Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Helac PowerGrip

BrianHay ยท 2008-04-12 01:01

Does anyone have one of these? We have a Helac PowerTilt on our machine and love it. I think the PowerGrip would be a great attachment for our machine. http://www.helac.com/construction/powergrip.asp

Replies71
  1. #1joispoi2008-04-12 08:11

    It reminds me of a swiss army knife: well made, versatile, can perform numerous tasks, but is not the best suited tool for each said task. When would it be more productive than a thumb or a gapple?

  2. #2AtlasRob2008-04-12 08:29

    Mmmm! When you haven't got either of the other two Seriously,...... I would not have a thumb fitted on my machine. As stated in a previous thread they dont seem to have hit our shores yet :beatsme. but I am seriously considering the purchase of a grapple or pallet forks ? Now I am wondering !!!!!!! I see great potential for a 30" one of those on MY machine. I wonder how much it would cost in the UK.

  3. #3d4c24a2008-04-12 13:47

    grab john i can remember seeing a 1 ft bucket advertised by jcb in the late 70,s to be fitted on a 3c ,i think they called it a grab john.. cheers graham

  4. #4wildy2008-04-12 13:53

    could get a 4 i n 1 bucket for your 3cx once upon a time, so i heard?

  5. #5Nac2008-04-12 16:03

    A local sidewalk and curb guy has one on a John Deere backhoe. I watch it work it was great for loading rip up curb and side walk into a truck.

  6. #6nedly052008-04-12 16:13

    any idea what one costs, I have looked at them quite a bit you could eliminate the need for a couple of attachments with one.

  7. #7Turbo218352008-04-12 17:00

    I can see the obvious upside to one of these. Then again, working around track loaders with a 4 in 1 bucket i can see a downside. It seems like it may be easy to bend side with the teeth. You grab something the wrong way, or get into something unknown. I know we had to replace the upper jaw of our 4 in 1s. We would usually have to do 1 or 2 buckets a year. With 15 or so 963s and 953s that doesnt seem like much. Then again, thats one expensive repair, with a good bit of downtime and lead time for parts

  8. #8BrianHay2008-04-14 12:31

    I think we are going to make one our next investment a.s.a.p. The first thing almost everyone asks me is if I have a thumb. Can you guys see any disadvantages it would have compared to a thumb? I have never really used ether. I'm looking into the cost and will let you guys know what I find out.

  9. #9AtlasRob2008-04-14 13:09

    Yes, now you mention it. I thought it was familiar, just a long time ago Still can wildy, I tend to think of it as standard kit now, especially for an owner operator. This one arrived with the new 08 plate ( no its not mine ) Hi Brian, sorry about the truck Better luck with the new model. What width bucket do you think you will go for ? Which ever one it is, you do realise its the other you should have bought :Banghead I will be watching and waiting on feedback, I think it will be a good investment. Man I love spending other peoples money Good luck :thumbsup

  10. #10BrianHay2008-04-14 14:20

    Sure am happy about the new truck, we got a great deal. I was thinking 24" PowerTilt. Our digging bucket we have now is 36" and cleanup is 48. So the 24" would go well with them....wide open to thoughts/input on that.

  11. #11wildy2008-04-14 17:09

    yes i agree about the front, standard fit, but a friend of mine said he had one mounted on the backhoe...

  12. #12AtlasRob2008-04-16 11:39

    Sorry wildy, I completely miss understood what you were saying. As d4c24a suggests, somebody ( he thinks JCB ) did have something very similar a good few years ago. So your friend is probably correct. Now attachments are becoming a growth industry in themselves maybe they will become more widely available. As for them getting twisted......... keep em off the rental fleets some people could break a cannon ball :cool2

  13. #13BrianHay2008-04-18 14:58

    Well I'm getting closer to being able to order one, the payout from our truck is going straight towards a PowerGrip. Kaiser wants around 25g for a grapple, I can get a PowerGrip for under 10 from my local guy (Larry) only a block away. Inland Kenworth I told him about them and he is going to become a dealer. I'm really torn between getting a 24 inch or 30 inch :beatsme Twisting is a very good point especially for the way I will be using it. ..I think it would be wise for me to use it with the jaw open when I'm 'walking'. Especially when I have the full weight of the machine on it on steep slopes. It would be nice to have the teeth digging in but I walk on the slopes just fine with the cleanup bucket on so it shouldn't be much different.

