Hello to everyone, I am a noob and I have never owned a dozer. I have a small tractor and that is all. I am almost ready to retire from a 30 year job and want to do some land clearing work on the side. I have been clearing my own land for the past two years using my little tractor and paying a dozer and track loader to do other work. I have found a cheap little running Komatsu d20a-5 for $5,000. I was thinking about getting it to do work around the property and some extra work when retired and because I think it would be good to learn on. I am looking for any advice on what you guys may know about this little dozer and how well it holds up. Seems to me as old as it is and as well as it runs it must be OK but just checking before handing over the $5k. Thanks again.
I've got it's cousin the Mitsubishi BD2G. It's obviously got limits but it's far more capable than a tractor for pushing or grading. I've skidded logs, graded many acres, pulled discs etc and it's always been up to the task. Mine is a gear shift model and other than a few times where you get stuck between a gear and it takes a bit of juggling to get shifted I've not had any issues with it vs a power shift. Did both of the steering clutches/brakes and a couple rollers. Mine is a '92 model.
I am well satisfied with my D21a-7 after rebuilding the steering clutches, brakes, and all bottom rollers. Given it's size and capabilities for pushing dirt and clearing small trees, there is absolutely nothing that I would consider trading for!