I am trying to get in to the industry and i have Starting checking out schools and i applied to A.T.S (associated training services) and i got accepted but i want to know more info about the training for a operator. What types of schools? what cerdifications? What schools are better then others? Has anyone been through the ATS program? What schooling have you guys done? I'm just asking these questions so i know the best options that are out there and what the Employers are looking for? thank you John
I may be speaking out of school, but Ive been lurking around this site for a while and guess its time to speak up a bit. When I put an ad out for a driver or an operator (usually someone with both qual), I go thru the resumes and when I see someone has virtually no experience, but have been to a shake and bake school, I usually skip that person. I understand the whole 'how do I get experience if you wont hire me' argument, but, my opinion is that if you want to be the best operator or truck driver, then start as a shovel pusher. work you way up, you learn a hell of a lot more. I just hired a guy who wasnt as qualified on paper, but came up working for his dad running equipment and pushing a shovel. I chose him over a 20 year union guy (who flat out told me he wasnt interested in a CDL) and a bunch of laid off school graduates. Your Mileage May Vary.
One of the best grader operator's I worked with started on a shovel, water wagon, roller, loader. BMT
I went to the best heavy equipment school anyone can get into the USMC. I came out with alot of operating experience. Right away I was thrown on road jobs handeling trucks, grades, utilities. To be honest my operating experience wasnt up to par because it wasn't the type of on the job training that was needed. It took me a few years to actually feel comfortable in the seat. The last few years everything slowed down so we pulled other duties like undergound, punchlists, even paving. I can finally say I'm getting it. Just operating equipment perfectly means nothing its just a tool to produce a final product. Schools if you can afford it will give you a nice base to start as a laborer and work yourself up.
Look into Pennsylvania College of Technology that is where I went
Are you aware that Caterpillar offers training classes for Machine Operators? It is not cheap. One Manufacturer whom will remain anonymous (Not CAT) told me that on their Off-Road Haul Trucks, they discovered that 60% of their warranty cost was Operator Caused! (I imagine they have changed their warranty policies) If this is the cost during the short warranty period, What is the cost over the rest of 5,6,7 or so years of ownership caused by poorly trained operators? The goal of this program is to familiarize the attendees with Caterpillar construction equipment. Individual courses available include: Operator Safety Machine Operation Applications Capabilities Limitations, Preventive Maintenance Service Schedules, Backhoe Loaders, Compact Equipment, Track-Type Tractors, Hydraulic Excavators, AccuGrade Machine Control Systems Virtual Training Simulators, Wheel Loaders, Motor Graders, Hydraulic Excavators, and Off-Highway Trucks. See http://www.cat.com/training for more info,
I just looked at the operator training that Volvo offers. It also looks good with both instructor led and simulator use. Also their Road Institute looks interesting. See http://www.volvo.com/constructionequipment/na/en-us/training/introduction.htm
I'm going to a community college for their heavy equipment program. It is waaaaaaaaay cheaper then anything else I've found out there. It's only 1 school year and you get a certificate. They also say they have a 97% job placement and the big companies around here come and watch us every once in awhile and talk with our instructors. We are currently a couple weeks into the current semester. We have 19 people in the class, we don't quite have 19 pieces of equipment (some of it is still being wrenched on) but when you aren't operating there's always something that needs to be fixed. We have 3 bulldozer's, 3 loader's, 1 grader (it's in my avatar), 6 dump trucks, 3 backhoes, 2 excavators ect. Tue-Thur (7-4) we are out on the pit which is owned by a wildlife conservation site that let's us use it because we maintain many many miles of road on that site and provide them with material. We were out operating the second day of class and will split the class and get jobs sometime next week. They teach you how to maintain the equipment and do minor repairs also how to be safe, safety is the #1 thing. Second semester the class gets split between who wants to be an Operator or a Mechanic. The school is in Maine, lucky for me because it is only 3 hours away from where I originally lived. But they have apartment like dorms that you live in on campus. The only thing is it's college and you do have to take extra things besides the HEO courses like a math, an english, OSHA, and vehicular electronics (we even get 8 hours of MSHA). Things like that. It's a small school but I love it here. Look into it when you get a chance it will save you $$$ for sure. The school website. http://www.wccc.me.edu/ Page on the HEO program. The page really doesn't do the program enough justice it really is amazing what I've already learned here. http://www.wccc.me.edu/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=89&Itemid=94 Have anymore questions send me a PM! Edit: I looked into the Penn college of Tech and would have picked there but thought it was crazy how much it cost.
