This engine is in a Ford CL65 Skid Steer. Just figured out that the engine in this unit is likely not the Shibaura U1004 that it originally came with. So what is it? Obviously a 4 cyl diesel. There's a casting mark on the left side of the block that says "S2". There's a serial number stamped into the right side of the block "P11061". Beyond that I can't really see any other identifying marks albeit it's a bit tight in there and hard to see. Link to album https://imgur.com/a/ke3KTFx
Look for numbers on the injection pump. Identify the pump and someone here, might be able to tell the engine it was made for.
That is a Perkins or Mazda engine (Mazda built some under license) Ford always liked Shibaura in little tractors but they liked Mazda in pickups so is there a chance this one is original? I have one of these that is a 3 liter in a generator here. For some other views of the engine I suspect it is see here:
Shibaura was somehow affiliated with Perkins as well. Here's a listing for an engine for a CL65 needing repairs. It's not much but maybe something looks similar? If not thepumpguysc might be able to tell you from the numbers on the injection pump. https://www.ebay.com/itm/shibaura-diesel-engine-parts-from-1984-ford-CL65-skidsteer-/321431829477
Yes, I should have thought of that considering it is one of the most common engines I see today. Shibaura 3 and 4 cylinder also called the Perkins 403 and 404. With the inclined inline injection pump in the block running on the camshaft. Got a broken one in my yard right now. But all the ones I know of are year 2000+, I am not sure when Perkins and Shibaura went in together. Also used in Cat equipment, the one with the oil pickup troubles. The one in this thread has no resemblance to these though.
Looking on net Shibaura has had a few deals with Perkins. It listed one concluding in 1985 but doesn't say when it was first initiated. http://www.ihi-shibaura.com/english/aboutus/history.html
Well that would be around the right time frame and this kind of engine was what Perkins was making/licensing at the time so it could very well be Shibaura built.
There is a flat spot on the inj. pump that has all the id numbers for the pump.. Get those #'s & plug'm into floogle & see whatcha get or post them here.. The pump looks like one of the thousands I built for a "Mazda or Isuzu" engine.
I figured it out. It's actually a Mazda S2 Engine (hence the 'S2' on the block). This was apparently built off a Perkins license and is nearly identical to the Perkins 4.135. It got put in 80s era Mazda B2200 trucks and 2.2L Diesel Ford Rangers. Nearly certain it came off the Ranger. So now I've just got to find a service manual for the Perkins engine or else the 84 ford ranger. I'm hopeful that parts will be far more available than the Shibaura engine that it came with.
BTW: Thanks everyone for your help. I never would have been able to track this down without your insights!
I'll split the money w/ BV.. actually HE was 1st..