  14. #14AtlasRob2008-04-18 15:37

    size does matter UM! not too sure on that Brian. I would expect it to be strongest closed. The only time I would be concerned about twisting it would be when grabbing a rock or log or similar toooo tight when its not in the jaw straight. But to be honest I think you have enough operating experience to be aware of that :drinkup As for the size :beatsme as I said earlier, whichever one you get it will be the other that you wished you had got :bash The only thing I can suggest is you have a serious thought as to what you will use it for. Me, I would buy the 30", small enough to grab, pegs, pins, lengths of H beam, rebar etc big enough to grab a good size root, log, pile of rebar, brushwood, rock. Good luck. nice result on the truck :thumbsup

  15. #15BrianHay2008-04-18 16:09

    Tuff call on the twisting eh. My thoughts were that with it open all the way it's like a bucket and thumb. All the pressure/weight would be on the bucket and none on the thumb and hinges as it would be up out of the way? Have you had a look at my homepage lately Rob? I did a bunch more work to it again, think it looks much better now. You may have to hit refresh to see the recent changes and not the old cached page.

  16. #16AtlasRob2008-05-08 12:36

    new bucket Hi Brian, I remembered reading this and forgot to have a look sorry Wicked, really impressive, what more can I say :drinkup and I see you have ordered a bucket. What size have you gone for? Following this thread I priced one in the UK put mildly it would be more cost effective for me to fit a rotating head ! We wont go there ! Looking at your picture updates :notworthy have you at any time forgotten how high up you are and done a double take while about to exit the cab

  17. #17BrianHay2008-05-09 00:35

    Thanks Rob :drinkup I ordered the 30 inch PowerGrip They are made right next door to me so the cost is reasonable to get one here. It was a tuff call on the size but I think that will work well for us. I have work for it as soon as it gets here....I have lots of work now. I have booked a new project every day for the last week :woohoo and there is an exhibition this weekend that I put the Spyder in. I'm sure I'll be booking a few there. That's a cool picture between the houses eh. With my legs pulled all the way in and the claw plates in front of me I was too far back from the edge to see what I was trimming. So I stood up and had a great view then. I have gone to hop out a few times and done a double take but worse is when you go to get back in and realize how high it is to climb back up

  18. #18Deas Plant2008-05-10 07:05

    Power-Grip bucket Hi, Brian. So long as your machine will handle it, I'd have gone for the 30" version too. We had a ram-actuated 4-in-1 bucket on a 20-ton Kobelco several years ago. We bought the machine with the bucket fitted and it was plumbed for a hammer too. Trouble was, they'd only fitted ONE extra pressure relief valve and set it at hammer pressures and it wouldn't hold the bucket closed under any sort of load. On top of that, the bucket was built the opposite way from that Helac bucket with the head on the body of the bucket and the rear of the bucket opening out. It was good for emptying in a hurry but not so flash when you were digging as the pressure of the incoming material would force the back of the bucket to open. We fixed it by putting a second pressure relief valve in the circuit and running the 4-in-1 bucket plumbing through that instead of through the hammer relief valve. Once that was sorted out, it was a VERY useful piece of gear. Just looking at the brochure, it appears that the front of the bucket locks around the rear part when closed and so it is supported against twisting in that position. I think I'd be doing any 'handstands' in that position if at all possible. As for twisting when 'clamming', that is gonna be largely an operator awareness thing. About the only obvious problem I can see from the brochure is the possibility of hitting the back face of the dipper arm with the teeth of the bucket when open if it is crowded around too far. That couldn't happen with the rear-opening 4-in-1 that we had but again it boils down to operator awareness. Best of luck with yours and I hope it exceeds your hopes and expectations. Pics and updates, please.

