Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Guess the Red Iron

Squizzy246B ยท 2008-10-19 09:18

The McCormack Hay Baler in front doesn't help.....and I object to a hay baler that I operated for many hundreds of hours as a kid being referred to as an "antique" but I digress. Guess the Red Iron in the background

Replies16
  1. #1digger242j2008-10-19 10:35

    Do I hear the melodic strains of "The Old Gray Mare", playing faintly in the background?

  2. #2Squizzy246B2008-10-19 10:39

    Touche! But at least my baler was drawn by a tractor

  3. #395zIV2008-10-19 12:08

    Weren't they always?:beatsme

  4. #4surfer-joe2008-10-19 12:51

    Squizzy, I would have to guess that it's a LeTourneau painted red, or maybe a Garwood. Not a good picture for sure. It may also be a Bucyrus product, they were known to paint stuff red for International. Is that being pulled by a TD9? And is that a TD18 in the background? Is this down at that museum near your place? The sheave cluster tends to look like a LeTourneau to me.

  5. #5Squizzy246B2008-10-19 17:29

    Joe wins the prize. Le Tourneau it is. I'll post a few more pics as soon as I get the chance. Yes its a TD9.

  6. #6WabcoMan2008-10-19 18:58

    Squizzy, That's a LeTourneau model D Carryall painted IH red. Originally designed so it could be dropped by aircraft (in about 7 or 8 pieces) and assembled in the field. They're kind of a scaled down model LS and load very well. Easy to tip over though.:scool

  7. #7Squizzy246B2008-10-20 10:22

    Thanks Joe and Wabco man. Here is a few more pics...there was not enough room or light because the place is so jammed full of red iron...and most of it runs. Definetly a TD18 back there Joe.

  8. #8Squizzy246B2008-10-20 10:33

    Joe, you are correct that I was at a museum, the Dardanup Heritage Park to be exact. But it is not an IH museum......these pics were only in the IH shed.....they have about 14 sheds!. It seems like you name it...they got it....Lanz Bulldog, Chamberlain, JD, Moline, Oliver.....They have some great Massey stuff. There is so much stuff to see I am going back for a full day soon. In like 4 hours I just skimmed through......You should see the Cat shed!

  9. #9Squizzy246B2008-10-21 10:45

    The whole range is on display

  10. #10racsan2008-10-21 13:34

    some nice stuff, for sure.

  11. #11hardtail2008-10-22 01:50

    Thats an interesting display, the odd TD6 still surfaces with the stainless slats on the grills, wonder if it was a one year offering? Great pics.....no TD24???

  12. #12Squizzy246B2008-10-22 07:48

    and an 18

  13. #13Squizzy246B2008-10-22 07:52

    Here is another of the 18 being worked on: and a 14A

  14. #14Squizzy246B2008-10-22 07:54

    The Heritage Park has a website here that shows a few pic...including one of those "Big Green Thingummys". http://www.dardanupheritagepark.com.au/Photo Gallery?gallery_name=Tractors

  15. #15hardtail2008-10-22 08:03

    Ah yes I had heard a TC12 was being shipped over..........nice save:drinkup for a 40 ton machine they sure are nimble, full track articulation it can turn within it's own length as if on a pole

  16. #16surfer-joe2008-10-22 20:16

    The pics of the TD24 brought back some instant memories of one I used in Rhode Island during and after a northeaster brought in about three feet of heavy wet snow. I was assigned to break a trail on the road leading from the Seabee Base at Davisville over to the naval station at Quonset Point. That took half a day to cover about 4 miles. Then I was told to break the roads open around Quonset starting at the main gate to the airfield. I finished up the day well after dark by making some parking available in front of my barracks for me and my pals -- who were also on snow removal duty. As the chow hall had closed by that time, seven of us took my car, a 69 Oldsmobile 88, off base and finally found a pizzeria open over in Narraganset where we had several of the best pizza's I ever remember. The next morning we were back at it as it snowed even more overnight. I broke a trail down the main runway so the base snowplows could get a running start, and had to go back to help then finish off when the snow-banks got too high to handle. Otherwise I plowed in every direction I was pointed for the rest of that day and the next. Then I got put on an Awful-Western Pacer 100, one of the most ill-conceived motor graders ever built in my not so humble opinion. I worked the rest of the week with that all over both bases. The TD24 worked steadily all thorough the storm. It was set up much like the one in these pictures with no cab nor canopy. It did have the big winch, which I used a lot, but the dozer was a bullgrader style and it was hydraulic. Oh yeah, it was painted Olive Drab too. I froze my behinder off on the 24 and the Pacer as we were not given foul-weather clothing. One of the guys knew someone over in the Antarctic Support Activity group and that fella finally supplied us with parkas, Mickey-Mouse boots, and huge mittens. I bought some insulated underwear off-base and about wore them out over the course of two weeks.