Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Harvesting potatoes with David Brown 1290

Metsaman ยท 2015-09-06 00:25

My "new" David Brown tractor first official job today was potatoes harvesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq2tiwtXksM

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies7
  1. #1Blueboy2015-09-06 21:18

    The spud grabber. It's a lot easer with the right equipment. Are the potatoes for you and family or you taking them to market?

  2. #2Metsaman2015-09-07 12:30

    Just for family, sometimes also few neighborhoods too.

  3. #3ScottAR2015-09-07 23:34

    Looks like a proper job...

  4. #4Metsaman2015-09-09 13:07

    Thanks.

  5. #5Pixie2015-09-09 19:43

    Nice looking tractor ! I live in potato country. Always makes me laugh when I see their big harvester with the name 'Spudnik' on it

  6. #6Metsaman2015-09-11 12:38

    Thank You, I see picture that harvester on some farmers magazine and have look few times, are that machine name really Spudnik.. and it really is.. : )

  7. #7DDoug2015-09-11 13:09

    http://www.spudnik.net/about/History.php Yup, big farm around here has (2) of them (Spudniks), look to have (2) chain conveyors each 6' wide for a "mouth" of 12' wide. I walked up to it, you could easily walk under/thru it, each pulled by a very new John Deere rubber tracked tractor, with adjustable width. And then my friend has a very old operation with junk machines.....I drove a 1954 dodge truck, hauling potatoes one day....keep your feet on the pedals as you watch the road go by underneath (no floor at all anymore) Did you "kill the tops" with spray or use a cutter ? or did you get a frost ? Around here, they don't wait for frost, the fields get too wet, so they spray, sprayed about 3 weeks ago. And what variety potatoe ?