Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help with 140g

thoseguyz · 2024-11-17 19:20

have a 140 g motor grader and I'm wondering if anyone has had a chain skip? I have a lond bang when under heavy load going straight or when turning. Diff lock doesn't change anything. Almost positive or at least I was that it was in the right side tandom but I removed the hubs the tandom case and everything down to the center ring and pinion and find nothing. Have drained transmission fluid as well and no metal or anything. I have been told these chains don't slip they break? The sprockets and chains look brand new everything in there does and I can't find the problem. Absolutely any help would be amazing. I'm not even sure if I doing this right lol never been on a forum so I apologize if I'm doing that wrong. Thank u in advance not shur how to start a thread or whatever lol

Replies12
  1. #1Pickawinna2024-11-17 19:47

    Are both tyres on that tandem the "same"? Same circumference? And same amount of tread level or amount of traction ability? Does the drive chain have any stretch (wear in linkages)?

  2. #2thoseguyz2024-11-17 20:53

    All 4 rear tires are almost exactly same wear. And r the same size. Don't see any wear on anything that's the hard part lol sprockets look like new, everything I have taken out looks new

  3. #3Pickawinna2024-11-17 21:33

    You might need someone to walk beside the machine and try to locate the source of the noise? I had a similar thing happen on a new to me machine, a loud clunk when moving over uneven ground though, I could have sworn at first it was from the centre articulation. But after a bit more investigation realised it was from the centre pivot pin for the front axle group. Was missing a few shims and that's all it needed. It would have been pin pointed almost instasntly if I had some one outside and on the ground watching and listening from a safe distance away.

  4. #4shaggs2024-11-17 22:57

    i have been on a 12h and it would make a loud bang it was the pins holding the artic cylinders. they have a fiberous bearing around the pins with abit of wear the pins would bind and then break free.also if the ball on the a frame is out of adjustment[needs shims removing if not worn too badly] when it flogs the bang sounds like its in the tandem, noise travels thru the frame .to test have the blade up drive around and pump up and down on the throttle this will make a loose a frame flog

  5. #5thoseguyz2024-11-17 23:58

    The sound is coming from the right side tandom area or behind it.

  6. #6Deimos2024-11-18 00:36

    I can advise you to lift the grader off the ground so that the wheels are off the ground. Remove it from the parking lot and check each wheel for hub play using a large crowbar or a large pipe. A small amount of hub play can be the cause of knocking in tandem under load or when turning.

  7. #7AronGlass2024-11-18 04:32

    You’re right that those chains usually break, not slip. If everything looks good in the tandem, maybe check the driveline U-joints or bearings—sometimes a bang under load can come from there

  8. #8thoseguyz2024-11-18 09:38

    I did walk next to it and listen and when u dig in the blade and make it work I bangs so loud u would swear a chain or gear broke. It's extremely violent so I obviously didn't keep doing it for fear of what I was destroying lol

  9. #9thoseguyz2024-11-18 09:39

    I have the hubs off and apart. No wear or play in anything.

  10. #10thoseguyz2024-11-18 09:41

    This machine doesn't have any joints or drive line's. Rear drive only. The only u joints it has drivers the hydraulic pump

  11. #11Nige2024-11-18 09:54

    Could it possibly be something in the differential.? Have you taken a look at the mag plug yet.? Please post a Serial Numnber for accurate information.

  12. #12Deimos2024-11-18 10:55

    In reality, knocks and impacts in a tandem can be caused by many reasons. The tandem itself resonates and amplifies the knock. Any loose bearing can cause a knock under a sharp load. Incorrect preload of the cone bearings on the hub can do the same. A loose final drive sprocket or wear in the planetary mechanism will do the same. First, you need to localize where the knock is coming from, you may have to use a stethoscope. A case from practice, there was a similar problem on a 140M grader. We were looking for this knock all day, tried both on the move and on a machine raised above the ground. The knock is especially audible when turning. As a result, we began to shake the wheels with a huge pipe like a lever, there was a very small play on one of the wheels. When we removed the hub, this play could no longer be seen. Only when disassembling the hub did it become clear that the bearing preload was greater than the specification.