Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help identifying 977 model

koalamotorsport ยท 2013-04-16 23:09

Just bought this, and drove it home........ Even with a 3spd trans, it's not very fast...... Guy I bought it from thinks it's a 977H, but also thinks it's a 1969 model. My quick looksie on the web shows the 977H ended production around 1964. Thoughts? Thanks, Brett

Replies13
  1. #1PAcattech2013-04-16 23:19

    Its a 977H probably 53A serial number

  2. #2catman9772013-04-17 00:45

    Hi Guys it looks like an H there should be a tag down by the peddals with SN ect. I have a 977K. What a Horse!!

  3. #3koalamotorsport2013-04-17 13:00

    Thanks for the thoughts guys. No serial number by the pedals that I can find, nor a missing plate. I have several plates down there but all are instructional. I'll take another look around the machine to see what I can find. Brett

  4. #4hector gemme2013-04-17 17:13

    You should find the serie number on the rear stering cluch housing on left side

  5. #5Buckethead2013-04-17 20:55

    I definitely think it's a 977H.

  6. #6alan627b2013-04-19 01:30

    Powershift? It's an H. Direct drive.. 977 D or E (20A serial number). They look similar but the H was powershift only. Nice loader. Lever or pedal steer? Alan

  7. #7alan627b2013-04-19 01:35

    977E http://www.gerhartmachinery.com/caterpillar-977e-loader/ 977H http://www.google.com/search?q=Cat+...24,d.aWc&fp=139d131e8fdf6b09&biw=1346&bih=532 The D/E have that slotted radiator grille (usually) sometimes with headlight cut-outs, and the H has a grille with holes. Again, if it's powershift, it's an H, direct drive (stickshift) its a D or E series. You might have a look on the the left rear corner over the final drive and under the fuel tank. Might have to get a wire brush out if it's been painted many times or if the riveted tag is missing.. the numbers should be stamped into the frame itself even if the tag is gone. Hope this helps! Alan

  8. #8Rusted2013-04-19 03:46

    That's an H without a doubt,,,but are you sure about the 3 speed?, I've always been of the understanding that the 977H was the same as the 955H i..e a 2spd p/s with manual hi-lo range selector. However I've never been on a 977H so stand to be corrected.

  9. #9koalamotorsport2013-04-20 17:29

    Thanks for the info guys. I'll take it that it's an H, which means older than originally suggested. I will dig for the serial on the left final drive at a later date. Got work for the machine to do first. Rusted, it is a 2 spd power shift. Typo in my original post. After driving it more than a mile home, I wish it had a third speed, lol Alan627b, it's a pedal steer unit. Brett

  10. #10D6 Merv2013-04-21 02:41

    koala, its a 2spd powershift, but is a high low manuel shift lever too on lower right hand side from memory so is 4 gears altogether

  11. #11spitzair2013-04-21 22:40

    Have a look on the side of your engine. I don't remember for sure where the tag is on mine but I believe it's on the left side under the manifold, kinda in the middle. I agree with the others, definitely looks like a 977H. The serial number should start with 53A. I think they made them later than 64, my newer machine is a 64 and it is an early pedal steer, my 63 still has levers... Merv is correct, they have a High Low lever on the right side. I've tried high range on my machine but don't use it very much because the thing will rattle and shake itself to death. It does move along at a good pace in high range second gear though, as long as you're not going up any inclines... Enjoy it! I absolutely love mine.

  12. #12koalamotorsport2019-09-16 12:38

    Revisiting an old post with some confusing info. Possibly my machine is a Frankenstein. Found the serial number on the engine plate today, yes it took 6 years to get around looking for it...... The plate on the rear of the left brake housing is covered over with 1/2 steel plate as a part of the bracing for the FOPS/ROPS that was added at some point in it's life. No idea if the plate is still there but it will take a crane to check. Serial number on engine is 53A4727. What is interesting about that is the operators manual I have consistently lists 53A4797 as the cut off between lever steer and pedal steer. I also have a parts book that is for 53A3000 to 53A4796, that does not list pedals, only levers. Mine, 53A4727, has pedals..... Guessing the engine was swapped in at some point and my machine is actually a higher serial number.

  13. #13DMiller2019-09-16 14:56

    Loads of machines as pieces wore out got upgraded with parts machine's parts or downgraded by engine swaps. If is a Powershift not a floor stick with clutch is a H.