Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Going independent..

willy2132 · 2021-02-26 21:06

Hi guys, I currently work as a heavy equipment mechanic for a large company with a fleet. I am wanting to transition into doing my own thing. I've read several threads on here with a lot of good advice. My biggest concern is I want to test the waters before jumping from the security of my full time job. How would one go about that without diving in and buying a service truck? Currently my tools are loaded on the company truck. I suppose I could load up what I anticipate I will need into my pickup truck when working after hours.. this would come with its own headaches and surely I would end up needing every tool I didn't bring! Looking for some stories of how you independent guys go into it. Thanks

Replies41
  1. #1Coaldust2021-02-26 21:41

    I transitioned into it by setting up the biz stuff first. The LLC, IRS ECN#, Registered Agent, Bienniel report, bank account, state and borough biz licenses, DOT number, MCS-150, insurance lined up, biz credit card and accounts set up with the parts houses. Choose a accounting software package so you can invoice. Consider a credit card service for billing, except I haven’t done it. I went with Quickbooks for the first year. It was way more than I needed. Just switched to FreshBooks. Way easier to use and less money for the subscription. All that takes time. Maybe $3,000 tops to get that done. I should have talked with a CPA before getting started. I messed up my LLC doing it myself. Hired a CPA to fix it. Should have went with a CPA to begin with. Do all that, and then leave your steady job so you can get productive right away. I’ll let the other guys talk about the service truck challenges.

  2. #2Birken Vogt2021-02-26 22:04

    I started out using GnuCash (free). My own home computer and printer and a pad of work orders and a pickup truck. Only incorporated later when the volume demanded it. Used Square for credit card acceptance. Beware, they are getting more like Paypal now. #1 thing, answer the phone whenever somebody calls even if up to your eyeballs in grease. Answering the phone is everything. I was able to work for a friend steady while moonlighting and bringing the business up to speed.

  3. #3CM19952021-02-26 22:28

    Very, very good advice. I'm a small contractor with a fleet just big enough to have the iron we need but more than we can wrench on ourselves and not enough iron to afford an on the payroll mechanic. There is a bounty of plenty for a mechanic on their own that can show up, diagnose and repair equipment for the small contractors. The hard part is building the client base that appreciates a good mechanic and pays as quick as the machine is fixed.

  4. #4suladas2021-02-26 23:45

    Totally agree there. I do many repairs simply because I haven't been able to find any mobile mechanic who I trust who isn't going to charge an outrageous amount and actually knows what they are doing. If i'm paying a guy $190/hr I expect them to know equipment inside and out and be way more knowledgeable and quicker then me. Have yet to find that.

  5. #5Dave Neubert2021-02-27 08:22

    When I opened my business I tried doing it part time wile keeping a job it don't work customers want to know that they can get you when they need you it took about a year to get a customer base. If you are good at what you do and don't rip off anyone you will get plenty of business.

  6. #6LCA0782021-02-27 11:37

    You might look into buying one of those earbuds or headsets you can wear while working and then just tap the side to answer the call. A buddy of mine has his smartphone connected to his hearing aids and he just taps his ear to answer a call. At first, I thought he was crazy as he looked like just started a conversation by himself. When he showed me his set up, I was a bit jealous I didn't hearing aids to do the same.

  7. #7Birken Vogt2021-02-27 13:22

    The only reason I kept a job is it took a couple of years to get full time work and my skills were still needed at the other place. By all means if your workload is enough to keep you running, then quit your day job post haste.

  8. #8Coaldust2021-02-27 16:07

    I’m still on the fence trying to make a case for purchasing a service truck or not. There are plenty of trucks around and available for that type of service. I’m finding that a pickup is enough for most of my work. Actually, a mini-van would probably work better. But, I can’t and won’t do that. It’s just wrong. I see a lot of dealers switching to the Sprinter/Transit Euro van concept. And look what they do in Australia. Those guys down under get an incredible amount of work done with a “Ute” with a service body on the back. Pisses me off. - I mean disappoints me greatly, we can’t purchase those in the states.

  9. #9Welder Dave2021-02-27 16:20

    I know a plumber who used to have a few Sprinters/Mercedes vans. He has gone back to conventional vans and looks for decent older ones. Sprinters were great on fuel and the higher roof was nice but he said they didn't hold up well. The hinges on the doors were a big problem with the constant opening and closing.

