Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gland seal leak – first time rebuild questions and tips

bpp ยท 2021-04-06 21:10

My Bobcat 334 developed a leak on the boom cylinder between the gland and rod. I've never rebuilt a cylinder before and this is a home owner machine (with a home owner budget). I was hoping someone could tell me where I'm wrong and what else I should consider. I got the thing apart, cleaned, and now I'm inspecting everything: The rod/chrome looks good to my eye, nothing obvious that my fingers can detect for imperfections. Should I still give this a polish? If so, with what (maybe steel wool?) The piston has some obvious rough areas. Is it OK to take these down with a file and sandpaper? I can see/feel an obvious scratch in the gland where the seal goes. Is it a goner or can that be lightly sanded? I'm not sure if this was the failure or if I did this during removal. I heard a bent rod could contribute to leak here. Is it worth having a shop check the rod if I have no reason to suspect it's bent? Since the gland is aluminum, what should I put on the threads before reassembling?

Replies6
  1. #1Coaldust2021-04-06 23:06

    Check the rod with a straight edge, if you have concerns. 320 grit, sanding roll. Wrap it around in a loop, radial. Not lengthwise. Go light. That makes a good finish for the new seals.

  2. #2willie592021-04-06 23:41

    I've seen glands in way worse shape than that, that actually looks pretty good. I wager it was just time for some new seals and you're good to go.

  3. #3bpp2021-04-07 08:31

    Thanks guys - I didn't post a picture of the piston but that has some rough edges on its outside diameter. I actually could not remove the piston from the cylinder when it was fully retracted, I had to push it out most of the way with the power of the machine before finishing it by hand. Is it common to have some wear there? I plan on sanding it too.

  4. #4bpp2021-04-07 08:33

    Just to make sure I understand - are you talking about sanding the rod or the inside of the gland? Both?

  5. #5Coaldust2021-04-07 14:08

    The chrome rod.

  6. #6bpp2021-04-07 15:38

    Thanks. Any thoughts on cleaning up the aluminum pieces that have obvious surface scratches? Is that commonly done? I can't tell if that will cause more harm than good...my gut says any scratch smoothed out is better than left as is.