I'm looking over Iron Planet and Richie's to buy a used backhoe. But most of them weigh too much. My trailer can legally carry 15,000 lbs. Is it just me, or is there a big weight gap between most backhoes and the little Kubota 25 series? That little Kub is too small for me. What good backhoe weighs in around 14k to 15k? I might have to settle for a compact tractor with backhoe on it. Kubota has a brand new 58hp for about $40k, with excellent 0% financing. Please guys don't turn this into a truck tow masculinity contest, like what happened to this thread HeavyEquipmentForums My F-350 drw can safely and legally tow my 21k trailer in Texas.
Whoops, that's a Kubota MX5200, 52hp, not the 58hp model. Too late to edit my post.
14000lbs that means no 4 wd no e stick probably shy away from a quick coupler and 4 in 1 bucket I think an old Ford 555 would fit the bill as well as a jd 310 thru the c series a d might push it I dont think a cat 416 will stay under 14500 Whatever the book says add 5 to 8 percent to the working weight real world weight is always more than book
While I'm no expert on much of anything I do know that a maxed out trailer ain't fun or a good idea no matter what kind of pickup you have. Here if a cop saw a full sized backhoe behind a pickup you'd probably be beside the road chatting. Joe H
I'm fairly positive the claim of my New Holland lb75b, is around 14.5k lbs. It has erops, e-hoe, and 4wd. It was towed, to me in Dayton OH, from mid-Michagan, behind a duley(sp?) pickup truck on what looked to be a 40 ft trailer. It did fine, other than the ramps weren't up to the task. Watch for low bridges!
If you are pushing weight limits backhoe bucket size and the amount of fuel is a factor also. Some even have ballast in the tires.
I've owned a 2004 JCB 212s (currently 2019 models are marketed as JCB 3cx Compact) for 5 years. It's 12.6k lbs, 4wd, 4ws. All of them come plumbed front and rear, very easy to add a thumb to. Front quick connect hitch (not skid steer type though). 75hp. The 4 wheel steer makes it fairly maneuverable. Compared to a Kubota l45 or M59 the JCB is much more of a backhoe. Downsides - the 4 equal size tires make it a bit more likely to get stuck in mud. Parts - usually better to buy off internet if you can find the part than bother with dealer. BSP fittings for all the hydraulics. Just means you need to find the right hydraulic repair shop that stocks the fittings. Wiring - every single wire is yellow with a number in small print to identify it. I haven't really had any major wiring issues though. Interior is a bit cramped if you have to spend 8 hours a day in it. In full size backhoes there isn't much under 15k lbs. Full disclosure - I don't use my backhoe to earn a living, so take the above for what's worth...
Renohusker, your observation is correct that there is a significant weight difference between compact TLBs and industrial TLBs. Compact equipment tends to be under 10k weight in order to allow people without CDL driver’s licenses to move the equipment in most states. If you are trying to slide in under 15k on a typical industrial backhoe, you can’t look just at a Company’s model, as 15k is at the starting weight range. Most backhoes will then add optional equipment such as extendahoe/standard hoe options, cab and canopy variations, 4wd/2wd options, counterweights, wheel weights, and others. With options, it is very common to be several thousand pounds above 15k. Not sure if you are looking new or used, but you might find a used Case 480E or F, that would be a better fit weight wise under 15k depending on options. Keep in mind there will be likely some trade off for less weight Example, If I recall, the backhoe dig depth on a 480 would be in the 12-14’ range depending on options, which would generally put it between compacts and larger industrial machines.
While a Dually can tow that load and likely you will equip with Electric trailer brakes I can state it will not be a fun event getting a top heavy machine on the Goose and dragging down the highway at any form of leisurely speed. I have noted the issues with failures of this set up as a safety concern and should DOT get tired of it the ability to skirt a CDL to tow such a load may soon evaporate. Then you still will be using a Smallish machine expecting faster work and getting slower results. Biggest effect on a backhoe, not enough weight to get sufficient breakout force. To each his own I would be stepping up to heavy Class 6 or into a Class 7 truck with air brakes and same for trailer, then can purchase a Hoe to do the work effectively and heavier work can be attained faster.
I have a 1985 JD 410b. Operators manual says it's 14,700 lbs. I pull it with a 1988 F800 which I call a 5 ton truck and I wouldn't want to try it with anything less!
Re-read the OP, if looking at a Compact Tractor with a Hoe, unless has a dedicated mount and only connects to three point will be a sloppy mess soon after some use, if is a dedicated mount most are second thought and severely reduced in capacity due to potential to damage small tractor frame mounting.
What about the Kubota M62? Seems like that is probably as heavy duty as you're going to get in a "compact" machine. People who have them and it's predecessor, the M59, seem to be really happy with em'
Thanks for that info, which was new to me. JCB sure makes a confusing lineup. The JCB 2CX weighs 14k, the 3CX ECO weighs 18k, and the 3CX Compact weighs 13k (figures from Ritchiespecs, which are often dubious). Looks like the equal size tires are history now. Who makes JCB? Well, they say they make as many backhoes as all other manufacturers combined. Boy do I feel like Mr Potato Head, I'd never heard of JCB. Just Case, Cat, Kub, JD. Sez here https://tinyurl.com/y4wxzbcc that JCB has the same 60 month 0% financing that Kubota does. Hmmm. Do most of us out here think that JCB makes good backhoes? Somebody mentioned CDL. I have it. Texas requires it if your CGVWR is over 26k. With a 21k trailer, my 350 dually will have a CGVWR of 36k. Pickups have crept up into truck capabilities.
