Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Grader plowing snow

TimeLapse ยท 2017-01-10 09:35

Grader plowing snow Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWuu9aPrekA

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies45
  1. #1ovrszd2017-01-10 10:24

    A great example of why I don't push snow without chains!!!!! And what a treat to be working in conditions where you can simply sit the blade down on the ground and go!!!!

  2. #2cuttin edge2017-01-10 20:36

    I was looking at other vids in that group. There is one of a guy with a Volvo plowing a road to an oil well. I can never resist the comments. There is always some ass hole who can do your job better. Always easy for these guys to put you down hiding behind their computer. I bet the guy in the 740 is using his moldboard to start.

  3. #3ovrszd2017-01-11 11:00

    I assume you meant to "stop". Yeah, he's definitely controlling his descent with the blade!!!! I slid off the road on a sharp curve late one night. Going too fast into the 90 degree turn. Front tires started sliding on frozen roadbed. I freaked out as I was gonna go off the road and down a 10ft drop onto a field. I jammed the blade down to slow me. The angle of the blade was totally wrong. Took more weight off the front tires and immediately took me off the road and down the drop. Small brush flying everywhere. When the snow dust settled I was sitting on level ground in the field. Needless to say, I slowed for each sharp turn after that!!!!

  4. #4cuttin edge2017-01-11 12:43

    That is one of those examples of learning something new everyday. I took a lot of stupid risks when I was a pup. I meant to type steer. A lot of the subdivisions I plowed had narrow streets. The old 14E didn't articulate, so I used to turn into the snowbank and use my wing to slide myself around the corners. Before the banks were big enough, I would put more weight on the right side of the moldboard to zip me around.

  5. #5ovrszd2017-01-11 18:25

    Yep, I've always said when you stop learning, you need to stop operating. I've used my moldboard several times for guidance. My World usually looks like this when pushing snow. Where the "H" did the road go????

  6. #6cuttin edge2017-01-11 20:29

    Not too much open country here unless you get near the bay. Lots of snow an high winds though, so I hear ya on the visibility. This winter has been strange. Almost every storm so far has been followed by rain, so lots of ice. You don't run a front flange?

  7. #7ovrszd2017-01-12 18:56

    What is a front flange? I use a V-Plow if drifts are bad.

  8. #8grandpa2017-01-12 19:11

    Haven't use a V-plow in over thirty years. Use trucks now, so much faster and can throw the snow out farther with less banks to catch snow. We have put a wing on a grader this year for the first time in many, as we are having a winter from hell. We will soon be sending out wheel loaders to push back. Im waiting for the telephone company to tell me how to handle the cable locates on these roads... im not digging, so they don't want to pay for locates,,, yet if I hit a pedestal they say oh you should have located... fers!

  9. #9cuttin edge2017-01-12 21:03

    A side delivery, or one way plow like the trucks use. I have a V, but it is huge. We never use our grader plowing any more. Last winter was the first time the wing was on the 940 since it was new. Rates are too low to be bothered.

  10. #10ovrszd2017-01-13 09:18

    Yes we have a front hydraulic angle blade. Never use it. If I need to bust drifts I use the V Plow. Too deep to open with the front blade. Also have a wing that fastens to the moldboard that normally gets used once or twice a year. I'm on my phone right now. When I get back on my shop computer I'll post a couple more pics of deep drifts and the wing.

  11. #11ovrszd2017-01-13 18:17

    Here's the type of drifts I have to deal with. Here's my wing.

  12. #12DoyleX2017-01-13 18:45

    Now that is one he// of a benching wing. Grandpa we had grass sticking out until this week.

  13. #13ovrszd2017-01-14 10:32

    If pushing thru 3-4ft drifts I can put the wing just off the right side of the V-plow. Knock a hole thru the drift and bench back the right side windrow at the same time. I never wish for drifted snow. Too old to want to spend days/nights in the grader getting everything cleared. But when we do get that type of drifting I'm glad to have the wing. Here's some sequence pics.