when i was right out of highschool i looked into going to "construction school" myself. i was almost to the point of deciding on some school in FL. i also called around and asked some questions from the local construction companys. they all said pretty much what danregan has said. it is better to start at the bottom as a shovel pusher and work your way up. not really what i wanted to hear at the time. the whole reason i wanted to go to "construction school" was so i could start out in the cab of an excavator or backhoe. not pushing a shovel working my way up. not that i was against hard work, i just was hoping i could start right away in the cab. i'm not saying you shouldn't do this schooling. just backing up what danregan said below.
Yes, taking the training is pricey to day and the training takes about 12 weeks to complete (depending on the course you will take). You need to complete also the NCCER certification, a requirements you need to have if you want to work in the construction, where you probably get the job. You can take a course in your nearest trade school or community college. You need to prepare some requirements when enrolling. By the way, dont commit mistake in choosing the best school. Here's a guide to help you choose the best school to take the training at: http://operatorhq.com/choosing-heavy-equipment-training-school Good luck on your journey!
I taught a introductory coarse for women, most were not into it, but a couple were good, school is only a start, nothing like real experience, school cant teach quarry or logging, mines ?, it all takes time and have the right attitude, not cocky, confident yes.
I third, fourth, whatever, has been said. I wouldn’t hire a guy just out of “operator” school without real experience. It’s much better to start on the bottom rung and work your way up. When you try to start in the middle of the ladder, you never really understand what those lower rungs are like, or how to make the job easier for those lower rungs. If you’re trustworthy and have a good work ethic, we’ll bend over backwards to make you happy and advance your career.
I went to the heavy equipment school. It was free at the time when my dad bought a new cat backhoe. It was basically a big showcase of equipment....you get about 12 hours in each machine. Nothing even close to what is required....my own dad didnt hire me for in the cab work....i got more machine time greasing everything than i did in school....i went from errand boy...to shovel guy....then got major promo to laser grade guy....eventually made it to loader guy....cat guy....then hoe guy....heck i am 46 now....and sometimes he lets me sit in grader...lol operators that havent been in the trenches...are just machine drivers.
Someone who knows almost nothing about how to go about the work we do but is willing to work, listen, and learn is FAR more valuable than someone who "already knows" how to do everything you need done but will not accept a task of "lower status". Most young applicants these days seem to have been trained to think the job owes them and have no comprehension whatsoever that every job is important to completing the project.
Being a grade guy is way underrated between that and water truck or hose guy you can learn so much about the work What most people miss in school is the eye for detail that comes from being on the ground if you can't check grade how can you hit grade in a machine What separates the men from the boys in the operator world is knowing what to do when the laser broke or the GPS wont dial in I was on a commercial job the other day the poor guys couldn't figure out how to make there own offsets of corners with 2 tape measures and they couldn't figure out finish floor cause there Trimble would get reception I got out my trusty peep sight and tape measure and figured out finish floor faster than they could get tech support on the phone This is why modern OPERATORS from school are not worth that high high wage they only know to sit in that one cab and nothing else
That is a true story AzIron...I get to do 0 of that anymore and haven't for sometime. Keep my eye level and engineer rule handy just in case. If I had to lay it out tomorrow start to finish, it would take me awhile. Somebody would probably have to come over and check my pulse cause I wasn't moving.