  10. #10Coaldust2021-02-27 16:22

    Which brings up a good question; What are you road warriors charging for windshield time? Mileage? Mileage and time? I’m billing $1.25 per mile for a pickup. My cost per mile is about $1.10, best I can calculate. I’m not charging travel time. I’m using that as a promotional thing. Everyone else is charging around $75 an hour travel time. A canceled flight, weather delay, traffic jam could cost a customer $3,000 just to get a mechanic on site. Not including lodging, meals , tickets, car rental, yada yada. it’s not hurting me to not charge travel time during a flight. There are other productive things I can be doing. I may consider billing travel time in the future if it becomes an issue.

  11. #11Birken Vogt2021-02-27 16:46

    Drive time is full rate. Because if you weren't driving you would be working someplace else. Mileage is $1.00 per mile both ways. Because the truck wears out fast. If they don't like it then they can look for someone who is not as good at math.

  12. #12Welder Dave2021-02-27 16:49

    You could charge a diagnostic fee ($50-$100) if you have to drive out to look at a job. If you can fix the problem when you're there, could reduce or wave the diagnostic fee depending on how long it took. If it's a big job and you have to come back could wave or reduce the diagnostic fee as well. That way nobody gets to waste your time and gets a deal in the end. Charge a mileage fee if it's more than 30 minutes away or so many miles. Lots of landscapers will have a 2 or 3 hour minimum which is fine. Some charge a traveling fee regardless how long the job is or how close it is to the last job. I think a minimum is a better approach. You do a job and a neighbor down the street asks if you can do a quick job for them. You tell them there's a $50 traveling charge and they question it because it's only 300ft. away. You tell them there's a 2 hour minimum, they still balk but are a little more understanding. It also doesn't make the original customer feel like they're getting ripped off. If the 2 neighbors are smart they'll book their jobs at the same time where they both get a better deal. Paying for 3 hours total of work with a 2 hour minimum is better than each paying a 2 hour minimum. You make less but will get much better reviews which should bring in more business.

  13. #13Dave Neubert2021-02-27 17:20

    I could not imagine not having a truck with a crane air compressor and welder if you are planning on doing this full time you need something to work with. I guess if all you are doing is servicing and changing hoses and computer diagnostics then a pick up or van will do. But a customer wants someone who can do everything just my 2 cents from being in the business 30+ years. I charge from the time I leave to the time I get back. If they don't want to pay then I tell them to bring it to my shop and that will cost more than me coming out to the site also get 1.25 a mile

  14. #14Coaldust2021-02-27 17:43

    Thanks Dave, I had very similar thoughts about the utility of a full-meal-deal service truck. How could anyone get anything done without one? Like you mentioned, I’m staying busy enough with diagnostics, electrical problems, dead batteries and such. Half of my work is located off the road system, anyways. I’ve been kicking the idea around of going with a 17’ two axle cargo trailer for multi-day projects in Fairbanks and Valdez, on the road system. The cargo trailer idea is very popular with the contractor, carpenter, HVAC/plumbing crowd and I’m seeing some really slick set-ups.

  15. #1592U 34062021-02-27 18:40

    I did about 3.5 years in the field with a truck that didn't have a crane. Yes you can do a lot but man some jobs are a bee-atch without a crane. If I ever pull the trigger on a truck of my own, it will have some sort of crane or hoist. Even if its only good for 1,500 or 2,000 lbs it'd open up a lot more opportunities than not having a crane.

  16. #16suladas2021-02-27 18:41

    It's amazing how far the technology has come though, a tiny invertor welder that runs on 110 can actually do decent minor welding repairs. If you have a repair that requires a fair bit of welding or something really crucial I know i'd be getting a welder out instead of a mechanic doing it, cheaper and better welding. A compressor would come in handy the rare time if working on trucks, but even a pretty small one would get the job done. It really comes down to if you want to spend a fortune rigging a truck up for everything, or a small amount to cover the bulk of stuff. I've done every repair my equipment has needed, and it's rare I don't have a tool I need on my truck in 2 18x18x48 toolboxes. If it's onsite and urgent it's been electrical, welding, water pump, or hoses. Nothing that requires much for tools. If I was calling out a mobile HD mechanic, I wouldn't expect anyone to come out for less then $250 even in the city, it's just not worth it.

