Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Got my new turbo, good or not?

Dgreen4298 · 2020-04-07 14:54

So I got my new rebuilt turbo today and it seems like it has a lot of slop. Called the company and they had me send a video, still waiting to hear back. They told me that is normal and when oil pressure runs through it is ok. It doesn’t move in and out, only sideways. I don’t think it hits the housing but it is close and if I really push it it might. What do you guys think?

Replies18
  1. #1BigWrench552020-04-07 15:18

    That is not good. if you can get the fins to touch the housings then something isn't right. That amount of play would take 90w to take up the slop. Send it back.

  2. #2hosspuller2020-04-07 15:39

    Either send it back uninstalled or get a dial indicator to measure the play. Simply "slop" is not an quality engineering term. Runout of xxx thousandth is a go - no go specification from the manufacturer and his warranty.

  3. #312ValveHyundai2020-04-07 15:47

    Whoa. I consider a turbo with that much slop to be almost ready for rebuild time. That’s completely unacceptable for fresh out of the shop

  4. #4Mark2502020-04-07 17:12

    I agree hosspuller measure before condemn

  5. #5DMiller2020-04-07 17:50

    The OLD Cummins before the Holst turbos and the units on the old 350DDs had similar play, the bushings were 'Free Floating', as well floated just off the shaft. Oiled and installed then run for operation and I can see that as good. Designed to allow the oil to support not so much a hard surface where the later units are not free floating many of which are ball bearing.

  6. #6Vetech632020-04-07 20:57

    Name of company?

  7. #7Vetech632020-04-08 07:34

    Its not unusual to see a bit of play there. If the fins are not hitting the housings on either side it should be good. The oil pressure will create a hydrodynamic seal (similar to crankshaft bearings) and will center the shaft. Like Dmiller said, they could very possibly be free floating bearings which have a bit more clearance.

  8. #8thepumpguysc2020-04-08 07:47

    Look all around the cartridge area for "OS" meaning it takes "over size" bearings.. Maybe the rebuilder missed it..?? The exhaust wheel doesnt look to bad but the compressor wheel is "iffy".. Mount the turbo in a vise at the exhaust flange & use a mag. base dial indicator to measure the play..

  9. #9Dgreen42982020-04-08 11:30

    Still waiting on a call back from the company, Turbopark, in California. I had to order a magnetic base kit so I will have to wait till Friday to measure.as for stamping I don’t see any that say is but there’s are a few others

  10. #10Nige2020-04-08 11:40

    Continuing from what Vetech said above. Try placing the turbo in the normal operating position and slowly fill the housing up with new engine oil. This may be somewhat difficult because the oil will tend to run out of the bottom almost as fast as you pour it in through the top, but with a bit of persistence you should be able to get it full. Does that change the play you are seeing with the turbo when it is dry.?

  11. #11RollOver Pete2020-04-08 15:45

    Hook it up and run it. If it makes you feel better, leave the pressure side off. That way you can see the impeller turning without the risk of sucking up anything. I'll bet that once you get oil into the thing the "slop" will be gone.

  12. #12Dgreen42982020-04-12 13:56

    Ok so they said that all parts are genuine Garrett and they sent me a video of a similar turbo with a dial indicator setup on it that also has movement but not as much. Here is a video of the turbo they sent me.

  13. #13Nige2020-04-12 15:01

    Did you try filling the housing of the turbo they sent you with oil..?

  14. #14DMiller2020-04-12 16:04

    As I watched your vid, are you only displacing the play or pushing the shaft over with deflecting pressure too? Do not want to move any further than the tolerance play not deflection of shaft with it.

  15. #15kshansen2020-04-12 17:09

    It's been a few years since I even touched a turbo but I seem to recall that on at least some of them there was a spec. for side play like that. If I'm recalling correctly it was measured with a dial indicator either through the oil inlet hole or the oil drain hole. One of the key thing to do was lift up even on both ends of the shaft. If you are only looking at the play at one end you have to take into account the distance from the bearing to the end of the shaft. So if you see say 0.010 at the end you might only have 0.005 at the bearing. OK had to find a picture: And for this turbo the spec's are .003 to .007 measured at the center. But like I said if measuring at the ends of the shaft that could appear to be much more as the bearings are fairly close together near the center of the housing.

  16. #16Dgreen42982020-04-13 17:38

    Yes I tried filling the center with oil, didn’t really change anything. Not really pushing on the shaft that hard so I doubt that it is deflecting any. Yes I was checking radial movement from the end of the shaft and now that you have explained how to properly measure the movement it is clear that my numbers would be wrong the way I was doing it. I will remeasure

  17. #17John C.2020-04-13 18:26

    Never heard of any other spec than if the wheel don't touch the housing, it's OK. I've changed plenty of bad turbos and all the replacements had plenty of movement. Never had a quick failure on a replacement.

  18. #18DMiller2020-04-13 20:29

    As I noted above, the old version Cummins Not the Holset style were pretty rough as to side play. As John C stated, Not hitting the housing and Not throwing oil Run it for a trophy. Then there is the Air Research off my old AC. Eroded 1/8" clearance rotor to housing, BOTH Ends, loads of play and just worn slam out but NOT spraying oil so limped by for a few years.