  19. #19dayexco2008-05-10 11:44

    here's something you may be interested in...so far, price seems right. http://www.govdeals.com/eas/itmDisplay.cfm?itemID=123&acctID=379

  20. #20BrianHay2008-05-13 05:00

    It should handle it well eh Deas. My Kaiser guy told me it's to heavy and I should have went with the 24". I pointed out that there is only 80 pounds difference. To that he said it's not the weight of the bucket it's the weight of the capacity that it can hold. So I pointed out it doesn't have near the capacity my 36" digging bucket Kaiser sent me has and it handles that no prob....? He didn't have an answer and changed the subject. I don't think he was happy I went somewhere else. I just heard today from the guys I was ordering it from (Inland Kenworth - Parker Pacific) that it will be a four to six week wait for it. Helac builds the actuators and someone else builds the bucket with it on. The guys that they have build them are swamped so tomorrow I'm going to see if I can find someone local capable of building it for me if they send the actuator and plans....should be interesting eh. It could turn out to be a good gig for whoever builds it for me as I'm sure if they do a good job mine wont be the only one they build. That is a good price eh Day, to bad I'm not ready to buy my next machine yet. If it wasn't in an auction I would call and see if they would sell the grapple separate.

  21. #21BrianHay2008-05-15 00:27

    Well I checked it all out and...I'm going to wait for it. I can't get it built much faster local and it would cost way more so it's not worth it.

  22. #22Deas Plant2008-05-15 07:18

    Long wait equals busy firms?????????????? Hi, Brian. If that long wait is any indication, there must be a bit of work going on around your way in the engineering/manufacturing sector. That is usually a good sign with regard to the general economy.

  23. #23BrianHay2008-05-15 19:15

    Hi Deas, It's coming from Washington, not sure what it's like there but I don't imagine much different then here as it is not far away. Were I am at I feel very fortunate to be here. Everywhere I look there is new construction and opportunity for anyone ambitious enough to go after it. Now that things have started rolling I'm taking off and growing fast. I already need subs but am having a hard time finding any, everyone is booked up.

  24. #24Deas Plant2008-05-16 08:26

    Needing subs. Hi, Brian. Best of luck with finding subs. Trouble with that is that pretty much anyone worth hiring or having as a sub is already busy with their own work. My boss has been looking for 2 track loader operators with 4-in-1 bucket and house pad experience for about 5 months now. The job has a good pay rate and comes with company pick-up, cell phone and fuel card, 4 weeks annual leave and all public holidays paid, sick pay, superannuation and long service leave. We are almost exclusively cutting/filling/levelling house sites prior to building to +/- 1/2"-3/4" tolerance with laser monitoring on the machines, NOT laser controlled. He has not exactly been swamped with enquiries, let alone from anybody worth considering. I've been working with an owner-operator on a Komatsu PC138US excavator for most of the last week. I can load trucks faster and smoother in soft ground with a Cat 943 than he can with his excavator and his cutting of levels leaves a little to be desired too. Fortunately, he is not on hire to our company. Both of us are on hire to the owner of the property where we are working - or at last where he WAS working. The boss lady (property owner) told me tonight as I finished for the day that he would not be back on Monday, that I was going to be finishing the job off. Just as a side issue to this situation, yesterday this owner-operator was loading 2 hired trucks and both truck drivers - owner-drivers - were complaining that he was over-loading them. Neither of them clued in the whole day to the fact that they DIDN'T HAVE to stay there for him to put the last bucket or two on them, that they could have pulled out from under him when THEY reckoned they had enough instead of waiting for his signal. DUH?

  25. #25Goat2008-05-16 11:51

    JCB used to offer what was called a "Clamshell" bucket for the excavator of the 3CX. Gripping power was good, like it would be for a PowerGrip. The hydraulic technology on the PowerGrip is great. The only thing to consider is the additional weight on the bucket cylinder. This will reduce capacity. When you use a thumb it does not affect the bucket cylinder, just the boom and stick. I think that a good 24" and a thumb, either rigid or hydraulic, is a better package. Just my thoughts.

