Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

help or advice

Carolina start up ยท 2021-08-29 20:01

so I'm still looking for an excavator like always looked at a bobcat 32i and a kx-71 that had heat but no Ac ( rather have Ac) than john deere 35g. so I'm at a sticking point to go with the smaller 24hp machines or go bigger to maybe a 40hp machine. my whole thought process is I need to be able to get into gated backyards and tighter areas but also want the power to do clearing and other stuff because my families property needs work and everything also so I just need a good size id be happy with so if anyone has suggestions or advice id be happy

Replies4
  1. #1Allan M2021-08-30 22:06

    Hey Carolina Start-up: I think it depends on what you do in a gated back yard. If you are going to do demo work and dig a pool then you need the 40+ HP machine that will be tougher to squeeze in tight places and haul around--but will save you time and money. If you're landscaping, digging sprinkler lines, etc... in those yards then your 6k lb machine IMO is just right. I have a 13K 49hp U55-4 Kubota that has a lot of muscle for cutting access roads through scrub manzanita, oak and a variety of soils and rock. I got a good deal on the purchase of this machine because the rental company was tired of lugging it around to various clients (needed a bigger pick-up with duels on the back to haul it). The 6k to 9k lb machines were their sweat spot. For me, working my hilly 18 acres this 13k lb machine is ideal. A smaller machine couldn't handle some of the trees and rocks that I need to work through. Maybe there isn't an ideal sized machine for you if you need something really small for the business but something with heft for the family property. It may be that you rent a larger machine when you need to do some serious clearing on the homestead. That said, I used to do a lot work with my compact tractor/backhoe (clearing property) and the backhoe only had 2,500 lb break force at the bucket. Your 6k lb excavators run about 6k lb breakforce at the bucket...so a lot more punch than what I used originally to enlarge my backyard and do some basic land clearing. The backhoe was woefully underpowered though to take down even a 1 ft in diameter oak. It can't break 3" in diameter roots. My 13k lb Kubota can break roots on a 1 ft. tree in four or five scoops then push the tree over. Big difference. Hope you find what you need. Best, Allan

  2. #2Carolina start up2021-08-31 17:45

    my ideal set up be a 24hp machine then like a 308 sized machine but money is a object so this does help answer questions so thank you

  3. #3CM19952021-08-31 20:03

    CSU on that small of a mini I wouldn't want a cab as it restricts vision around the machine and cramps an otherwise small cab in addition to the A/C systems are hit and miss on machines that small being adequate in our Southern heat. Recently bought a used Cat 305E and purposely chose a non-cab machine. Anytime we need a mini it's in tight quarters and usually working with ground men in close proximity and an enclosed cab is the last thing we want. Just my $.035 adjusted for inflation.

  4. #4Carolina start up2021-08-31 21:25

    well the bobcat dealer does have a used 35l for a lot less money open cab with the thumb I hate that my local dealership is Kubota and john deere recently proved to me they will screw me in the worst way. i do know windows are expensive though and finding the right machine is very hard budget-wise and well size-wise did buy a 2nd mower though finally