say they don't on the website. I know construction is still slow, but are there other ways to become an operating engineer apprentice other than waiting to get into the training program? Any advice would be appreciated.
Hi. I think the average age is about where your at. So don't worry about that. You probably should get a class A cdl with all endorsements. They want that for sure! This will also help, when your name is at the bottom of list. Need to work... So you can drive truck in the mean while. Sorry to say you will waiting for awhile... The economy dictates how many guys they take in for the most part. Get with your local community college and take apprenticeship prep classes. This should give you a some more points. After completed retake test-score higher?Or- Get into the labors union first- get your journeyman card! Then you bi-pass everybody. You will have the knowledge what and how to do it from the ground view! You will be a better operator. Also pulling duel union cards-means you will work all of time... Pm with email & I will answer any questions. I had a ruff time through it all. Maybe I can help...
Unfortunatly for someone trying to break in, it's got a lot to do with "knowing someone". If you're on the list, get out to the jobs where the OE's are working and try to sell yourself to the bossman (if that's allowed). Age discrimination doesn't start until about 50. If you've got skills, great. If you've never sat in a seat before, it's going to be tough. You didn't say what kind of equipment you want to operate, but something that's going in my area that really impacts things is the lack of "oilers". An oiler used to be assigned to every crawer crane, hoe/grade-all etc. That was where the apprentices entered the system. With everybody "trimming the fat" companies stopped allowing oilers to be hired on the jobs. That killed 90% of the new apprentice intake. Average age of an OE is getting way up there, they need to do something about it soon. It's a real problem.
Whats your work history and experience level?
Thanks for the replies. I went the college route mainly because that's what was expected of me. I got a degree in construction management, then I worked 2 years as a project engineer for a company, then I worked 4 years as an estimator and project manager for another company. I got let go when the economy took a dump, then I got my contractors license and tried finding my own work. I've been doing that for the last 4 years. I love doing the work but the jobs are few and far between. As far as operating experience goes, it is limited. I grew up operating track loaders on family owned property mainly doing land clearing. I run a mini excavator for my own business and I am decent on it. All I can say is that most of the people I have worked for have been impressed, but they are just home owners. I also run skip loaders and CTL's though I have never run Bobcat with foot controls. I also help a friend maintain property with his CTL with a 6 way blade and his backhoe. Other than a handful of bigger equipment that I basically just went for a joyride in, that pretty much sums up my operating experience. I would much rather run equipment than work in an office. I've always been more of a hands on type of person, and have always gotten along with the field guys a lot more than the office guys. I really just never outgrew the sand box and probably should have tried to make the switch to the operators seat a little earlier in my life.
Hi Palmer, I have heard the same thing that people with better scores on operating equipment will pass up ones with lower scores. If you have a training site you can go to, go as often as you can and challenge yourself on grading. Pick a tractor and stick with it till you can grade an area in less time and less movements as possible (SAFELY). After you bulk out an area, go for grading edges and corners, the middle will come easy. Don't give up on your dream job. John Madden says there are 3 kinds of people, 1. people who make things happen. 2. People that watch things happen. 3. people who don't know what is happening.
Gotta remember this LOL it's true!. Palmer my son went through the same thing trying to get in Rancho Murettia He did well on the written and waited and waited to get in the training program. They finally called him up after 2 years but by that time he had a good job elsewhere. Frustrating I know.
Well, this thread is a bit discouraging. I just took the assessment test for IUOE 428 in AZ. I scored 1 173 out of 180. I am waiting for a meeting at the Union hall that is next month. Is there anything you guys can tell me as to what to expect at this meeting? Arizona seems to have quite a bit of highway work going on and infrastructure work for housing tracts is starting to pick up around Phoenix. I am 43 and decided to make a change from home construction and remodeling to heavy equipment operation. I have driven small dozers and skid steer loaders but that was years ago. Like riding a bike right? My Pop was a Sea Bee in Viet Nam and he loved his job. He recently passed away and I was looking through some pictures and he had a smile on his face in every one that he was operating equipment in. This is mostly why I decided to pursue heavy equipment operations. I am definitely more of an outside rather than inside person too. I don't know if I should have piggybacked on this thread but it seemed like the most relevant place for my post. Any tips, pointers or general advice will be appreciated.
that sounds like me.. been in computers but the jobs are drying up due to the "do more with less" business going on everywhere. It's double bad in computers because you compete with india/china for jobs. I started my business over 5 years ago and its been slow & steady. I can't think of *anything* I'd rather do than be in the seat of an excavator. I still have one foot in both careers but like you I'm getting older and I guess need to **** or get off the pot here soon. Scary thinking of going into apprentice and not getting money for my mortgage or other expenses due to no work. I've thought about moving overseas to get work. If anything I've found that jobs are tight in every industry. Nobody wants newcomers in their line of work - more competition for fewer jobs. But the old guys are going to be retiring, and someone needs to be there to fill their shoes.
" Nobody wants newcomers in their line of work" There is always room for a good one.
My advice would be to try to get in as a journeyman if you can, rather than an apprentice, even if you have to get experience some other way. The training is good but apprentices don't seem to get much work. As someone above wrote there's not as many places to for them to put newbies to work anymore. Nothing against any of the people involved in training, because they do teach you the basics of the trade but they can't simulate everything at the training site. When you get sent to a job it's sink or swim! If the contractor is not satisfied with you for whatever real or imagined reason-you're out of luck. Some of the contractors ask for apprentices so they can pay the lower rate, but want the skill level of a 30 year man. I think it's a hard route. A lot of people get discouraged and quit, and a lot of people get kicked out for pretty minor infractions. It takes longer than the 4 years they say it does, 6 or 7 is more usual. Some locals make the apprentices report for training 2 or 3 days a week even if they're out of unemployment. It's almost like going to college full time, I don't see how guys with families do it.
2-3 shouldn't be a problem since I do't have any family commitments. I'd be willing to go even more if they'll let me.
That's kinda what I'm counting on.
Thanks, ddiger I usually pick things up pretty fast, I just hope I do with operating.
After I took the assessment test at the training location and passed, they said I'd be getting a letter in the mail telling me to report to the hall in PHX on June 17th for some kind of interview. Is that a good sign?
I would think so. I started with 428 in I think about 1980 and am now in local 3. I do however agree with the above post to see if you could hook up with a smaller union company or large if you have a connection to see if you couldn't join as a journeyman.
Did you live in Phoenix? If so, check out www.facebook.com/groups/40127469667/ lots of 80s memories.
I was grew up there. Graduated Arcadia HS 1972. But thank you. I left in the early 80`s.
Does anybody know what kind of questions will be asked at my oral interview with the Phoenix Joint Apprenticeship committee?
Hi I know its tuff, hang in there! Get your resume' and go visit 6 contractors. Sell yourself!!!! See if you can get sponsored by one of these contractors! Call & set up appointment with somebody big in the office! When you talk with the contractors- talk about the technical stuff-grade, lay-out & engineering!! Get technical! Sell yourself & impress! Foot in the door! I know you can do it!!! Thanks! OK to PM!