Somebody mentioned CDL. I have it. Texas requires it if your CGVWR is over 26k. With a 21k trailer, my 350 dually will have a CGVWR of 36k. Pickups have crept up into truck capabilities. Pickups have crept up to a dangerous idea of a I think I am a truck. Not picking on your capabilities means or tools but they are not made to handle what they have been rated to pull but that's not the topic of this thread Jcb is a British based company not to many people have any love for them here in the us one of the biggest reasons are lack of dealer network and support here I have been told in Britain jcb is 2 to 1 any other manufacturer. As far as world manufacturers they are number one I think deere is number 2 in the world game but nonetheless jcb is not that easy to find here but I can buy a new one cheaper by a fair bit than anything else and of the 2 I ran I didn't care for them they work just didn't feel like home to me
I've seen what's happening to the UK. They jailed that Robinson guy just for making criminals uncomfortable. I think he's a hero. We just fled France ourselves, sold our thriving business. Grim future for western Europe. The fabled German Engineering is doomed too. I'd be more confident purchasing a machine from an Asian country or the USA.
Regarding pickups, the US DOT and many state DMVs are taking note of their evolution to higher CGVWR and clamping down to require CDL etc. Here in TX you're starting to see DOT numbers on guys towing big boats to the lake for the weekend. Warning citations are rare.
My father used to move A Ford 4500 with a F 350 flatbed and tandem axle equipment trailer occasionally when the dump truck was busy, back in the days pre CDL. The backhoe was around 10,000 and the truck was probably the same with its fuel load and tools. the trailer was probably 3500. The truck pulled it painlessly aside from wiping a clutch or two. However getting the whole party stopped was another matter. Learn to drive way in front of your truck.
The 4 equal size tires are still there on the new 3Cx Compacts. The 3Cx compacts are basically the same machine as the older 2cx (which were actually marketed as 212s in North America) with updated hydraulics and electronics. The biggest change being you now have electronic joystick controls for the backhoe. Other than that mechanically the loader, hoe and frame are pretty much the same as the older machines. However I was wrong and it looks like now they use the skid steer quick attach for the loader. https://www.jcb.com/en-us/products/backhoe-loaders/3cx-compact Current Model - 3Cx Compact, old model - 212s (2Cx in Europe). They moved to 3Cx Compact name worldwide about 3 years ago to remove the confusion between 212s and 2Cx. The other thing that is nice about the newer ones is that the 74hp engine has NO DPF . There is no comparison to the JCB 2CX/3CX Compact and a compact tractor, the Kubota M62 maybe close in some specs but weighs about 4000 lbs less, has no cab, and the engine requires DPF. One the plus side for the Kubota are the rear PTO/3pt hitch and most likely better dealer support. But the rear PTO is only a plus if you have a use for it. Huh? Interesting way to evaluate a backhoe...
The DMV can't regulate common sense. If you are careful, you can safely tow a lot with a little. Excessive regulations stem primarily from idiots who think they can just drive around like they are on a scenic drive in a car, when they are actually driving a rig with a combined weight of a half dozen cars. And yes, I do know a little bit about the issue. I drive a 105,000 pound truck every day, and have for over 25 years.
They DO try!!
My typical haul for the Brother In Law's Farm some years back was a SD Ford 250, SW Gooseneck rated at 13,000, my Allis 180 and a Bush hog mower. Gear in truck, Fuel and gear on trailer with tractor. Close to Gross of Trailer, had to step up to 24K License on truck from 18K as was considerably over that. 8700 truck, extra fuel and gear, trailer just at 3500, tractor at 7800 and bush hog at 1800. Is the main reason would rather step up to Class 6 or 7. Buddy from work bought a 580 Case, had extra spare rear and front tires, forks and smaller rear bucket, hauled it one time 18 miles for him and did not care for the Tall weight.
The reason parked where it is was a rusted thru brake line to the drive axle, BEHIND the fuel tank. This was after got line swapped.
I am kinda new to owning tractors and backhoes. Own a few properties about 50 miles apart from each other. This is a semi-retirement hobby, not a business, so looked to keep costs down. Here any truck over F350 is heavily regulated so I opted for a farm tractor due to the easy regulation and taxation. I rather enjoy the slow drive during quiet times. Then I needed a backhoe and bought this MF50: It is considerably slower on the road, making trailering more attractive. Its weight is somewhere in the 10,000-12,000 lbs according to paper. I'm gonna be looking at the other side of the equation, what truck and trailer to get. I ran a Search and Rescue team for a while and we had a similar issue. We had a half-ton 4wd truck and needed to haul 2 ARGO off-road vehicles. The half-ton was perfect for transporting teams to remote areas, where a 3/4 or 1-ton would beat them up. So what to get for a trailer? We ended up with a lightweight aluminum 24' that put length and weigh and GVW right to the limit. Training driver's was a nightmare. Every guy seemed to figure he was God's gift to driving and we had a serious problem qualifying drivers. Speed and driving for conditions were big concerns. I instigated training programs where we had them driving in wind and braking on hills so they would learn to respect the load. My hat goes off to professional truck drivers. Much in this thread is so true. The weight always increases, tires are so important, brakes are more important than axles, and good judgement is the most important driving skill. Anyway, we had to pare the trailer weight to a minimum (aluminum light duty, minimal options) to keep from overloading the truck's GVWR. Oh yes, about loaded tires. I run loaded tires on my old farm tractor. Depending on on the strength of chloride this adds between 300-370 lbs to each 12.4x28 tire.
Have 60+/- gallons EACH rear on my Allis 180, methanol based water mix for freeze protection for right at 450 up to 500 lbs. for each rear.
Hey guys, decided to downsize the tractor to an LS 55hp with cab, loader, backhoe. I can tow that easily behind my dually, even with weight left over for my compactor, chained sideways in the front of the trailer. Thanks for all the tips.
It sounds like, in your case, it's not built for it, but that thing looks fun! 360s aplenty!