  17. #1792U 34062021-02-27 18:51

    Is that what they're charging out here these days????

  18. #18JLarson2021-02-27 19:06

    I did a lot of stuff out of my F150 with just my road box and weatherguard for quite a while. It got old having to load up an engine drive and stuff eventually though. We do a ton of pipe and fab work on site so we have a trailer set up with built in benches, some cylinder holders, place to strap down a welder, a chop saw station and plenty of storage under the benches. We can set up and be out of the wind, I've got a vice and a 8' SS top on one side by the welder. Plumbed for air and wired for 120/240 so we just hook up to a service truck. Comes in real handy on night shut down jobs and like you said longer machine repairs too cause we have more work space. Plus at night it's nice to have probably 25' of lighted work bench.

  19. #19hosspuller2021-02-27 19:10

    Reminds me of my mobile Vet. $75 just to come down the driveway. (farm call) He works out of a pick-up truck and a trailer. I can haul horses to him for less than $75, so I do. He likes it better since he has only one set-up (connect to power, set up instruments, open cabinets, etc.) Since transporting 50,000 pounds of HE is expensive, a mobile mechanic can easily justify charging just a bit less than transport. (time and mileage) Give the customer the choice... Haul or pay for site call. Customer Choice makes for a smoother transaction. Seems like having the customer's equipment in hand insures payment for services.

  20. #20hosspuller2021-02-27 19:21

    A question to the mobile techs ... Do you work alone ? I don't attempt anything that might get me hurt without someone around to call the rescue squad. Felling trees, roof work, heavy equipment piece handling, etc... LCA078 has a good idea of a ear piece blue- tooth connected to a phone. A tap gets help or answers a call.

  21. #21suladas2021-02-27 19:24

    I'm not sure on the minimum charge I wouldn't be surprised if it's a lot higher, but I know of a few charging $190/hr for mobile mechanic.

  22. #22Welder Dave2021-02-27 22:23

    Sounds about right. I think shop rate is around $170/hr. now.

  23. #23suladas2021-02-28 00:16

    Depends on the shop. For truck repairs i'm paying $120/hr at place I go. I haven't had any equipment repairs done in years last I think was $140/hr. I know Case dealership is around $170/hr but their techs aren't worth $50. I wouldn't let them change oil in a lawnmower. $190/hr in a service truck is insane money for a independent though. Considering how much overhead a shop costs, you could pay off a $200k service truck in very short order.

  24. #24Welder Dave2021-02-28 02:36

    I think places like Union Tractor are up around $170 maybe more and their field rate is a little higher. If an independent is just as experienced as a field guy based from a shop, why should cut their rate? Having your own truck has a lot of overhead the same as owning equipment does.

  25. #25Coaldust2021-02-28 16:30

    I see most truck shops across the state running shop rate around $130. Most of the truck shops avoid field work or have stopped doing it. That’s a subject for a different post. Last spring, during the Covid lockdowns, shops were lowering rates to drum up biz. One place was advertising $75 if you purchased a certain amount of labor. I’m charging $130 for general labor and $175 for cargo tank labor. I flat rate DOT vehicle examinations and cargo tank inspections. I also flat rate Liquid Controls fuel delivery meter work and SkyBitz Smartlogix installs.

  26. #2692U 34062021-02-28 17:24

    Ford dealer up north charges more per hour than the CAT dealer. Figure that one out?

  27. #27DMiller2021-02-28 17:46

    I was working two sides same coin for close to a dozen years when the burnout struck. I should have made the other decision but felt the market at the time where I was could not support me adequately so dropped the side work stayed in house from then on save a few odd customers. Last of which I stopped working on his stuff some ten or eleven years back. Make a choice as to going in deep enough to support yourself if the existing boss figures it out and tells you to leave. Been there done that too. As a Starter, buy a Used 4x4 some kind of at least a ton truck, stake or flat bed where can mount tool boxes and tools. Start looking for a decent engine driven welder then air compressor, at LEAST two stage no less than 12cfm so can run bigger toys. Add a Storage tank inside a tool box or undermount for extra capacity. Large FORGED Vice, and plenty of chains come a longs and hand winches chain or cable or both. A pickup will get you just far enough along to lose customers when you arrive too small to get it done. Buy as much as can second hand or trade and barter for it. I also second the CPA.

