Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Heavy duty truck scan tools

mattyt1984 · 2023-10-26 15:01

I have a few international trucks and some have check engine lights on. One wont start. They are international Maxx force 7600 trucks. I also have some older 4700 internationals. Can anyone recommend a scanner that I could do anything with that doesn't cost thousands as im only going to use a few times a year. Does anyone rent a scanner?

Replies19
  1. #1Jonas3022023-10-26 18:14

    diesel laptops does rental its hard to find on there website just search for rental on the site not all that cheap of course they want to roll it into a purchase but like you we have to need on a daily basis

  2. #2cfherrman2023-10-26 20:06

    Engine controllers can read codes, might look into putting them in trucks. PowerView® Tactile-Button Displays The PowerView family of tactile-button displays give operators comfortable controls designed for use without or without gloves. PowerView displays are built strong with robust protection against harsh environments and best-in-class screens for unstrained viewability in bright sunlight. Bring... www.enovationcontrols.com I have the power view 485 but have not got it fully programmed and I also have a older engine (1990-95) (j1539 or whatever) so reading codes I'm not there yet. Mine is not a stock application as well. There are other brands, a lot of oems use them to control def. With you having internationals might be nice to have gauges that work for a change too

  3. #3mekanik2023-10-27 07:14

    Navistar's older Servicemaxx diagnostic software is freely available from their website. J1708 is good for 2007 and older and J1939 is good for if I'm not mistaken 2014 and older. You need a laptop and a communication adaptor. ServiceMaxx

  4. #4MG842023-10-27 07:59

    What does the communication adapter consist of and where do you get one? I have an ‘00 IH 4700 w/ DT466e that I’d like to be able to pull codes from.

  5. #5mekanik2023-10-27 09:17

    The adaptor comes with cables to connect to the truck or machine a cable to connect to the computer and software that is installed in the computer to make it work. I see Cummins Inline-6 adaptors on Amazon for a couple hundred dollars. If they have a minimum level of tech support then that is a good buy. We are using a NexIq adaptor where I work. Not Found www.nexiq.com It looks like $700 plus for a new one form the attached link. Not Found www.nexiq.com The communication speed went from 250 kbps to 500 kbps a couple years ago and the connector changed. The new connector is green the old was grey or black. The new one is backwards compatible. There a lot of old ones around that will work on the older trucks that are now obsolete we have at least two or three at our shop. You might get lucky and find a shop that will sell an old one. Make sure the software is available.

  6. #6heymccall2023-10-27 10:27

    For what little use I have...Bluefire dongle (I paid $300 years ago), and free phone/ tablet app. Used on my '07 W900, '11 389, and my '13 337. Can reset, also shows faults and quite a bit of live data. Doesn't do everything, but has paid for itself after being able to see fault for DEF that otherwise would've required trip to dealer.

  7. #7Truck Shop2023-10-27 12:50

    This is too funny-When I retired/left the shop I tossed out a large box full of all the connections/ green and black plus all the cables/adaptor for laptop. I tried to give away locally no body wanted any of it.

  8. #8Johan52024-08-19 03:40

    The Best Truck Diagnostic Tools in 2024: 1. John Deere Service Advisor 2. Noregon JPRO Professional Truck Diagnostic Scan Tool 3. CAT Caterpillar ET Diagnostic Tool 4. New Holland Electronic Service Tools 5. Volvo Vocom 88890300 V2.8, Development Edition 6. Perkins EST Interface 7. JCB Electronic Service Tool 8. WABCO DIAGNOSTIC KIT 9. NEXIQ USB Link 10. Cummins INLINE 6 and Cummins INLINE 7 11. Jaltest Diagnostic Truck Set 12. Scania VCI3 Diagnostic Tool 13. TEXA Truck and Trailer Diagnostic Tool 14. MAN T427 with MAN CATS3 15. Mitsubishi MUT-3 diagnostic tool 16. XTOOL D8 Diagnostic Tool 17. Deutz Diagnose Kit 18. Autel Maxisys MS909CV

  9. #9AristoTruckTech2024-08-22 13:16

    if anyone needs any diesel diagnostic software or remote tuning services shoot me a PM!

  10. #10materthegreater2024-08-24 09:49

    Sent you a message.

  11. #11Vetech632024-08-24 10:10

    Your 23..............shouldn't you be partying and chasing tail?

  12. #12AristoTruckTech2024-08-24 11:28

    I've got my priorities set! There’s plenty of time for that, but right now, I’m focused on building my future. Calls for tech support at 1 am on a Friday night do a good job of keeping me out of trouble lol.

  13. #13Vetech632024-08-24 11:50

    Trust me....ide raher be chasing tail myself. I tell the wife that and she just laughs hysterically.

  14. #14Truck Shop2024-08-24 12:59

    That's almost a little too positive.

  15. #15John_b2024-08-30 01:11

    Nexiq usblink covers most of the oem software's that is on the market currently for American and Europeans Trucks but you would have to purchase cables separately for some brand specific and also a little tweaking for the software's to accommodate a successful connections. However we are seeing alot of Trucks from Aisa with similar engines to those countries i mentioned earlier. The future is looking bright. Just stay far from fake tools and all will be well.

  16. #16AristoTruckTech2024-08-31 09:08

    Custom off-road package delivered to a customer in Nashville Tennessee. They got: Allison Doc CASE New Holland Cat ET Cat SIS Cummins Calterm Cummins Insite Detroit Diagnostic Link John Deere JPRO Komatsu Volvo

  17. #17jvbarros2024-10-09 15:39

    I need some help to define which diagnostic tools I will get.. Construction company here, we have a large fleet of CAT, John Deere, New Hollands, Ford pickups/Medium trucks and Kenworth equipment (A few strays in the pack: a Komatsu, a Takeuchi and a GMC). Currently our mechanic has his own JPRO license for more basic diagnostics, but we want to get our own diagnostics laptop, and hopefully be able to do DPF, Regen, ECM flush and diagnostics as well. First thing we got was the CAT ET with the CAT adapter, but now i need to figure out what will be the best to cover most basis. We were looking at possibly getting the Cummins INSITE, and looking at either Autel or JPro. Any suggestions on what diagnostic tools we could get?

  18. #18AristoTruckTech2024-10-09 18:54

    Sent you a PM! I provide 24/7 tech support.

  19. #19B&B2024-11-01 00:11

    I bought the harbor freight hd scan tool for this. Had one truck I had to scan so I didn't want to buy a more expensive one. It reads codes and live data, takes a couple trued to get the right live data but it did work in the end