  26. #26Deas Plant2008-05-16 18:04

    Thumbs. Hi, Goat. I have no doubt that you have your reasons for preferring a thumb over a 4-in-1 style bucket but have you ever tried clamming up dirt with a thumb? The d****d stuff just won't seem to play ball for some reason. I'd go along with you if clearing and handling rocks was ALL you ever wanted to with it. How-wevver, as soon as you add needing to clam up dirt - or crushed rock, or gravel or sand - to the equation, it takes on a whole new dimension and a 4-in-1 style bucket is the only way to fly, at least in my humble estimation.

  27. #27BrianHay2008-05-17 14:30

    Finding the subs is quite a challenge for sure, everyone is busy. I have access to almost any machine I would need but I never thought I would need the subs I do. I need a carpenter, someone to lay paving stones and sod. The weight issue is something I put a lot of thought into before deciding on the PowerGrip. For me it is more important then most. When I'm on steep slopes as I'm sure you can imagine, the less weight I have out in front of me the better. It may put slightly more weight on the cylinder but not much. Overall weight is significantly less being there is no extra cylinder, and the bucket itself is the thumb. The only real extra weight is the actuator, not sure what it weighs but not much. As for size it was hard to decide between 24 or 30 inch. My digging bucket is 36 inch and it handles it no problem. So I figured the 30 would be a nice balance between capacity and light weight.

  28. #28crowbar2008-05-19 15:20

    looks a fantastic bit of kit:notworthy

  29. #29BrianHay2008-07-19 23:25

    I got it! Well it finally got here and I have worked it for a few days now building a rock wall with large granite boulders. Wow am I ever impressed, I love it! Having this thing will really open a lot of doors for us and allow us to do a lot more work in a shorter time frame.

  30. #30Deas Plant2008-07-20 00:20

    The jigger arrived. Hi, Brian. Great stuff. Thanks for the photos. I hope it lives up to all your expectations. Please keep us posted.

  31. #31stumpjumper832008-07-20 10:18

    WIth your wrist-o-wrist, that might actually be better than a thumb cause its always square to the rest of the bucket. As well, it is a great option it you have an extenda hoe. It look like it has some strenght to its claming. The one thing I can see a thumb would have over it is that a thumb has a larger opening, I think. But as Deas said, try using a thumb to load dirt... Looks great Brian, keep us informed on how its doing.

  32. #32AtlasRob2008-07-20 14:07

    Great result Brian :drinkup looks like it was worth the wait :Banghead. Hope it is all you hope it too be, you definetely have the machine to get the best out of an attachment like that. Keep us posted on how it goes and good luck going forward. :thumbsup

  33. #33VeePlow2008-07-23 14:20

    We just built one of these odd-ducks Here's some pics "in the nude"

  34. #34Shantull EXC2008-07-28 05:31

    Hey guys I have a helac tilt on my 312DL and love it but in saying that its only new so give it a few thousand hours and see how it goes

  35. #35MDD2008-07-28 08:43

    Nice attachment, but compared to a good thumb, you would not be able to grab near as much with this bucket as you could with a thumb. A thumb will definitly have a larger opening.

  36. #36Deas Plant2008-07-28 09:47

    Not pick up as much. Hi, MDD. Respectfully, I don't see how you can really compare the two attachments. A thumb is made for handling OBJECTS. The Helac Power-Grip is made for working with dirt. Now you just might have a little difficulty picking up the last little crumbs of dirt with a thumb while such a task would be no trouble at all to the Power-Grip. On the other hand, the Power-Grip looks to me as if it would be well and truly capable of 'trespassing' on a thumb's turf, even if it isn't able to pick objects as large as a thumb will pick up. Just in case you have doubts about the above, I HAVE used both a thumb and an opening bucket, although not a Power-Grip. Both have their places and both add a LOT to the versatility of an excavator. Ideally, it would be nice to have both in one's 'arsenal' of 'weapons'. However, if I had to choose one or the other, I think I'd go the same way that Brian has gone. Just my 0.02.

