I've got a 1970 JD450B crawler/dozer and the hydraulic system is contaminated with water. I have drained the reservoir and replaced with new fluid but what is in the system is still milk white. I suspect that there is quite a bit of water in the cylinders themselves and had hoped that if I drain and re-fill the reservoir a few times I may be able to get most of the water out but not sure if that will work. Will my drain and fill/drain and fill idea work or am I gonna have to drain the entire system? If so can anyone suggest a way to completely drain the system so that I can start fresh?
i would drain the whole system because you are gonna wast a lot of fluid trying work the water out of the cylinders then drain again
After a drain and flush, and knowing how much of a trauma water and or condensation can be, is there an additive that can disperse moisture? Or have I dreamt that?!
I've heard of people using a product made by seafoam called trans tune. It supposedly collects the condensation and dries it out somehow. Recommends 4 ounces per gallon. Which would add up quickly in a hydraulic system. I've heard before of draining the oil into buckets and letting it settle and then put the whole buckets into a large deep freezer to freeze the water then scoop the ice chunks out to be able to reuse the water. I suppose it could be an option. A lengthy option but an option none the less.
The way I've done it requires a backhoe or something that can lift and lower the blade. Run the machine up onto blocks high enough that the blade is fully down. Drain the tank, then put the lever into the raise position W/O the dozer running. Leave the drain plug out and raise the blade and hold for a minute or so, then move the lever to the down position and leave it there for a minute or so. Do this several times to get as much of the old oil out of the cylinders as possible. If it has a hydraulic angle blade, push/pull the blade back and forth to empty those cylinders too, same for the tilt cylinders if so equipped. About the only other way would be to drain the tank, take lines apart as well as pins out and cycling all the cylinders by hand.
There is no need to cycle any cylinders by hand. Read this thread and take note of what Nige says in post #6. It is the only way to completely flush the contaminated oil from the system. Be aware that you are wasting your time unless you determine how the water got into the system and prevent it from happening again.