The JCB Solenoid post by Brian Bobb inspired me to write about my recent experience with JCB solenoid coils on hydraulic valves. My ripper little 1CX recently stopped due to a blown fuse in the brake circuit. I traced the problem to a short circuit solenoid coil on the PMS (Power Management System) valve (also called a Combination Valve). I should mention this is a series 2 machine but the same solenoids are used on newer 3CX backhoes and I suspect others. Anyway, there are a couple of these coils on the PMS valve plus another one on the Excavator Pilot Pressure Valve. The faulty coil had a crack in it and read zero ohms. A good coil should read about 10 ohms. I was unable to find just the solenoid coil in any parts listings so I contacted my friendly JCB dealer here in Australia. They confirmed that the coil is not available as a separate part and happily furnished me a written quote for a whole new PMS control valve. The price in AUD just $2,905.34 or, if I preferred, I could buy the Excavator Pilot Valve for just $614 and swap the coils. Nice one JCB! Fortunately the coils have a number on them and Google revealed they are made by Vickers Eaton. In the US they cost about US$20 plus postage. I ended up sourcing one from Eaton in Melbourne for $76 in Aussie money. It’s disappointing, but not surprising, that JCB wish to line their greedy pockets this way. They claim they can’t have a part number for everything but the threaded pipe nipples that screw into these valves have their own part numbers and I bet they don’t need replacing nearly as often as electrical coils. I’m not allowed to call them thieves on the internet but you can guess how I feel. For reference, the coils are C13DM12/14 UN-D or Eaton part number 400AA00031A. If you have one that fails then quote those numbers at your local hydraulics shop. Arrows pointing to the coils on the PMS Valve (located under the floor) Old and new coil
GOOD Job & thanks for reporting it..
Hi AussieChris, could you please tell me where the solonoids are on a 2004 JCB1CX, my machine wont move and the front bucket wont lift, 4 in 1 works but wont lift. Cheers Grant
Further to this, I have been looking for the same solenoid for a JCB 8080 ZTS excavator. I have found the following replacement items here is Europe: Bosch Rexroth R901130433 (BiDirectional Diode) - Euro 71.50 inc VAT Bosch Rexroth R901094609 (Standard) - Euro 50.36 inc. VAT ASP 717/20137 (not sure if any diodes installed or standard) - Euro 24.83 inc. VAT