Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gravel Road Reclaimation

buggyman · 2009-02-27 03:23

Hi guys. I have a small road district which I’m recondition their gravel roads. They have one bridge crossing a small river; the bridge is 20 feet wide and about 80 feet long. At each end just past the transition from cement retainers to gravel; the roads get beat out and rough. I was wondering if anyone has ever been around any gravel roads using Portland Cement for Soil Stabilization or Road Reclamation. From what I can find on the internet this may be a cost effective way to stabilize the bridge ends instead of taking out the old fill and hauling in new 2-3” base, compacting it and topping with ¾” minus gravel.. Most recommendation for stabilizing road base is between 6 and 10% of Portland Cement. Has anyone ever seen if this works/holds up on gravel roads? Any recommendations on percent of cement to use? Thanks, Paul Kingsbury

Replies3
  1. #1Northart2009-02-27 09:13

    Washboarding Hello Buggyman, My thoughts is that, even if you pave it, for 20'-30' back from each abutment, you just move the rough zone, back further down the road. The transitions always get potholing and washboarding. Just like the stop sign areas where all the braking action occurs. Its, just a fact of gravel roads, there are specific high maintenance areas.

  2. #2buggyman2009-02-27 13:15

    Hi Northart I'm not looking at paving the area past the abutments. I was just wondering if this might improve the stability of the road and lessen the potholes? Thanks, Paul

  3. #3MKTEF2009-02-27 13:27

    Using cement works, you are making concrete of the upper layer. But, as Northart says, you are moving your problem further into the road. Then the transition area at the end of the concrete will be washboards...