I have a John Deere 410g. My pump was rebuilt last year because we (almighty ex didn't do research and blah blah bkah) didnt understand how the parking brake would engage intermittently. Thanks to the forums help I got that fixed by simply adding transmission fluid. So...the pump was rebuilt. Last night I was digging up some stumps and I could smell it burning a little. I blew a line right in the middle of it. It was very warm, almost hot to the touch. The line is in good condition and I'm wondering if it's possible that the pump could create too much pressure to blow that line. I dont think it was just a weakened line, just doesn't seem like it. I want to address that so I dont ruin it....
was the hydraulic pressure checked and adjusted after reinstalling the rebuilt pump?
Probably not.
LOL.......maybe you should call the ex and ask if the pressure was set and checked. I’ll sit here with my bag of popcorn and await your response.
Not to harass farmgirl, but maybe she was digging the stump up to have a place to put the ex? I know I would not want to tick off a girl with a backhoe! But on a serious note I would suggest having someone who knows what they are doing to check the pressure. But is is not unusual for a hydraulic hose to get hot if the machine is being worked hard.
Hydraulic hoses normally have pressure ratings well above normal pump pressures, so it is hard to blow them unless damaged, or if the hose was simply not rated for the application. Is the hydraulic hose original, or a replacement? If the hose was replaced, perhaps it is not rated for typical backhoe pressures. I would suggest you see if there are max pressure rating printed/stamped on the hose that burst. I am not a JD expert, but I would suspect the max system pressure around 3600 PSI. Hose pressure ratings will vary by diameter, brand, and hose construction, but I would expect the hose to be stamped somewhere in the mid 4xxx + range. If the bad hose’s pressure rating is not in that ballpark, then it is likely a replacement hose and I would be looking at the other hoses on the machine for the same cost cutting handy work. In any case, make sure the replacement hose is rated for your machines pressures.
I'm not familiar with your backhoe, but there are probably test ports on the valve block for testing the pressures. However as a quick method to check yours when you pick up the new hose buy a tee fitting, gauge, and a cap. Attach the new hose to the valve, leave the end to the cylinder disconnected. Instead attach the tee, gauge and cap to it. Start machine and actuate the circuit. Paying attention to go the right way. Since the line is capped you will instantly hit the relief. The gauge will read the relief setting, and you should hear the familiar sound of relief kicking in. Don't hold it too long. Post a picture of the line if you can.