I'm a welder / fabricator. I live in VA. I do have a CDL and a USDOT #. Right now I have an International single axle service truck rated at 33k GVW and a couple of trailers that I mainly use it to pull. One is an air-brake equipped 24' tandem and one is an electric-brake tri-axle with a 24,340 GVW. I use these trailers to move forklifts and equipment around. I also have a single rear wheel F350 with a welder on it which goes to 90% of my jobs. I don't use the International much, but when I need it, I need it. I'm thinking of consolidating into one truck. If I did that, I'd sell both of these trucks, the air brake trailer, and one of the welders that's on the current trucks. I'd want to keep the tri-axle, because when I need a trailer, I really need it, and I don't have time to find and pay somebody to haul for me. I've come across a 2010 F450. There is no GCWR on the door sticker, only the GVW which is 16k lbs. The truck currently weighs 9k with a closed-top utility body which I'll be modifying and then putting my tools and welder on it. It'll probably weigh 11k when I'm done. It has 4.88 gears and the gas V10. I'm not interested in a diesel for my purposes; I probably tow less than 2,000 miles a year. My tri-axle is a low-deck trailer and is perfect for my 5k forklift which weighs 9,000 lbs. That's the heaviest thing I pull with it. Together they probably weigh 15,000 lbs although I haven't had them across a scale. The trailer's VIN tag GVW is 24k as I said above. So here's my issue. Even though it's not on the door tag, I did a lot of searching online and found that the GCWR of a V10 F450 from 2010 is 26,000. I think that the truck and trailer can be made to weigh this or less without a problem. However, adding up the GVWR's of the truck's and trailer's VIN tags comes up to 40,000. Each of these units alone would be operating under their tagged GVW's, and the combination weight would also be under that 26k mark that Ford evidently specs but doesn't put on the VIN tag in the doorjam. If the GCWR isn't on the doorjam, will the DOT go out of their way to find it when I go across the scales and hassle me with it? Or does it not count if not on the sticker and if all axle weights and GVW's meet spec? Hope this is more clear than mud...
I believe you have to contact Fore to get the gross combined towing capacity. Ford has a good website for towing guides. https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/ http://rvbonus.com/towing/2010/ford/f250_350_450.pdf
Yes, I know that the GCWR is 26000. It's not on the sticker, but I've looked it up online at a site similar to the one you linked to. My question is about whether DOT looks that up, then adds up the max GVW's on the truck and trailer, then gives tickets for the max GVW's exceeding the max GCWR. Even though the trailer and truck will never be loaded above GCWR. Basically I just have a trailer with a big payload capacity according to it's VIN plate. I want to keep using it, but load the combination to under 26,000 so it won't exceed GCWR. None of the gross axle ratings or truck or trailer GVW's will be exceeded, either. The GCWR is the only number I have a question about because max GVW's of the truck and trailer added together exceed the GCWR (which isn't even on the door sticker). I have a CDL and a DOT# for my company already, not that that matters for this question. Just want to be clear that I'm not trying to skirt CDL regs. Does that make sense?
Yes it makes sense. It might not hurt to contact the DOT and ask them.
Are you asking if dot would add up the total amount you COULD haul based on axle capacity? In Ohio it's based on how heavy you are not what you're equipment is rated for.
Basically yes, that's my question. The reason I ask is because for example, a person without a CDL can get a ticket for operating a hydraulic-braked truck that's door-tagged at 33K but only weighs 20K and is registered to weigh 20K. So in some cases the DOT goes by what the door tags / manufacturer says instead of actual weight.
Forgot to add, I've tried the VA DMV a few times today....line always busy and with work I have trouble sitting on hold for too long.
You'd have to look at your specific DOT, but in most places DOT doesn't care about GVW, GCWR or any of that. They care about axle and tire ratings only.
And, in Ontario...the total registered weight you paid for $$$. It ain't about safety, it's about revenue generation! Fastest thing to do would be to go to a scale house, and ask there. Those are the folks that will end up charging you. Might as well go straight to the horses mouth.
It would be the total gross of the truck and trailer I believe. Tandem semis are usually rated at 50,000 but can be 80,000 legally with trailer.
The USDOT changed their rule in 2014 to determine GCWR as the sum of the truck and trailer GVWR, as read on the safety stickers, or the actual weight, whichever is greater. See section V of this document https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2014-03-19/pdf/2014-05502.pdf
How active is your DOT on pickups, and do you have to cross a scale?
I am in kind of the same boat i would like to slim down on vehicles . I got away from using a pickup like you have now for something bigger . Now i have 4 rigs to do the same thing . I wish some how i could go back to 1 but every time i think and try to pencil it out 2 makes more sense . I guess you have a personal car or pickup not related to work? If you do why not get a bigger truck ? Maybe the 450 is ok but they seem problematic .
Best to call the highway patrol/dot they are very helpful and also take to the treasurer/DMV to see if you can get the correct weight tags on that combo. My bet is if you can get the correct tags, you will be fine.
My outfit had an '08 F-550 with the v-10. Rolling at about 17k in a service truck application. I would not recommend it...
The cost per mile to operate a 450/550 is surprisingly close to running a sIngle axle KW T370 or Freightshaker M2. The Fords eat brakes, steering and the 19.5” rubber is price comparable to 22.5’s. That’s my experience managing a fleet of them. I certainly didn’t have any complaint with the gassers in local P&D service. Easy to start in the winter, quick warm-up and anybody can fix them. Idle them all day without plugging the exhaust. Sometimes a non CDL F-450 is the rig for the job. More smiles per mile. More booty with that Superduty. Four doors, more whores. AmIright?
A V10 is a real gas hog. We had two similar trucks where I used to work, one with a v8 one with a v10. Fuel consumption on v10 much higher without much benefit.
Yes it is. I can purchase a lot of RUG for what it costs to repair misfuels, CP4’s, injectors and exhaust systems. Lol. But, I know. It’s because we hire idiots to drive the package trucks around.
LOL I've owned 2 Superduty's out of 12 that were gassers, one gutless 6.2 and one thirsty V10. All the rest have been diesel including 3 - 7.3's, 4 - 6.0's and 3 - 6.7's. As long as there is a diesel power plant option I'll never own a gas 3/4 ton and larger pickup. YMMV.