  37. #37MDD2008-07-28 18:30

    Not me. If I had to choose, it would be a thumb hands down. We have quick couplers and lots of different buckets. It is nice to swich on the 24 inch bucket and use the thumb, then throw on a 60 inch bucket and still use the thumb and so on. Dont get me wrong, I like the attachment and only compared to two because that is what he asked. I'd like to have that bucket on a mini excavator. but my guess is that bucket is prob. more than a thumb. am I right? As far as getting that last bit of dirt goes. seems you may need a little more time behind the controls.

  38. #38Deas Plant2008-07-29 04:03

    More time behind the controls????????????????? Hello, MDD. Oh? How much more would you suggest?

  39. #39BrianHay2008-07-29 05:11

    Hey Veeplow too bad I didn't know about you sooner, I would have had you build ours. Not that the one we have wasn't built well, it was. But it just would have been much easier to have it built in Canada. Oh well, now I know for the next machine eh :drinkup Weight issues: This is large for me and in part why I went with the PowerGrip. There is more weight for the bucket cylinder to handle no doubt but nothing it can't handle and over all weight is arguably less. The bucket itself is the thumb so there is no extra weight there, just the extra weight of the actuator which I can't see being any more then what the cylinder for the thumb would be....maybe even less, it's not very big. Size of object it can pick: The pictures I posted don't show it open all the way. As Deas pointed out earlier I have to be careful not to put my bucket teeth into the stick when open all the way. A thumb would only have a mater of inches on the the PowerGrip....I cant think of anything a thumb would pick that I can't. I have a pile of limbs on site from a yellow cedar about 2 foot at the butt I pushed over yesterday...got video of it, need to make a youtube account so I can post it. I will grab a handful of the limbs tomorrow and take a picture for you guys to show what it will grab. I should have taken video of ripping the stump apart too. In about five minutes I reduced the stump to nothing. I picked it up, shook the dirt out of it and then ripped it apart. The power this thing has is impressive. I have it running at about 3400 psi when it's closing (can't remember exact power but it is set to speck). If anyone is interested I will scan the book. And that is a constant power throughout the full range of motion. I wasn't going to post this picture because it shows me abusing my machine which rarely happens, she is very loved. But sometimes you just gotta get er done and this was the only place I could get a really good grip on this boulder. The picture really shows off the clamping power of this attachment though. Really shows off the power of the machine too. With the boulder, PowerGrip and PowerTilt that's a solid 5000 pounds out there and she didn't even grunt. When I set it were it had to go I was at near full extension and it had no problem with that. Clamping dirt: Well as far as that goes until I got this I had nothing to say about that because I have never worked with an attachment capable of doing that before. I can get the last bit of dirt without being able too clamp it no prob. But with it, it is much easier and faster and time IS money so...yah it works great. And heaped capacity is .39 yards which is not bad for a dig bucket on a machine that only weighs 18,500 pounds, it will move a lot o dirt in a hurry. My other dig bucket is is .50 yards. Hey Shantull I have no idea how many hours are on my PowerTilt but I got it used and the model I have became obsolete 6 years ago and it's still good as new so I'm sure yours will do you well for a long time.

  40. #40BrianHay2008-07-29 06:47

    Here is a couple shots of the first project I did with it. The lower wall was existing, I built the wall above the planters with granite boulders and laid the sod on both levels. The boulder in the above post was not part of the wall. It was already there and didn't match the granite so I got rid of it.

  41. #41MDD2008-07-29 17:54

    What else are you having problems with? :notworthy

  42. #42Deas Plant2008-07-30 07:20

    When you assume..................................... Hello, MDD. When you assume....................................................... It would appear that you are making an assumption here, that you suspect that I might need a little more practice on an excavator simply because I said that an opening bucket made it a LOT easier to pick up the last crumbs of dirt. May I suggest that you read Brian's comment on this. Now I don't claim to be the world's best excavator operator, never have and never will. I don't spend enough time on them for that. How-wevver, there have been a couple of times in my 'brief' career when I have made 'the world's best excavator operator' look a little slow - or silly - or both. (I think they must have held some sort of championships somewhere each year for about the last 180 years because I have met a few of them.) I have dug trench, back-filled trench and other excavations, used compactor wheels, trimmed batters and floors, bulk-loaded, boxed out roads, cleared trees and scrub, levelled house sites to +/- 3/4", demolished buildings, hammered rock and concrete, processed scrap metal, dug holes in frozen ground (You may note that I live in DownUnder. There was NO snow or ice on the ground where/when I dug the holes in the frozen ground.) used hydraulic shears and pulverisers on excavators, ripped, built rock walls, used a continuous miner head and various grapples, cut trees up for mulching and a few other jobs, all with hydraulic excavators, AND picked up the last few crumbs of dirt on a site, both with a normal bucket and with an opening bucket. I KNOW which way is easier. Now how much more practice do I need?