  14. #14old-iron-habit2017-01-14 11:43

    I remember as a lad, 1950s, riding with my uncle Hurley as he plowed under state contract with his fairly new then Austin Western road patrol. 4-71 Detroit. We were always chained up and the travel was slow. When they started putting big horsepower and speed into the graders is when they became a really effective snow plowing machine. Today they plow at 30 MPH throwing the same snow we only pushed to the side a 3 to 4 MPH. I still enjoy plowing snow with a grader but my little Cat 212 just does the driveway and yard when I want to play with it. I have a 1937 Model 11, wooden cab, with original factory installed plow and wing that needs replacing a sheared woodruff key or perhaps a busted shaft in the control box and then is hopefull ready to plow again. Maybe by next year.

  15. #15TimeLapse2017-01-14 12:57

    Champion 740 A Grader plowing snow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7gnqJJ8Zl4

  16. #16cuttin edge2017-01-14 14:39

    There is another video in that group of a cat plowing in Prince Edward Island. That's about 100 miles from me as the crow flies. That's the type of winters we normally get, but not this year so far.

  17. #17BDFT2017-01-14 21:06

    I never would have thought you would have that much snow in Missouri. Here's the way we handle snow up here. A mine road in northern BC 30 miles east of the Alaskan panhandle. We're about 3500 feet elevation going across a glacier in these pictures.

  18. #18grandpa2017-01-14 21:37

    Well its d*mn near waist deep up here!!

  19. #19ovrszd2017-01-15 10:19

    I'd be interested in pictures of the Model 11 if you have them??? Not sure I've ever saw one. Thanks!!!

  20. #20ovrszd2017-01-15 10:21

    Awesome pictures. What's on the front of the loader, V-plow? Man that makes me cold just looking at those pics!!!

  21. #21old-iron-habit2017-01-15 18:48

    There is a UTube video titled "oldironfinal" out there. Just put UTube and that title in the search bar and it will come up. It is of a lttle parade we had on our property a couple years ago using some of the old toys in our collection. They are all driven by family and friends as a way to get more folks interested in old iron. The Model 11 is driving past in the video. The driver is struggling to steer as the Behlin power steering pump belt had broke due to old age.

  22. #22BDFT2017-01-15 19:29

    The loader (744K) has a snowblower mounted on the quick attach. For some reason I didn't get a picture of it. We also have a 980 and Volvo 180's and a 250 that can mount snowblowers as well. I'm told we can get as much as 20 feet of snow here in a winter but we've only got about 8 feet so far. When I took those pictures it was about -30F with a gentle tropical breeze. Its warmed up and almost raining now. Weather is weird this close to the coast. Lots of changing weather patterns in the gulf of Alaska. Or climate change, whatever you prefer.

  23. #23ovrszd2017-01-16 11:35

    You Sir have quite a collection!!! I think you should start a thread on here titled something like "old iron" and post this video. Thank you very much for the tour of your collection. Gentlemen, if you haven't saw old-iron-habit's video you should watch it. Here's a link to the video. Awesome collection and meticulous knowledge of the products shown. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsM-XJmi5ME

  24. #24old-iron-habit2017-01-16 21:57

    Don't talk to loud. They are only the ones my wife knows about.

  25. #25cuttin edge2017-01-17 07:48

    That's funny. There is a place here where I get parts for my TEA20. These guys buy old tractors, and running or not, they part them out. The brothers restore International tractors. One year during a family event, they had all their restored tractors on display. Suddenly their wives realized how much money they had been spending on old tractors.

  26. #26ovrszd2017-01-17 09:44

    At one time I owned 13 Jeeps. Now I only have one that my wife doesn't know about. Or maybe she has just given up on keeping track. She walked past it in the farm machine shed the other day and didn't ask about it...... Maybe they know more than we think they do!!!