  28. #28suladas2021-02-28 18:08

    I didn't mean it in the way they should be cheaper, just that an independent making that rate would be making bank, a service truck has far lower overhead then a shop. Been trying to find a shop/yard to move in Edmonton area, it costs 2 arms and 2 legs for a old rundown shop, it's absolutely insane. However when starting out I think you would need to be cheaper then the dealership service truck until you can build a reputation, and there is benefits as far as warranty for certain repairs going with the dealer.

  29. #29Welder Dave2021-02-28 18:16

    I think it depends on several factors. If an independent has a $200,000 rig he'll have some serious payments on top of his overhead for insurance, maintainence and other necessary costs.

  30. #30Dave Neubert2021-02-28 19:18

    I'm a old dinosaur 66 years old but still doing it I get 65.00 a hour now I know why no one complains about my rates. I bought a retired F800 service truck from a local Komatsu dealer for $10,000.00 been running it for 12 years with just normal repairs. You don't have to invest 200,00.00 in a rig there are deals out there. I plan on doing it as long as I can but it is getting tough on this old man. The drawback is that I don't do computer problems. But also not many left that can work on the old stuff either

  31. #31Welder Dave2021-02-28 19:24

    I think pay for good mechanics here is close to $50/hr. working in a shop.

  32. #32Dave Neubert2021-02-28 19:50

    Yes even a old geezer like me could go anywhere and get a job problem is I have been doing it so long I would make a lousy employee

  33. #33Welder Dave2021-02-28 19:53

    I was a making comparison that you're very reasonable at $65/hr. with a truck.

  34. #34Coaldust2021-02-28 20:25

    Hosspuller asked about working alone. I typically do, except for confined space work, of course. Sent my wife to confined space and confined space rescue training and my son does hole watch. Have a few other guys I can call when I need an extra hand on a job.

  35. #35Tugger22021-02-28 21:37

    These days theres lots of good young mechanics around my neck of the woods,they have nice gear and know what they are doing on the new stuff . It just gets hard to pay them 120.00 /hr. Then try and persuade to work work on my old iron, then coach them through how to work on it. Seems us old geezers are a mile apart from the young guys. I charge 90.00/ hr to weld , fabricate or machine in my shop and 90.00/hr. if i travel or go out and run someone elses cranes . The pickup gets 120.00/day or about what you can rent one for.

  36. #36suladas2021-03-01 01:34

    $65/hr is insanely cheap, even $90 is. You could get a welding rig out for $90/hr easy, but HD mechanic is way way more. Contemplating building a shop on my acreage to store my stuff and then I can do even more wrenching much easier. I really don't mind it, and it means need less work.

  37. #37Dave Neubert2021-03-01 07:53

    I know I'm cheep but I make a living take off when I want to never work weekends I also have a 50X50 shop on my property and if the job is to big I make them bring it to me

  38. #38Dave Neubert2021-03-01 07:56

    Yes just got a call to rebuild a Detroit in a Terex dozer no one knows how to build one. Even the Detroit dealer shyed away from it

  39. #39AzIron2021-03-01 08:55

    Cost is relative to location here the independent guys run from 90 to about 110ish I laugh at being charged miles some guys here do it most dont I know of one guy that buys the absolute best truck when he updates he is also really expensive and no faster than another guy that has pushed the same truck for 15 years Being independent is all about selling your value to a customer time is money I do the vast majority of my own wrenching unless it gets beyond my tooling or experience the value of independent is they can usually get you going in a pinch were dealer is upsale and no bandaid to finish job

  40. #40DMiller2021-03-01 09:13

    Service charge around here is NOT cheap, labor at $100-150/hr. then Mileage for truck and wages start when mechanic leaves for the job, half hour out and back is a added hour rate plus the mileage, the Minimum just to show up and leave is Two Hours plus mileage. Welders charge what they want here as all too few of them around with work trucks anymore, became a specialty occupation unless working mines quarries or for a excavation company.

  41. #41John C.2021-03-01 09:37

    Dealers here are at least $140 and hour, point to point. Mileage on the trucks are well over $2.00 per mile. Most all now are in 2.5 ton trucks with all the fancy stuff. Big air, 10K cranes and 300 amp welders. Minimum costs run around $1,000 a day. All the dealers have extra trucks they would love to put bodies in.