  43. #43Dogger2008-07-30 07:38

    Dug in frozen ground in QLD?

  44. #44Deas Plant2008-07-30 07:43

    Thort that'd getta bite. Hi, Dogger. Not in sunny Qld but not quite in Tassie either. Newcastle, to be a little more precise. If you're a real good kid, I may tell you about it someday. LOL.

  45. #45MDD2008-07-30 08:08

    Deas Plant, im not sure who your trying to impress, but your experience does not impress me one bit. If you feel you need to talk so much about it, I doubt you are worth a cr@p in the real world. Considering I dont know you at all, my comment about you needing a little more time behind the controls was more just poking fun at you, hence the smile at the end.

  46. #46Deas Plant2008-07-30 08:51

    Not impressed. Hello, MDD. It really doesn't concern me in the slightest if you are impressed or not. I could care less but I'd have to work at it and I don't care enough for that. I KNOW what I have done and what I can do and that is all that concerns me. I posted my comments on Brian's new toy and you made an inane suggestion in response, smiley or no smiley. I asked a question in response to your suggestion and got a question back from you. From what I posted in reply, does it look like I am having problems with anything much - except maybe my ego? I come to this and other forums to help people because I can't see any sense in taking 40 plus years of experience to the grave with me when some of it might be of some use to others with less experience. Maybe some of what I have learned might stop the need for somebody else to learn the same thing the hard way. Even if it only helps to stop some skinned knuckles or bruised egos, I consider the time and effort taken to share it worthwhile. Why are you here?

  47. #47MDD2008-07-30 09:26

    People like you DeasPlant, are a waste of time. You know it all and arnt happy unless everyone thinks your special. It was you that started this crap. Its me thats gonna finish it. go ahead and argue with yourself on this one big guy. Im out of this topic.

  48. #48Deas Plant2008-07-30 09:29

    'Bye. 'Bye.

  49. #49Deas Plant2008-08-02 11:27

    Digging a hole in frozen ground. Hi Dogger. You asked how I had got to dig a hole in frozen ground in Queensland. I replied that it was in Newcastle. It was actually in the Tomago aluminium smelter at Tomago. They wanted a 13 metre deep hole in the casting shed for a new extrusion pit. The ground there is all running sand with a moving water table, courtesy of the nearby Hunter River. The piers of the shed also carry the tracks for the overhead gantry cranes. If one of them had moved, the repair bill would have started at around $2 mill. in 1989 prices. So, rather than take a chance on sand seeping through sheet piling and weaking the foundations of those piers, they froze the ground in the excavation area and for 5 metres all round it and we dug the hole out of the frozen sand. Two freezer units were used to pump a chilled brine solution through double-walled pipes to freeze the ground. One unit would have effectively done the job, the second was back-up in case of failure. We used a Kato 1880 mark 2 excavator with a 15 metre front on it, a continuous miner head to loosen up the frozen sand and a normal 900mm digging bucket from a Kato 880 excavator on the end of the 15 metre front to load the loosened material out. We had to dig the hole 50 mm (2") oversize to allow for the amount the ice would grow while they were putting the reinforcing steel and the formwork up ready to pour the concrete - surveyors checked the hole twice a day. It was 'different' wearing shorts and short-sleeved shirts while digging in frozen ground. The whole job was done inside the casting shed and took around 2 weeks with 2 x 12-hour shifts.

  50. #50Dogger2008-08-07 23:17

    Hi Deas plant not familiar with that part ot the country only working in rural and metro sth Australia (yes im a crow eater). I bet the form workers were happy that day. Was there a excisting pit?

