Hey guys, first time here, I’ve been searching but all I can find is the electric prime/lift pump for 420D I don’t know if mine has an older set up or newer set up, but cat parts finder says this fits my machine... it certainly doesn’t match what is there currently. Are there models with no prime/lift pump? The machine would sometimes be hard to start, sometimes hesitate, then yesterday, started, stalled, and wouldn’t restart, I gave it a shot of brake clean, it fired up, and now it’s running today. From my knowledge in diesel trucks, I would go inspect the lift pump. On my seperator housings, there is no electric motor, only a black cap on top where the pump motor shows to be in my attached picture. There is a 3 wire plug (what is that for?) and the water indicator wire for the filter. not sure why the dealer and online parts finder says I should have the pump in the picture when I don’t. Serial is BLN 38018 I guess I’m asking 2 questions, One to clarify if I even have a lift pump on this thing because I can’t find it. And 2, what else should I be looking for aside from that. thank you in advance
Are you sure about the Serial Number.? The BLN prefix is correct but I don't think Cat ever built 38000 units. Numbers appear to only go up to around 13500. The correct machine S/N leads to an engine S/N and to the correct fuel system arrangement for what you actually have on your machine - provided no-one has been getting "creative" with it prior to it coming into your hands that is.
Up to BLN10299, there is no electric primer. There is a lever on the side of the mechanical lift pump. Pump Many perkins lift pumps have screens in them, but, I cannot find if there is one inside this one. And, it's on the opposite side of the engine as the fuel filter.
Thank you for the reply. I will double check the serial. Maybe it is my bad eyes. But I bought it brand new. Nobody has fiddled around with it. The picture of the filter housing looks to be exactly what I have. Out of curiosity, what is the 3 wire plug on the filter/seperator housing for? I will reply back with the serial update
There are actually 2 connectors. One is power to the electric priming pump and the other for the high water level detection sensor.
Save for being behind the boom tower, the cover comes off to reveal a washable screen, along with the diaphragm. You shouldn't need to remove the whole lift pump, unless you can't access the screws and cover easily.
As an aside, my 426Cit and 420Eit machines both have TWO filters in the fuel system. One on the side of the engine and other under the machine between the fuel tank and the bellhousing. Have you serviced them BOTH regularly?
I would try cleaning all the banjo bolts and fittings, to make sure you have no crud in them. You can also try to push a little compressed air in the fuel line from the first filter or pump back to the tank to clear any would-be obstruction. Can you drain the water out of the bottom of the tank if there is any? You can also troubleshoot most of the previous by cracking loose an injector line or the feed to the injection pump, should be lots of fuel when cranking. I've seen the Banjo bolt identified as 13 in the parts diagram clog up.