  27. #27Cat 140M AWD2017-01-17 12:43

    Here is a couple pictures of the blades I plow snow with and a video also https://youtu.be/P8pZXTSVl5o

  28. #28cuttin edge2017-01-17 20:05

    Is this your video? If so is the movement in the steering because of the conditions like side thrusting from the wing, or is that how much movement you get steering with a joystick

  29. #29Cat 140M AWD2017-01-18 11:27

    Cutting edge yes this is my video and the steering was from the conditions wing was throwing me around pretty good had bunch of hard old snow under the new stuff that was pushing me around and I also swing out for the mailboxes I love operating the M series in the summer and winter.

  30. #30ovrszd2017-01-18 11:49

    I've only ran an M about 50 hours. I struggled making fine steering adjustments. I think the camera made your adjustments look bigger than they were as well. I think the M completely changes an operator's perspective on controls. Once that transformation is complete operators wouldn't want anything else. During that transition there's divided opinions!!! Do you ever run chains on your AWD? From the video it looks like your terrain is pretty flat and your roads are straight and uniform. I don't have AWD, plus I have radical hills and crooked roads. I don't leave the shed without chains when pushing snow.

  31. #31Graderfan19812017-01-18 16:42

    Nice pictures from snow plowing, here a video from a tractor which pulls a old grader: https://youtu.be/pMRcawaDQZk

  32. #32ovrszd2017-01-18 18:22

    I've got a CAT Model 35 pull type. Not sure I can convince my Son to run it while I pull him with the tractor pushing snow......

  33. #33Cat 140M AWD2017-01-18 19:21

    I agree with you camera made it look worse then what it was and yes the M series completely changes your perspective on controls once I got used to the controls really hate to even run a blade with a steering wheel and rack controls anymore, I do have some nasty hills in my area here AWD makes it nice on them and nope never had to put chains on I haven't run chains in the last 8 yrs about only time have to chain up is if we get ice under the snow then just chain back two tires and away ya go. that's a nice looking pull type grader amazing how far our machines have come. I learned how to operate a blade on a 1972 Cat 120 knuckle buster I never imagined operating a grader with out a steering wheel I suer do like my air ride seat and climate control now though.

  34. #34BDFT2017-01-18 20:05

    The big thing I don't like about the joystick controls is you can't pour a coffee while you're rolling. As soon as you let go of the stick the damn thing heads for the weeds. I sure don't miss the ten turns lock to lock on the steering wheel though. I find that if I'm not paying attention I let the blade creep down on the RH side as I steer. I'm a lot less tired at the end of the day with a joystick machine.

  35. #35ovrszd2017-01-19 10:53

    Thanks concerning Model 35. I was very fortunate to get it. Paid $300. An old man that I grew up around had it. Honor for me to get it. Was being scrapped..... Not having to chain up would be awesome. We've talked about AWD the last two trades but haven't took the plunge yet. Adds about $25K to the price of a machine. No more hours than we run pushing snow it just can't be justified for that alone. I'd like it when cleaning out road ditches or sloping road banks. I started on a '73 Cat knuckle buster in 1989. Ran it one year. Township board member came to my house one day and asked if I was going to stay as their operator? I said if you'll have me. A week later he called me and asked me to bring the ole Cat to town the next morning with the snow plow on. I showed up in town the next morning to a brand spanking new JD670B sitting in the street!!!!! The hauler was using an old equipment hauler trailer with rear ramps. The Cat didn't have a lick of a brake. The truck driver made one attempt at loading then got out and said that damn thing can stay here as far as I'm concerned!!! I said you want me to load that for you? He said I sure as He** ain't loading it. I put if on the trailer for him and never ran another grader without hydraulics. That first new JD didn't have AC. I ran it for 6 years, mostly with the doors open...... That's a dirty business when maintaining gravel roads!!!! Since that one we've always had climate control. We are soooooo spoiled now aren't we???

