Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gravel Anyone?

cosmaar1 · 2025-04-25 18:14

I’m bound and determined to finish my driveway this year. I’ve owned my property for six years now, and only have about 100 feet completed out of the 700 feet I’m estimating the driveway to be when it’s all said and done. Needless to say, this is the year. I am gonna get it done! The picture shows what 145 ton of limestone looks like! Hopefully this will get me to around 450 feet complete in total.

Replies14
  1. #1CM19952025-04-25 18:27

    Looks like #23's or light surge? That's around 6 tri-axle loads here, how much a ton? Do you plan on topping it with some smaller rock? Looks like it's going to be pretty thick if you're just spreading those small piles out or is it for more of the driveway not pictured?

  2. #2cosmaar12025-04-25 19:24

    I got 4 loads of #2 (2-1/2 - 1-1/2) and 2 loads #1 (3-1/2 - 1-1/2). At least that’s what they call it in Ohio where I live. 6 loads total. All in, between the price per ton, taxes, delivery, and fuel surcharge it was $34.04 or so per ton. This is buying straight from the quarry and having their standby trucks deliver. It’s about 40 minutes one way to the property unfortunately. And yes I plan to top it with a 304 or similar to flatten everything out. That will be a while down the road, most likely after the house is built. But we will see, maybe that will get done this year. Depends on the motivation level as I’m also trying to sign up for a little government funding on maintaining my forest. The picture here, the red I already had which is what this is staged on. I foresee being able to do the line in blue with this amount. The red square is where the house will be.

  3. #3CM19952025-04-25 19:35

    Same nomenclature on stone sizing here - it all has to do with the size of the holes in the screens. #1, #2 and so on. The smaller the # the bigger the stone. Not familiar with the 304 designation though. $34 bucks a ton is a pretty good price delivered. That's close to what we pay and we buy a fair amount of stone in a year. Property looks great. Keep us posted on the progress.

  4. #4Old Doug2025-04-26 08:18

    My Dad built several homes to live in and several buildings for his businesses and even one church building . So there was a lot of rock gravel hauled . I always thought it would save money and be handy to have are own truck . I finally got something about 6 years ago. I was totally wrong about how handy and money it would save. I can not begin to figure out what it has saved or how handy it is. This truck i have is the handiest thing i have ever owned . I would not be without it . I can see owning your own truck wouldnt be for everyone but it great for some. If i could go back in time to when i started driving one of the things i would tell my self is buy a dump truck of some kind.

  5. #5NH575E2025-04-26 08:51

    If you have any crushed concrete available in your area it makes a great top layer screened to 3/4". I pick it up for $20-$25 per ton around here but delivery prices are through the roof. I'm not talking about washout. I will never use that crap again.

  6. #6IceHole2025-04-26 12:07

    25 tons in an end dump? We haul about half that! 12-20k steer depending on tire, 38k tandem drives, tri is 42k.

  7. #7CM19952025-04-26 12:45

    No 25 tons in a tri-axle dump truck. One like this - If I could find a good drive I'd buy one. Plenty of work to go around here.

  8. #8T-town2025-04-26 14:46

    We are (were ?) @ around 350 -$400 delivered for that 22ton triaxle load of "modified" that I used ( and will need more to finish) on our 2000'+ driveway. 1 1/4" minus. Local Pa hard rock. Quarry is within 2 miles.... I am on the same ridge.

  9. #9CM19952025-04-26 16:25

    That's very cheap. 1.5" crusher run or 825B modified is $20 a ton plus tax and delivery.

  10. #10PeterG2025-04-26 16:53

    20-22 tons sounds to me like a pretty good heavy loaded tri axle. Hey! I've got a triaxle for sale!

  11. #11HarleyHappy2025-04-26 19:09

    Pretty much the same here, Tri-axle loaded, I pay 425.00 delivered, for 3/4” up to 5” minus, no tax, no weight slip, just cash discount. Guy has been hauling for my family for over 40 years.

  12. #12CM19952025-04-26 19:20

    That's cheap. Last 25 ton load of #57's washed was over $800 delivered. No sales tax on that load since the project is tax exempt.

  13. #13IceHole2025-04-27 16:22

    Yeah what I was saying too. At best, 20k steer, 38k drives plus i think it's 2k for the single wheel tag? 4k? Not positive, I've only run 10 wheelers. Figure is around 25k empty. In a 10 wheel at best it's 58k.. if loaded perfectly. So that's 33k of material, or 16.5 tons. We usually loaded 12-15 tons depending on which truck and to allow so leaway. A bit less dirt is better than an overweight ticket, or a crash with an overweight truck. Prices... Last I bought was $12 a yard over the counter price for 1" minus. So $120-140 a load. Pit run was about half that. The good guy price (buying a metric shitload) was $8 I think. My truck is a 1990 Mack R model with a 400 E7, Mack 12 speed and Mack top loader drives with camelback suspension

  14. #14IceHole2025-04-27 16:43

    Here's a price sheet from 1 pit I've hauled from.