I am looking to install a proximity key system on my cat 246c and would like to know if anyone has installed one yet. It would be nice to be able to grab lunch with a little peace of mind knowing it will be difficult for someone to start the machine and drive away. I think all the skid steer companys want the machines to get stolen so they sell more machines, why else would they key these machines alike.
I'll be installing one on my new Pete 337, if it ever gets built. Doesn't Cat offer the resistor ignition key system for that machine?
I know there is a optional security system when ordering a new machine, I dont know if it can be added and how much the cost is if it is available on an older machine.
Our work machines have a battery lockout that we lock when we are away front the machine Simple and effective. If someone wants it bad enuff no matter what they will get it in the end
Can you tell me where I can purchase a battery lockout and how difficult is it to install?
I know it doesn't help you now, but all new D series CAT skids and CTLs come with a standard security system with your own personal code.
Check out NAPA or any big Truck dealer, get a night/knife switch and install it between the battery and the exiting cable (I would install it on the ground cable side) ….. usually your battery is behind a tailgate which is a lockable door …… KISS …. simple and cost effective …… another way would be to install a large amperage solenoid between the power source and the ignition switch, then use a secretly installed toggle switch that only you know where it is ….. when u'r done turn off the machine then switch the secret toggle switch, placed properly they'll be looking for days till they figure out how to hot-wire the skid-steer ….. Any car alarm guy can install a passive entry security to any machine too ! …… just a more elaborate system than the simple toggle switch idea, only it'll have a wireless remote as well …. Bobcat has had the Keyless/security system for YEARS ….. with the option to add a tracking system too !
Thanks. I know...I sold them for 8 years. I was referencing CAT since he has a CAT 246C and was asking about CAT. Bobcat also had Kubota engines, but doesn't now (except for the 3.8L), and CAT does.
Not that the Mitsubishi's were bad, but the Kubota is not going to hurt anything. Should be a very good selling point. Hopefully the Doosan works out for Bobcat, but the Kubota was always one of their strong points. All new Cat's also come with Product Link so you can track where your machine is at. That and a battery disconnect will deter 99% of people from taking it. The other 1% that is smart enough to know to disable the Product Link, reconnect your battery disconnect and knows the multiple locations Cat stamps the PIN on the frame, are the 1% of people that will steal your machine no matter what. I wouldn't worry about them so much, most people are dumb and wont figure out a simple cutoff switch.
A big winch will drag any of them onto a trailer of truck running or not. I don't leave mine anywhere outside unless it's in my backyard next to my bedroom window. But the simple battery cutoff is cheap n easy to put on if it has to be left somewhere
The only thing I would caution is if you do have a telematics system like Cat's Product Link, make sure you at least keep power to those components so you can track the machine later on. Most people would never notice the product link, its a tiny tiny antenna