  36. #36ovrszd2017-01-19 10:55

    Hard to talk on the phone too. Or take action photos. My JD turns easily and can be done with one finger in the steering wheel. I agree, lot less shoulder/neck stress with the joysticks. I've ran JD's GP model. It relieves that stress as well. And it's got a steering wheel if you feel the need.

  37. #37alaskaforby42017-01-19 12:52

    Do you have anymore pictures of this wing? Never quite seen a set-up like that!

  38. #38Cat 140M AWD2017-01-19 17:24

    I myself have never cared for the older Deere machines they had such a small cab and I thought there hydraulics were very pore compared to the cat machines but I grew up on all cat equipment so maybe I was just spoiled lol yes it is hard to multitask while operating the M series I went to an in the ear Bluetooth for my phone and love it makes talking on phone way easier while blading here's a picture of my brand new 140M3 AWD got it in June got a new v plow and 14ft Balderson snow wing with hydraulic rear lift ovrsd what year is your 770G? Other company I work for just brought a used 2009 with 6500 hrs on it going to be a nice upgrade from the 1996 770CH I operated before

  39. #39ovrszd2017-01-19 17:52

    The Deere I run is a 2012 model. The older B and C/CH model deere machines had a small cab. When they introduced the D model they increased cab size and continue that today with the G models. I chuckled when I read your comment about not liking the small Deere cab. That's my biggest complaint about the Cat M models. There isn't even a place to put your lunch cooler. The cup holder is stupid and poorly located. There are no storage compartments anywhere for things like gloves, dust rags, extra clothing, etc. And when operating in hot, bright sunshine, there's no shade in the cab at anytime except direct noon. I feel like I'm in a Goldfish bowl. Nice pics of a completely NEW machine!!!!

  40. #40ovrszd2017-01-19 18:03

    Our wing was originally designed to be used on an older, rigid framed machine. The brace bolted to a bracket on the tandem drive between the tires. Intended use was the moldboard and the wing parallel. I built a bracket the bolts to the moldboard using two cutter edge bolts. The brace telescopes but once I got it figured out I never change it. You can also move the bracket on the moldboard to change the angle of the wing. It's not designed to do extreme winging. Use it with common sense and it works fine. I've never had any problems with it and have never done any damage to the moldboard. But I think that is possible if improperly used. I hate to get weather that requires me to use it. But when that weather comes, I'm glad we have it. Been using it since 1990. My roads are always wide enough for two lane traffic. Other townships in my area will be down to one lane paths thru the bad areas by the end of a hard Winter.

  41. #41ovrszd2017-01-19 18:16

    I've been blessed to get six new machines to run. Few years ago we got a new JD D model and shortly afterward the township next to me got a new 140M. I dug thru my pics and found a couple that compare cab size of the current Cat and Deere graders. I've got a gazillion more but these two best compare cab size.

  42. #42Cat 140M AWD2017-01-22 12:31

    The new Deere Machines do have a nice cab on them and the cab on the M series is still bigger then the old Deere machines and theres plenty of room inside the M series cab for your luch pail and waterjug I put my lunch pail on the right side under the joystick plenty of room there and my waterjug I put on the left side by the handrail there both good machines only thing I really hate about the Deere machine and its really a small thing is that the rear work lights on the back of the machine only come on while in reverse they really need a switch to either have them on or off I work a fair amount in the dark and you cant see crap behind you in the deere machine.

  43. #43ovrszd2017-01-24 18:37

    The last two machines we've had have the deluxe light package. 18 lights total. I have the two at the back corners of the cab pointing rearward. I can see well enough thru my mirrors to see the roadbed behind me at night. The reverse lights just add to that when turning around.

  44. #44Graderfan19812017-01-25 17:07

    Nice pictures from your grader, thanks for sharing And i like the new forum layout, it seems it is now easier here with upload photos.

  45. #45ovrszd2017-01-25 19:57

    Thanks. Actually took me a few seconds to figure out the picture thing. But I'm slow.