  51. #51Dogger2008-08-07 23:36

    By the way MDD People like Deas plant make this forum what it is today you cant buy that knowledge these old school dirtman have. Im sure this forum is ment for all to have a good yarn about experiances we have all had. I personly enjoy old tales about the game and i sure enjoy deas presents on this site were would it be with out him. I stop spending money on magazines thanks to this site. any ways my 2 bob for today.

  52. #52Deas Plant2008-08-08 03:41

    Existing hole????? Hi, Dogger. No, there was no existing hole. They had to cut a hole in the concrete floor of the shed to start with and then install the double-walled spears for the chilled brine solution and freeze the whole area for at least 5 metres all round where the hole was going to be before we even arrived on site. Then we started from scratch, digging the hole out of the frozen sand. It was 'edumackayshunnal'. I'm glad I wasn't a formworker or steel fixer on that one. Thank you for the kind words directed at MDD. I'd guess he has either a rather thin skin or a pretty low tolerance level, maybe both. Might have missed out on a sense of humour too. Nevertheless, if he chooses to stay away, he will be the loser. I've passed through S.A. once, coming east from W.A. and flown over it a few times but never stopped anywhere there for longer than about 2 hours. Didn't like the whistling noise the crows made as they flew backwards to keep the dust out of their eyes. LOL.

  53. #53MKTEF2008-08-08 15:50

    Awake from your nap now deas? Freezing is not a new game i hear. 10 years ago our Road departement was constructing a tunnel under one of the fjords south of Oslo. At the deepest point they found clay, not so funny when u are down there working and have 600 feet of sea-water above clay that wants to come into your tunnel... They widened the tunnel all around, and drilled trough the clay and into a similar room on the other side... We are talking about around 200-300 feet.... Runned freezing pipes trough the clay and froze it. Then digged out the clay in the middle and made a inner concrete wall against the clay. Pulled out the freezing lines and plugged the holes...:cool2 Have to say that this tunnel has had some problems with water pressing its way into the tunnel, and the drainige pumps not working properly. They are calculating on a amount of leakage and have installed drainige pumps.. Not nice to the drivers when u come early in the morning, down the slope u go, and uups there is a big pool on the lowest point...

  54. #54stumpjumper832008-08-08 17:10

    Not to turn this into a mud match, and not that deas needs any defense but MDD... Deas has prolly forgot more information that most know, and most includes both you and me. Do a search on his posts and see how much he knows about old equipment, or new equipment. Now as for if the clamping action helps load stuff faster. Take a jar of peas, and put them on a flat plate, and move the peas back into the jar using one spoon. Thats a standard bucket on a standard excavator. Time yourself!! Next, use a second spoon to help load the first spoon in a claming action, Time that as well. I'll bet you will find no matter how good you are with one spoon the second one will cut your time by a third....

  55. #55Deas Plant2008-08-09 00:41

    Not new. Hi, MKTEF. I know the method of freezing the ground to improve soil stability is not new. The job I mentioned above was around 1989 and that was, I think, the second time the method had been used in Australia, the first time being in Dogger's home state, South Australia, a year or two earlier, around 20 years ago. Cheez, I must be nearly fossilized. Stumpjumper83, that is an interesting analogy. Thank you for sharing.

  56. #56Dogger2008-08-09 02:14

    Hi Deasplant, any idea on what site they used this freezing methord in South Aust?

  57. #57Deas Plant2008-08-09 04:32

    Not a clue. Hi, Dogger. Sorry. I cain't help you with that one. I haven't a clue. And there's people who will agree with that. LOL.

  58. #58RocksnRoses2008-08-10 01:01

    Deas, I think you should come down and visit us more often, all that sun, surf and bikini clad women is ageing you prematurely.:drinkup Rn'R.

