Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ih 484

Michaeljp86 ยท 2009-04-09 23:42

Here is some pictures of my 484, my first tractor. I paid $1000 for it and it had a engine knock. I got it apart and found a spun bearing and a chewed up crank shaft. A bracket on the pickup tube for the oil pump was broke and the tube was flopping around and I think it was sucking air and low oil pressure caused the damage. I rebuilt the engine in 07 and painted it last summer with a broken collar bone. It took 3 times as long but I got it done before fall. I still need to get a new seat and rear tires.

Replies14
  1. #1Michaeljp862009-04-09 23:49

    It blows through 2 feet of snow like its not even there.

  2. #2Russelln2009-04-10 00:17

    That is one beautiful machine. I sure with that was sitting on my farm.

  3. #3Gadgetman2009-04-12 08:43

    Nice job, A lot of hard work in a project like that. The hard part is deciding where to draw the line. The further you tear into it the more you want to re-do.

  4. #4Cretebaby2009-04-12 10:01

    That is a handy size of tractor!

  5. #5Michaeljp862009-04-12 10:22

    I restored a 8ft transport disk to go along with the 484. I had to have something nice looking to pull around with it. The sad thing is the cost to restore the disk was about 2/3 of what it cost to restore the tractor. Two wheel bearings were almsot $200. The disk cost a fortune to restore.

  6. #6WooshNI2009-05-16 12:02

    HI I also have a 484 with cab. Does your hand brake work? Apparently they are a PITA to fix. I will try and post some photos when I am allowed to post.

  7. #7Michaeljp862009-05-16 12:51

    I guess in europe the 484 was a big seller. Here they are pretty rare, the 384 is even more rare. No my hand brake doesnt work, I wish it did. Thats another thing I need to work on.

  8. #8stock2009-05-17 18:07

    All we did was fit a mechanical lock to the brake pedals as doing the hand brake band resulted in more issues with the backends and hydraulics on most of the 3-4 cyl internationals.Well nearly as many issues as putting in the wrong oil in the back end. Stock

  9. #9Richardjw~2009-05-18 02:00

    yes, you need double jointed arms to get in there to pull out the split pins that hold the band in place. Once you've repaired them make sure there's a working warning light on the dash to warn the operator when its on - or wire it up to the horn :tong

  10. #10bigblueox2009-05-18 08:38

    man i'm envious! we have a 485 that cleans the barns, sure wish it looked like that! wanna trade?

  11. #11WooshNI2009-05-18 11:56

    Could you provide details of perhaps a photo of the lock for the brake pedal. Thanks.

  12. #12stock2009-05-18 15:50

    Basically all we used to do was get two pieces of flat weld one piece to to the cab frame if front of the pedals cut a notch/bend the second one so that fits over the pedal . Press the pedal and clamp the two pieces together with a grips and drill a hole thru both pieces, insert a bolt with a washer and lock nut.Leave a little play on the pedals to allow for easy of release of lock

  13. #13WooshNI2009-05-19 15:08

    Ok Thanks for that.

  14. #14atgreene2009-05-19 16:29

    Nice job! I just got a 504 that I need to clean-up and do some restoration to.