Hello I’m at my Witt’s end. My 580L only clicks once when I turn the key. I have new starter, hot battery and I check fuses and swapped around the relays. I even rolled the motor by hand an inch or so just grasping at straws. I put my battery charger on 200a (engine assist start) and still only a single click from the starter. All help is greatly appreciated
Connect your charger at the hot terminal on the starter and ground on a good clean place on engine or frame and give it a try. If it works replace your ground cable.
Ground issue most likely.
Yes sir, I did that as well. I should have mentioned that. Well, not exactly I connect both charger clamps to the starter hot & ground post. I’ll check the ground that connects to the starter. Thank you
is the forward/reverse lever in neutral…or else the neutral start relay circuit might have a problem….its easy to do…someone accidentally bumps it into gear
if i understood you right, you put power to the starter but still used the ignition to engage the starter so that safety neutral start circuit would still be in the way…..or for some reason the lever cannot go into neutral?….pull the fwd/rvs fuse and see if it helps?
Thanks for the input. The fwd/rev lever in is neutral. It was never in fwd or rev when it didn’t start. In the beginning I swapped the start, neutral and reverse relays with less important ones. No fuse for neutral switch. I have checked fuses with ohm meter and pulled to take a look. I have new relays on order. Gonna replace all 9
Great news I read on another forum a member opened the floor pan and found damaged wires. I opened the floor pan traced wiring one end to the other. It was a good learning experience. Initially I took my starter to O’Reilly’s and they tested the starter and found it bad so I bought a new one. Come to find out it was an $8 relay. Moral of my experience (which I know better) is to start with the simple and less costly parts when you’re chasing an unknown problem. Thank you to everyone who responded with info and advice.
Meh. Been thousands of high dolla hydraulic pumps been bought when it was a load check or something even easier, creating the problem. Now you have a new starter. Someone else calls it, (think resounding, echoing voice) PARTS CANNON!
what does it do when you jump right from the battery wire on the starter solenoid to the small terminal in the black cover on the solenoid, that eliminates all but the starter, battery and cables, just make sure it is out of gear and throttle at idle. make sure the ground cable on the machine in the battery box or where the ground cable fastens to the chassis is clean.