  59. #59stock2008-08-10 03:19

    Empty vessels make the most sound

  60. #60Deas Plant2008-08-10 03:48

    On visiting South Australia. Hi, Rn'R. I was rather fond of the view of South Australia that I had from 38,000 feet as I flew over to W.A. or back again. LOL. I would like to have a look at that murky blue puddle on top of that pimple on Mother Earth's countenance at Mount Gambier though. LOL. Hi, Stock. May I enquire as to where empty vessels snuck into the thread? I must have been asleep somewhere and missed it.

  61. #61stock2008-08-10 08:12

    need I say more same guy probably has mum still wiping his nose and other bits that a proctoligist usually examines

  62. #62BrianHay2008-08-10 13:20

    Enough! Can we put the little pissing match aside now and try to get back on topic please? I don't have any more pictures at the moment but here is something I'm sure will spark some relevant conversation. When it arrived I wanted some help installing it for the first time so that the pressures could be tested. That way if I have any problems with it I have proof it was done right and should have no problems with my warranty, what's your guys thoughts on this bill. Total parts: (Hoses and fittings) $119...plus an $84 parts recovery PP ? I supplied the quick couples myself that I got from Kaiser ($400) Total labor: $840 Total with tax and a few other misc charges: $1169.63 Is that awful steep to install two hoses and test the pressure or am I just not used to these big repair/maintenance bills yet? It's not even finished, the hoses still need to be routed properly.

  63. #63Deas Plant2008-08-11 05:34

    Expensive install or 'cheap' insurance. Hi, Brian. The idea sounds like good logic to me. Let's hope though that it does remain a slightly expensive install and not 'cheap' insurance. The 4-in-1 bucket that I used on an excavator was ram-operated and the rear of the bucket opened while the quick-hitch head was on the main body of the bucket. This meant that the rams had to be in good condition and have plenty of pressure to stop incoming material forcing the rear open when doing any sort of heavy digging. The way your Helac is designed totally eliminates that problem and the photos that you have posted so far show that it has good gripping power. One query, does using the Powergrip affect any of the other functions in any way or is it on a totally separate circuit? The 4-in-1 that I used was plumbed into the hammer circuit but had its own separate relief valve because of the differences in operating pressures between the hammer and the bucket. Happy PowerGripping.

  64. #64Squizzy246B2008-08-11 09:48

    Brian, awhile back we tested a hydraulic rotator of a Hiab crane on my mini: 1 x male & 1 x female Q/couplers 2 x hoses modified on rotator pressure check & Install $540 Aussie smackers

  65. #65BrianHay2008-08-11 13:45

    I have five auxiliary hydraulic lines Deas so I was able to give both the PowerGrip and PowerTilt their own circuits. I have the tilt as two buttons on my right joystick and the grip is my left peddle. So that's about $512 Canadian eh Squizzy. That's a lot closer to what I was expecting to see. The labor on this install was almost as much as the labor when I blew my main valve box and that was far more involved as I'm sure you can imagine.

  66. #66BrianHay2008-08-11 21:52

    I snapped a couple pictures today setting some posts in the ground as well as a few shots of it open all the way. At the widest part of the opening it is 41 inches.

  67. #67BrianHay2008-08-11 21:57

    A few more, the last couple were an after thought. I was already parked and decided to reach over and grab a handful of limbs.

  68. #68Deas Plant2008-08-12 06:45

    Do THAT with a normal thumb. Hi, Brian. THAT is one handy little jigger. Now I want to see any the thumb exponents pick up a post from the horizontal and stand it vertical as you have done in that first photo. Thanks for sharing.

  69. #69AtlasRob2008-08-12 16:02

    Awesome Brian, bloody awesome, obviously you are more than pleased with the new addition My email alert quoted you placing a couple of posts and I expected to see a couple of 5 ft posts not a limbless tree :drinkup

  70. #70BrianHay2008-08-13 12:29

    HaHa right on, glad you guys enjoyed those shot. I had fun doing it . Does anyone know what one of those would weigh? Machine handled them effortlessly.

  71. #71Deas Plant2008-08-14 03:59

    When's The Big Thumb matchup? LOL. Hi, Brian. Would you by some chance be looking forward to working alongside a thumb addict in the near future? If so, can we arrange a match. I would really love to see that, even if only on video. Great stuff, M8. Keep 'em comin'.