Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Green Strobes

hvy 1ton · 2020-08-05 23:52

Anybody else noticing contractors using green strobes on their trucks? 2 paving contractors and a traffic control company have green strobes on their newest trucks on top of the normal amber/white.

Replies25
  1. #1mitch5042020-08-06 00:16

    Whether that is legal or not varies from state to state. And, no, I haven't seen any around here.

  2. #2CM19952020-08-06 07:43

    I've seen a few of the larger companies with green and white on their pickups. As far as I know it's legal to run green lights in AL. All the private security aka Mall Cops run green light bars. Personally I would rather have orange and white.

  3. #3BigWrench552020-08-06 08:31

    It's a scientific reason for the green lights. Studies have shown that drunks are more likely to be drawn into red,blue, and amber flashing lights. The green goes unnoticed by drunks.

  4. #4DMiller2020-08-06 08:51

    Not seen it here, see most contractors around here using White and Yellow.

  5. #5funwithfuel2020-08-06 10:34

    Red blue and green are reserved for emergency vehicles only in the people's republic of Illinois. They get pi$$y about blue tinted lamps.

  6. #6kshansen2020-08-06 11:43

    So are you trying to tell me that if I have never seen a green strobe then I must be a drunk?

  7. #7funwithfuel2020-08-06 12:14

    Isn't the whole purpose to BE seen?

  8. #8DMiller2020-08-06 13:57

    Problem one are those undiagnosed with seizures related to mild epilepsy, flashing lights can cause a lock up type seizure, color of that flashing light can contribute.

  9. #9Truck Shop2020-08-06 14:20

    Can't run those in Washington St unless you are a volunteer fireman.

  10. #10BigWrench552020-08-06 14:51

    I read about this some time back. Studies show that drunks are more likely to focus in and drive toward the red, blue, and amber lights. They see the green lights but for whatever reason they aren't drawn into them.

  11. #11funwithfuel2020-08-06 14:58

    That makes more sense. On a different note,but in the same thought, I sure wish that NHTSA would enact a rule for intensity. I don't need to know someone is broke down if I'm in outer space. For that matter , headlights don't need to be as bright as they are. I shouldn't have to wear welding glasses at night.

  12. #12seville0092020-08-06 15:22

    I’ve flashed a few of the newer Superduties that have double daytime led lights - realized later that they were low beam. Still very bright even in daylight.

  13. #13Truck Shop2020-08-06 17:29

    Back in the 70's early 80's there quite a few OTR's running air craft landing lights. If you crossed a a scale in the 11 western states and the weigh master saw them he would red light the rig walk out with a bat and knock them out. Then tell the driver to pickup the pieces. Saw one at Shasta get that treatment. DOT had zero tolerance when it came to those lights. And rightly so.

  14. #14kshansen2020-08-06 19:36

    I wish the various states could have gotten together many years ago and decided on a standard for colors of emergency warning lights. In on state blue is vol.firemen and another it's state police and so on! As for the green guess I won't be noticing any tonight as wife served some wine with dinner and two small glasses is a bit beyond my limit! Yea I'm a cheap drunk! If I go to a local micro-brew pub and get a flight of 4 four ounce samples to try I am just lucky wife is driving as I would not be safe at any speed!

  15. #15JD955SC2020-08-06 22:21

    Seen some wheel loaders with green beacons instead of the normal orange/yellow but not trucks or signage otherwise My branch supports one major interstate work project and the safety requirements for that job are very high. No backing up, have to wear special reflective sleeves and leggings in addition to vests (our normal uniforms with reflective stripes aren’t enough for their requirement), have to wear a hard hat halo light at night, support vehicles such as pickups and service trucks have to have 360 visible lights/strobes, have to have a special sign on the rear of the vehicle saying you are a construction vehicle. I was nervous as all get out when I had to go out there to diagnose a machine.

  16. #16kshansen2020-08-07 11:41

    There are times I think construction sites should hire ex-military snipers to protect workers, shoot a few idiots and post it on the news and I bet the other drivers out there would learn to slow down and move over pretty fast. If that's too much just give the snipers paint ball guns to mark the cars!

  17. #17DMiller2020-08-07 12:47

    OH PLEASE OH PLEASE, I want to Volunteer on the paintball use!!!!!!! Am retired and dearly despise IDIOT Drivers!!

  18. #18Don.S2020-08-07 18:54

    Maybe it is different where you guys live but here in Montreal we have two seasons one is winter and the other is road construction. The speed that work gets done at is absolutely pathetic. They will shut a three lane highway down to one lane then do a day of work and go on the two week construction holiday and leave it as one lane. After a while you just become numb to the orange cones and flashing light and totally forget that at some places there are actually people working and lives at risk as you fly past.

  19. #19Truck Shop2020-08-07 19:01

    That's called spiking the job-perpetual road construction, never mind the cost over run.

  20. #20BigWrench552020-08-07 19:04

    If you did that. You would have to go back to work after spending your nest egg on paint balls. There is no shortage of idiot drivers these days.

  21. #21kshansen2020-08-07 20:22

    If Dmiller gets that job I'll kick in for the second case of paint balls! https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Sports-Outdoors-Paintball-Paintballs/zgbs/sporting-goods/3415601 Select your color and caliper!

  22. #22Truck Shop2020-08-07 20:38

    Nest egg? I didn't know DM was a bird. No shortage of idiot drivers-that's no shortage of idiot drivers on cell phones. Take away the phone and watch road rage rise because they are having to pay attention to what is going on around them.

  23. #23petepilot2020-08-07 21:02

    only my opinion.. allowing a cell phone to be used in a vehicle moving at 70-75 mph by the driver is one the most dangerous situations ever approved .

  24. #24Steve Frazier2020-08-07 22:39

    In NY green lights are reserved for EMS technicians although I'm seeing more halo lights in all colors. Technically they're illegal.

  25. #25Bumpsteer2020-08-08 00:30

    Our county road commission has been using an amber/green strobe combo for a while now... Ed