I have a marine generator 342 176hp Want to put it into a D8 dozer is it possible to switch everything over to fit into the d8 with a blown up 342 Changing the injection pump and increase the rpms from 900 to 1220
IIRC the rear flange on the crank is not the same. Knew a guy that tried it and had issues. I don't remember for sure, but do your home work first.
If you can get the S/N from both engines I or someone might be able to compare some things to see if they are the same, like crankshaft or engine block. Would expect the oil pan and pumps to be different between a dozer and gen set.
Ok thanks for the replies do you think Atleast the block is usable if you switch over the pans
Hope someone with direct experience with 342's and D8 will chime in. I have access to SIS but without S/N I would not want to give any bad advice.
On other generator to dozer engine swap attempts the governor and fuel deliverywas different also and maybe the water pump and drive. For sure the oil pump and pan as Ken said. It maybe be possible that the accessories may swap out. Not sure how much applies to the 342. Cab you get them next to each other.
This is one that needs input from tctractors. Like KSH I seem to recall a thread from a while back about D342 crankshafts being different for different applications. To the OP. Can you get hold of Serial numbers for both engines..? If so, post them up.