Looking at a 1840, that shows little over 2700 hours on it and is supposed to run well. Looks decent in the pictures for an older machine but I have not been able to go look at it in person just yet, due to work. From what I have researched, sounds like it is a 94 model (they were not sure) by the serial number, which is 0129994, does this sound correct? It looks like all original paint by condition and it has the brown cab with grey lettering, if that helps. Comes with a tooth bucket, tires look great. Anything in particular I should look for, when I get to check it out? Lastly, and again, IF everything checks out, does 9500 sound like a decent price? Looking around prices seem to be all over the place. Thanks in advance.
They are very good units. I have a 1998 Case 1845C that I've had for years, has almost 5000hrs on it and never missed a day of work. If the paint and decals are all original the cab color will match the decals. In '94 it should be a brown cab and brown lettering/decals. When you go to look at it check all the fluids and run it for a good 30min. If it still pushes good when hot and both sides move at the same speed its probably good (although sometimes different speed side to side can just be a control adjustment.) They are pretty rugged and reliable units, many say the 1840/1845C are the most durable skid steers ever made. If it's in good shape $9500 sounds fair, but I'd still try to talk them down as much as possible.
Been away from them for a few years but company I worked for had several 1840/1845C Case machines. Won't say never had a problem with them but would say 95% of the problems were probably cause by the various guys in the operator seats!
Thanks for the answers. Going to try and go look at it first of next week. I had an 1840 in the past but it was not in as good of condition as this one and had its particular quirks but never had any issues with the engine. Had no gauges, so no idea of hours but had zero blow back, would fire right up, even in the winter months. With the issues it had, which didn't really affect how it worked, I was not sure if there was anything in particular to look out for.