Does anyone care to guess what model this is? One hint, Its not the first thing that comes to mind
4020 :usa Woohoo! whadda I win?:drinkup
I'll guess a 4000. My second guess would be a 4010. The third and last guess would be a pre 1969 4020. The 69 and newer 4020 does not have the levers on the dashboard immediatly to the left of the steering column. Those levers operate the SCVs and the rockshaft and on 69+ these controls are located to the operators right on a side console beside the seat.
If it's not the 1st that comes to mind? The controls look like they are on the dash, that would mean it shouldn't be a 4000, or any 20 series but a 68 or older 4020. The only 10 seires I saw had the PTO lever on this side. The fenders also look like 4020 fenders, 4320, 4520's had larger longer fenders. I'm going to say a 4020, which is the 1st thing that comes to mind. Note: There is 1 lever on the left dash of the 69 and newer 20 series, and the 4000's which is for the PTO. Being moved from the side of the dash on the right to the left dash.
it's a 4000. my buddy has one and his dad told me that the 4000 only had one headlight per fender one scv and the pto lever is on the other side as well. everything else is pretty much the same as a 4010. also 4010's have a second breather stack in front of the smoke stack.
It is a '70 4000 You guys know your Deeres
Nothing :roll
For a while I drove a 4440, the standard fuel tank of which would hold enough juice to work 8 hours, the thinking being that was an American farmers working day Over here they are fitted with a belly tank and can then go 24 hours before needing a drink, the Aussie farmers working day
hey ......watch it now..... .....Me and the boss were talking about "running all night" one time, and it just seems stupid somtimes, because after going 20 hours strait, you wake up the next day and have no gas left in ya...there are some situations were I can see going a few extra hours....such as rain or bad weather moving in, but otherwise, you sit and listen to some guys b.s., saying, "I was out till 3 in the morning plowing" ointhead and I just say, "and what time to you get outa bed then?":beatsme
I grew up on a 4240 It had a 40 gallon tank If you started plowing at 7 am the only way you would be late for lunch is if you ran out of fuel You could go 5 hours but better be looking for a fuel barrlel
We run many times from about 7 am til 2-3 am Really no biggy
I thought the 4000 was real low to the ground like a 5010.
Nope a 4000 is a row crop tractor basically a economy version of a 4020
What I have been told the differences were The 4000 was a lighter version of the 4020. I have heard it referred to as the “4020 with the 4010 rear end”. The only real differences that I know of were the castings in the rear were lighter, no differential lock, and I read fewer synchronizers. The rest of the tractor was suppose to be the same, the motor, cooling, Hp,etc. I don’t know the differences on the power shift version. I have spent many hours on a 4000 and and many more on several 4020’s. As far as the lights, scv’s and the pre-cleaner (air-stack) I’ve seen 4000’s with the same set-up as the 4020 and vise versa. I think these were all options. The 4000 I ran had 2 SCV remotes , 2 lights per fender, no pre-cleaner, and was not a “dash“ model. I have a very good friend that has a 4020 with one light per fender, and is a dash model (1968). I have a Deere book that said the reason for it was to do the same amount of work as a 4020, but with smaller implements. To pull a 4 btm plow fast enough to cover the same ground as the 4020 with a 5.
Well, now i feel stupid. ointhead I read it as it would be the first thing that comes to mind.:Banghead And i spent a large portion of my childhood around a 4020 and a 4440, so that was the first thing to come to mind.
everyone i talk to at shows and other farms that have 4000's call them the poor man's 4020
Basically thats what they where
test test
4020s 2 4020s we used in the 1980s and early 90s. Great tractors we really regret parting with them. The 4wd tractor is a 1971 powershift, the duals and pfwd are original, this tractor is dead in a shed not far from us. The 2wd tractor a 67 powershift, was purchased by a swiss guy, the 4 pics together is when she was packed for shipping to switzerland. Something different about 4020s in NZ is all the tractors other than the very first where fitted with the large standard and not the smaller rowcrop fenders most common in US. we kept our 3020
One of my tractor books said the 4000 was a 4010 with a 4020 engine. The idea behind it was it would pull a 3 botton alot faster then the 4020 could pull a 4 bottom so at the end of the day the 4000 would have plowed more ground. But I guess it didnt work out that way. I guess the 4000 would pull a 3 bottom as fast as the 4020 could pull a 4. Thanks for the pics snowpony, I wish I had the loader tractor.