How many binders and chains should be used when transporting on a gooseneck trailer and should I duck tape the muffler when transporting ?
I usually use 2 chains and 2 binders. One in front, from the trailer, through the tie down lugs, and back to the trailer on the other side. Same in the rear. I pull the front forward between 30 deg and 45 deg, and the rear chain I like at 45 deg back. The rear chain is more important to be pulling back as well as down, since stopping is when you need the restraint. You can rarely accelerate fast enough to make a machine want to move, but you should be able to stop hard enough to make it move. It is also important to balance the load on the trailer, so you get enough tongue weight, but not too much. With the gooseneck, I would go for about 15% of the weight on the hitch. This loads your drive tires for good traction and stability, but don't load it untill the truck squats. It should sit pretty level when properly loaded. As for the muffler, in 25 years, I have never taped one.
As for any loaded equipment. Legal requirements are. 1 chain for each corner of the main body and 1 chain for any boom or implement that moves independent of the main body. Load so 10% of the total weight is on the hitch. You only need to cover the exhaust if it is pointed into the weather. the load and hitch weight are on many CDL tests.
You don't need a chain on every corner if the load is under 10k pounds
It is a good practice to tape over the exhaust if you are hauling a long distance. It is only necessary on turbo engines.
I posted using my bobcat as an example. Here are the rules for under 10,000 Lighe equepment falls into the same groop. a) Applicability. The rules in this section apply to the transportation of automobiles, light trucks, and vans which individually weigh 4,536 kg. (10,000 lb) or less. Vehicles which individually are heavier than 4,536 kg (10,000 lb) must be secured in accordance with the provisions of §393.130 of this part. (b) Securement of automobiles, light trucks, and vans. (1) Automobiles, light trucks, and vans must be restrained at both the front and rear to prevent lateral, forward, rearward, and vertical movement using a minimum of two tiedowns. (2) Tiedowns that are designed to be affixed to the structure of the automobile, light truck, or van must use the mounting points on those vehicles that have been specifically designed for that purpose. Code of Federal Regulations474 (3) Tiedowns that are designed to fit over or around the wheels of an automobile, light truck, or van must provide restraint in the lateral, longitudinal and vertical directions. (4) Edge protectors are not required for synthetic webbing at points where the webbing comes in contact with the tires.
That's the way I have been doing it for 20 years.
When passing the chain in the center in the front should I go over the the bucket or Ty the bucket separate ?
When passing the chain in center front should I put the chains over the bucket or use a different chain ?
I welded a lip across the front of my skidsteer trailer that the edge of the bucket goes under. I use one chain in front and one at the rear, as stated above. Never had a problem.
Never having a problem does not make it legal. Not saying yours is illegal just saying.
Valid point....is legal in Minnesota.
I use one chain and one load binder on each corner of my 773 when I haul it - even for short distances here in Virginia. Since each corner has tie down points it is pretty easy. The idea of putting a chain over the front or back with a load binder seems dicey to me. I imagine some numbskull cutting me off and forcing me to swerve hard could make the bobcat dodge out from under those chains. It makes me more comfortable to think that even if one of the chains comes loose the others are probably sufficient. I am not sure that "never had a problem yet" is a good reason to not secure your load well.
Its SAD to sit and listen to someone trying to rationalize not taking a couple minutes to bind a machine correctly. Maybe next time your wife or children will end up being behind someone who didnt have time to bind theirs down and it ends up KILLING them BECAUSE of someones LAZYNESS. How can someone even think twice about not taking time to bind equipment , it's time for the DOT and POLICE to start taking these people straight to Jail and let them sit there until they take them to someones Funeral and let them explain to the family that it took TOO MUCH OF THEIR PRECIOUS TIME TO KEEP THEIR LOVED ONES ALIVE.... When are people gonna start taking some RESPONSIBILITY for their actions ???
Boy, we're really quick to assume a lot here tonight! No one said anything about "putting a chain over the front or back with a load binder", did they? My 773G has a loop on the lower front for just the purpose of running a chain through it. I use 1/2" (overkill) chain, and two points on the rear. It's not going anywhere. You could try to roll the trailer, but the machine won't come off. Lighten up, and quit reading into what's being posted. We all want everyone to make it home at the end of the day. Good grief!
On ours we run a long chain through the front loop and pull it tight with the machine. Then a chain and binder at both rear corners. Down and to the side at about 45 degs.
here's a pic of a little bobcat,2 staps is all i need! i'm using it to put a full basement under my chainsaw shop,because my 1845C won't fit!.....but it will after i'm done!!!!
Looks like the perfect tool for the job....good luck!
Good looking machine - sure is a lot faster and easier than a shovel and bucket.
You only have to wrap the exhaust if it is a turbo, you dont want the turbo spinning from the wind as you transport it. I always use one chain in the front and one in the rear with a cross pattern, This should be sufficiant.
Great machine! Just wondering if you have done the job great. I want to see the results because I'm planning also to move a machine. And I need some tips about it.
here are some pic's of my "excavation job"...i started out with a"toro",but finished up with the bobcat...it's a much better machine! i love the rental places that have different machines to use!
4 chains, 4 binders, one on each cornor and one on any attachment.....I use a HD racket strap on the bucket or attachment......this is legal format in most states...
Yair . . . will this myth ever go away . . . There are good reasons to cover the exhaust but the chance of a turbo spinning is not one of them. Cheers.
I have heard the spinning turbo argument several times from some people whose opinion I would generally listen to. In thinking about it though, the turbo should only spin if there is a path for the air to run through it. While the exhaust may be open, the airway would be blocked by the valves and combustion chambers on the engine side of the turbo. I suppose GM's may leak a little air via the air box drains, but it wouldn't be much. Is that your thinking too Scrub?
Duct tape the bobcat at all 4 corners, chain the muffler, and you are ready to go. We haul a ditch-witch R40 on a custom built trailer. Behind the 2 axles are D-rings attached to the floor of the trailer, each with about 30"s of chain. We pull the trencher just ahead of the d-rings, then hook the chains to a tie down point on the left and right rear of the trencher. Drive the trencher forward until the chains are tight. Then we only have to worry with the front. Really does save a lot of time.