Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hello All

Southern Digger ยท 2008-05-02 20:01

Totally Noob here.. Howdee All From what I've read so far you guys are gonna be a big help to a Noob. I wanted to take a Heavy Equipment course years ago and didn't.. So now I'm having a mid life crisis and fulfilling my dreams..LOL Start on Mon. at out local Tech school and will learn Rubbered Tired BackHoe, TracHoe and skid steer.. My research says this is pointed towards county work, which is good for me.. It'll offer Steady work, Insurance, Holidays and so on.. In July will start CDL class, this should bring up my hourly rate a few dollars.. Once I complete this course a friend has 30 acres and he wants cleared, for his new home. This will also include roads in and ditches to be dug. He has agreed to furnish fuel and I get the experience on a large dozer.. YeeHaw!! Needless to say I'm stoked and ready for this change, as I've spent 20 years in a office. Now I can spend next 20+ outside and very happy fella..

Replies9
  1. #1AtlasRob2008-05-03 18:19

    Welcome aboard Souther Digger. I'll do the honours as our normal meeter and greeter is a bit tied up at the moment. 20yrs inside, you really need the outdoors good luck and welcome aboard as I said.

  2. #2ZAXIS2008-05-03 20:30

    Welcome Southern Digger, Congrats on your new career-you've come to the right place with any questions/advice you might encounter along your new career path. ZAXIS

  3. #3Southern Digger2008-05-07 06:33

    ty all for the Welcome, I've seen how much help you guys have been to others. First day in classroom videos and discussing Safety and pre op inspections. Second day I got to spend 6 hours on the cat 4160 and loved every minute of it.. :cool2 Today is the TracHoe for me, we're doing basic operation and some digging..

  4. #4euclid2008-05-07 08:03

    question Southern Digger: I've been out of the seat of a JD310 for twenty odd years but what are they teaching about points of reference when trenching? I used a trench for a guy off and on but was never the greatest but had fun. Are they using lazer pointer to keep you on track? Good luck, reckon being older you'll be smoother and more focused operator.

  5. #5Southern Digger2008-05-07 19:40

    Hello euclid, they haven't started with that section as of yet.. I can ask tomorrow to see what they have planned and lyk..

  6. #6Deere96702008-05-09 23:41

    Hold up! So what are ya saying here? Ive seen some youg guys that could operate ten times better then an old operater! Im not picking on the old guys, but just because someone is youg doesent mean that they are more likely to be jerky and un-focused

  7. #7euclid2008-05-10 07:37

    Well I was refering to me when I was running equipment. I was just digging never knew of any points of thinking of how to do good work I was 15 years old making 50 bucks a month. As I've gotten older and had a few opportunities to run equipment I see how I can improve myself though marks, or points of reference. I'm still pretty wired out and I'm in my 40's so it is here to stay but time has changed a bit. That is me and my best childhood friend back in 1985 I was loading. I was making 75 bucks a month doing what grown-up were doing for like 12~15 bucks a hour. Long story but I was learning the hard way.

  8. #8DenMech2008-05-20 08:59

    hello New to this , just saying hi

  9. #9Grinder082008-05-27 18:07

    New to this forum...Great topics everywhere...Take care