Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

HELP! Breaking snowplow cutting edge

mikey531 ยท 2009-01-11 14:49

I am not sure if this is the place for this but I need help. I use a L90E Volvo loader to plow. I have a 12 foot quick switch blade. When we plowed for the town I always used carbide edges on the streets with no problem. Now all I have is a couple of parking lots and about 1 1/2 miles of dirt road. My boss didn't want to put the carbide on as the dirt destroys them. We put an 8 inch tall steel cutting edge that we use on the trucks. So far I have broken 3 of them. Taken chunks right out of the steel. I have been not been speeding or abusing it. This afternoon I was plowing my dirt driveway and took out a chunk. I am lost.. I keep the loader frame low so I am pushing with the blade and not putting and down pressure on the plow. Any help or ideas ???? Thanks

Replies16
  1. #1special tool2009-01-11 14:53

    You are just breaking the weakest link, man. Those cutting edges are made to be used on a truck setup, WITH SPRING RELIEF. There is no relief on that loader for that poor cutting edge. Also consider the angle of attack angle between the truck and your loader....

  2. #2mikey5312009-01-11 14:57

    I forgot, old age... I do have a trip edge, it is mounted in three four foot sections. Each section can trip independently. As I have been sitting here thinking I am wondering now if the center part is tripping...

  3. #3special tool2009-01-11 15:06

    Well, jeez, you got me then. Something is wrong, like you said. Is all damage concentrated on one trip?

  4. #430 dirty years2009-01-11 15:17

    We have a JD 544 with quickhitch plow and I think the edge is 3/4 thick ( and yes a couple have been broke), normally run it on the casters a little off the ground so it doesn't catch manholes, cracks and concrete joints in the lot.

  5. #5mikey5312009-01-11 15:19

    pictures of plow I am going to try and post some pictures.

  6. #6Per Eriksson2009-01-11 15:35

    I'd say you just got a bad batch of steel, too brittle.

  7. #730 dirty years2009-01-11 15:54

    Try adding a set of casters to keep the edge off the ground as long as you run the plow level.

  8. #8Nac2009-01-11 15:57

    Are they plain steel or hardened? My first storm out with my truck I broke the cutting edge in about 6 pieces. It was a hardened edge it willlast longer but is brittle and will brake easy. Now i switched to standard edge just thicker and it is on it 3 storm without problem.

  9. #9John H2009-01-11 15:58

    I'm thinking the same thing. I run a L90 for the town next to me and don't have any trouble.:beatsme

  10. #10nedly052009-01-11 16:35

    If you are breaking the edge on one section all the time you may want to make sure that the trip edge for that section can actually trip, make sure that it hasnt set up on the pivot point.

  11. #11mikey5312009-01-11 16:52

    Now that I have thought about it it has been the same section I bet you guys are right I guess it isn't tripping that section ! I will check it tomorrow. and let you know. Thanks

  12. #12mikey5312009-01-12 20:11

    We discussed the options tonight and what was decided is we are going to put a 6 inch edge behind the 8 inch edge on the center section. I think this will help by not having 4 inches of unsupported edge hanging down. Now it will be only 2 or less as it wears down. I hope this will work.

  13. #13jmac2009-01-12 22:47

    I just got done replacing my truck plow edges for the 5th time. I used a hardened steel 1/2 thick edge that has now broken in 3 places and one place twice. I tried to weld pieces of new edge on and the hardened stell doesn't weld very well so it broke again, not at the weld but just past it. I have now replaced the two ends about 12" in and one center chunk about 12" of the edge with 1/2 mild steel welded to hardened steel and havn't had a problem yet, nock on wood. The hardened steel must be too brittle. Your photo is what mine looked like, PIA to cut square and repair if you don't replace the whole edge.

  14. #14mikey5312009-01-18 18:17

    We doubled the center section with 8 inch. So far so good .. plowed 4 times today

  15. #1530 dirty years2009-01-18 22:32

    I guess I have been lucky, I have just been snapping the bolts off on the cutting edge on my rig the edge has not broke yet.

  16. #16mikef872009-01-29 21:11

    Doubling up the cutting edges will help you big time. I do that to all my loaders and trucks. Knock on wood I haven't broken one since I've done that.