Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Harsh Environment/Weather-resistant Labels

pjcat ยท 2022-07-10 17:16

I have a bucket truck which is over 20 years old. Some hyra. hoses are bad and need to be exchanged. I was looking for some type of labels to identify the hoses also after the job is done. I found some brass and aluminum tags but am not sure if this is the best and easiest way to go. I would have to engrave those. Also on the electrical cables are existing labels but are now hard to read; so i would also like to renew those. Same thing I don't know if there is something professionally recommended, so it can last a long time. Found some "Brady" labels but don't know if this is the right stuff. Any Suggestions? Thanks a lot. Pat

Replies9
  1. #1renovator2022-07-10 18:44

    We use lots of Brady labels and they hold up reasonably well in our very intense sun. The machine to print them and the label tape are quite expensive however. If you have any electrical or mechanical contractor friends, you might ask them.

  2. #2Tinkerer2022-07-11 07:45

    For hydraulic lines I use colored zip ties on the fittings and the hoses that are on them. After using all the single colors and needing more ID's I use two different colors on them.

  3. #31693TA2022-07-11 08:06

    I used a lot of Brady labels and shrink tube when working on both electrical, and hydraulic runs. I have one of their imprinters for both labels and the shrink tube but you have to run their stock in it. They held up about the best to exposure but as mentioned the "upfront" costs are quite high. For a one off type job it is probably best to sublet the task. Colored zip ties work well but the cheap ones don't like to stay together very long in strong sunlight. Thomas & Betts does market some very good ones, but again $$$. It may sound silly but the best lasting color coding zip ties I've used were branded "Burndy", (black) which I spray painted with "Rust-Oleum" industrial enamel in chosen colors believe it or not. They are still in place on a radar tower facing the ocean in California as I still talk to the guys out there.

  4. #41466IH2022-07-11 08:45

    I use a lot of telephone wire and an engraver. For hydraulic fittings I just engrave numbers on them. Also all of my steel caps/plugs are kept in pairs with initials and numbers. For the phone wire I just stop at my local phone company and get a foot or so at a time. https://nassaunationalcable.com/pro...9-direct-burial-outside-plant-telephone-cable

  5. #5pjcat2022-07-12 02:47

    Yeah just for one machine I wouldn't want to spend the money for a imprinter. But what about if I write with a Sharpie on a Brady label? Doesn't the protective layer wrap around over the written part? Zip ties are a good idea, I didn't think about that. I had mre in mind to really label my hoses, so I know which one leads to what part on the machine. On some of the existing hoses, they are marked handwritten with a white marker. I was wondering what marker this could be, must be really good and enduring?

  6. #6Mary982022-07-12 03:09

    test

  7. #71693TA2022-07-12 04:46

    I believe you are correct with the overwrap style labels but I really didn't use them myself. My handwriting skills are not great so always used something more legible. I've seen a lot of these type paint markers used over the years also and they seem to hold up well: https://www.uline.com/BL_1702/Valve...a1296f50a1d41dd923360d9d95a180d3&gclsrc=3p.ds

  8. #8Tinkerer2022-07-12 09:51

    A lot of photos before removal helps me a lot.

  9. #9JLarson2022-07-13 00:23

    We use brass and SS tags and wire to mark conduits, valves, hoses and pipes outside. You can get holders for number/letter stamps to make them look good.