Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help needed with a Hoketsu

stock · 2008-12-23 23:07

O! great peers and those of you who yield the mighty spanner your assisance is required with a hitachi/hokuetsu/airman ax25.It has developed a problem with it's left foot in that it wont work ,now the story in full from what I know any how . Got a call from a good and dear friend to say his mini digger had a sore foot, after it had been returned by an employee from a weekends work.They opened the tracbox and found it needed to be overhauled thes was done but on trying to run it the motor blew a seal, (enter stock). So I have ordered a seal kit for the KYB motor but Ihave yet to fit it so any info on these excavators would be appreciated,pump drawing pipe diagrams etc,etc Thank you Stock

Replies15
  1. #1Iron Horse2008-12-24 00:16

    At a rough guess , i would say a couple of those hoses have been put back on the wrong nipples . You may get a clue by looking at the other motor , and following the hoses back to the distribution block .

  2. #2Bellboy2008-12-24 02:12

    Hokuetsu Industries?

  3. #3RonG2008-12-24 05:21

    There are three different size hoses there so only two could be reversed. Might be faster to just change the hoses on the block from top to bottom. I am not sure that would be the safest thing to do however. The right thing to do would be trace the hoses as you suggested.Ron G

  4. #4stock2009-01-02 18:35

    What we found with surgery Today we ripped out the trackmotor and box and we found this The bolts had stripped or were not correctly installed,more to follow.

  5. #5hitch2009-01-02 21:00

    The first impression came out of my mind is this name like a integration of "Hitachi“ ”Kobelco“ and "Komatsu". But by searching, found it is the company produce Airman mini excavator, air compressor and Generator set. http://www.airman.co.jp/index_e.htm

  6. #6stock2009-01-03 05:12

    and for the fifth attempt if we don't time out So when we ripped a bit farther we found this

  7. #7Iron Horse2009-01-03 18:00

    I was under the impression it had just been overhauled .

  8. #8Bellboy2009-01-05 13:31

    Sounds like one hell of a job. can we see some pics of the whole machine, coz I have never seen a Hoketsu before.

  9. #9stock2009-01-05 15:24

    Well until this one neither had I

  10. #10finaldrive2009-01-23 22:07

    Just curious if you found a solution to your dilemma. If not, maybe I can help. I am a distributor for Kayaba (KYB) travel motors and I can tell you that I've seen many drives just like this. Was there any reason for the employee to have removed the lines and reinstall? If so I agree with the Iron Horse and RonG. I can tell you that these units are easy to hook up incorrectly. P1 and P2 are your forward and reverse ports, your pressure lines. The one in the middle of P1 and P2 and slightly offset is the 2-speed port. The ports at the top and bottom are the case drain or return to tank ports. One will have a steel plug in it. Kayaba does that to make one drive work for either side of the machine. An unfortunate, but common, error on this brand is to accidently hook up the 2-speed line to the case drain and vice versa. The machine will operate in low speed but when it shifts into high speed it forces high pressure oil into the return to tank port. The motor will bypass interally when in low speed and return the oil, but when shifted there is no where for the oil to go. It blows the shaft seal first and then the oil has to escape the drive somewhere. In this case it looks as though it actually forced the bolts to strip and come out of the flange. Although that would be a first for me to see. Did the outer cover blow the snap ring out and bow the cover? Between the flange where it mounts to the machine and where the sprocket mounts is there any gap there or leakage? I can't tell from the photo of the cylinder block and pistons, but is the retainer plate actually broken and missing a piece? The retainer plate is the plate under the pistons. I see a gap there and there shouldn't be any gap. If that is broken then that is another sign of overpressurization of the motor.

  11. #11stock2009-01-24 12:18

    Well it would seem that the person who "overhauled|" it should be hit with the hammer he used,the unit was so badly assembled the damage is evident,the owner is trying to get replacement parts preferable a complete used unit as the machine doesnt warrent the cost of a new one. Stock

  12. #12finaldrive2009-01-24 13:12

    In the 2nd picture on that tag, does it read MAG-18V-230? I can supply the parts needed or a complete new unit. I have a breakdown I could fax or email so I can be supplied a parts list. I'm not sure the protocol here, but my email address is in my profile. I completely understand about the cost of the unit versus the machine value, I have to deal with that situation everyday. Kayaba's parts prices are high, but I'd welcome the chance to help out. I assume that the gearbox side is fine?

  13. #13Iron Horse2009-01-24 19:32

    High pressure oil with no where to go will destroy a component just like in the photos . I would say finaldrive is correct in saying that the bolts have been pulled straight out , i think the motor has been turned into a hydraulic ram by the incorrect fitment of the hoses . I would check before fitting them to the rebuilt motor , it would be a shame to do it again .

  14. #14stock2009-03-14 12:26

    An update Got a phone call to-day to say that they had traded the digger as was with the new owner going to break it for parts,a 2.7 ton hitachi was purchased and is to be delivered on Thursday. Stock

  15. #15IanH2023-09-08 12:14

    I looking to rebuild my drive is a mag-18v-230-2 id love to see that parts breakdown and order parts.