Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

help with a ls170

borken ls170 ยท 2010-09-06 17:53

i have a new holland ls170 i need to know how to get the lift cylinder off but this thing is stuck i need to get it off so i can weld the frame back together:Banghead

Replies25
  1. #1irwin2010-09-06 21:18

    Bummer.. What ever it takes is how you get it off... jacks, pullers, heat. Try to take any tension off it (jacks, prying tools) and don't give up. The trick is to remove the tension. Should you give up, the local HE repair shop might get it freed up in 10-20 minutes..

  2. #2borken ls1702010-09-06 21:21

    the square part moves free but the round thing is stuck what part do i heat the other end is off so no tension left

  3. #3irwin2010-09-06 23:04

    You have the pin out right? So the bushing is siezed to it? I guess we need to know what is siezed to what. If it's the bushing, cut it out and install a new one durring reassembly? If it's something else...? By lift cylinder you mean boom cylinder? (a link to Messicks http://www.messicks.com/newhollandparts.aspx )

  4. #4willie592010-09-06 23:55

    I'm not a NH person, and I'm not exactly certain of what your working on, but I'm gonna wager that "round thing" does not move. I can't tell in the pic what your working on, but if it is in fact the loader arm lift cylinder, I would say you have to pull the pin for the opposite end of the cylinder to release it from loader frame, then you could remove the cylinder from the round thing on opposite end of cylinder that does not move. Just a wild guess.

  5. #5irwin2010-09-07 00:09

    In your top picture the round thing is the pin.. You removed a bolt from there..yes? I'm not familar with your machine, but pins can be tough to remove... first make sure there isn't any locking bolt still in place... your picture isn't very helpful... once you are POSITIVE there is no other part securing that pin.. heat up the the inside, more than likely the pin is siezed to the bushing .. but ..First take a look at this.. #41 is the pin in the first picture #31 in the second picture appears to be on the cabin side of the pin, is it still there? Not sure what it is, but it's at the pin hole.

  6. #6irwin2010-09-07 00:17

    Thanks for jumping in, I think he's saying the other end is disconnected, but the round thing is siezed... I'm guessing it's the pin .. but hard to tell from the pictures...

  7. #7irwin2010-09-07 00:24

    One more picture.. #16 is the pin (#22 is the bolt, #3 is a washer)

  8. #8willie592010-09-07 00:36

    Well, I'm real reluctant to jump in on this one because I know very little about NH skids, TD25c knows much more about them than I do. I just can't tell much about the assembly of the unit by looking at the pics.

  9. #9stovein2010-09-07 09:49

    the round thing is the pin with a taper on it, hit the arm with a heavy hammer on the side of the arm at the bushing and it will break free. by on the side I mean at 90 degrees to the pin. It comes out toward the inside. That is the maintenance manual way of removing it I don't think any heat will be necessary.

  10. #10frogfarmer2010-09-07 16:56

    stovein nailed it but nothing is ever as easy as it sounds Good Luck

  11. #11willie592010-09-07 19:02

    See, I told ya I know very little about NH machines. Bah ha ha ha :tong And you're spot on frogfarmer, the phrase that drives me bonkers is... "All we gotta do is..." Never works that way.

  12. #12borken ls1702010-09-07 21:30

    thanks to all i will smash this thing on Thursday:bash

  13. #13willie592010-09-07 21:59

    LMAO! You Tube video, please.

  14. #14borken ls1702010-09-28 17:46

    ok it took me 4 hrs to get the inner cab out but this is were in at:Banghead

  15. #15KSSS2010-09-28 20:45

    Wow.. How about some JB wield, color should be spot on. Next is a ride to the nearest Richie Brothers auction site. Take your 6K and put it towards another machine.........just a thought.:beatsme

  16. #16frogfarmer2010-09-28 21:10

    Super Booms are prone to these type of problems a good weld and a watchful eye will keep this from happening again.

  17. #17borken ls1702010-09-29 16:20

    what is the cause of this type of damage it was broken when i got it

  18. #18frogfarmer2010-09-29 17:36

    My #1 answer would be abuse. I service New Holland skids for an asphalt contractor who is constantly working them at capacity. Top of the cab and lights are destroyed from tipping into trucks. Never broken a boom in tens of thousands of hours they only buy New Holland. I service the same model units for a concrete contractor who could tear up an anvil. They have cracked and traded 4 units that I know of. Asphalt guys no extreme mechanical failures. Concrete guys have at one time or another had to replace every driveline component. Concrete guys buy whatever is cheap with the same results. Two seperate contractors using the same units with completely different outcomes. ABUSE!!!

  19. #19borken ls1702010-09-29 18:56

    i got this unit from a garden center i payed 6000.00 for it it has 4000 hrs did i get the Stinky end of the stick?:throwup

  20. #20herc9832010-09-30 01:18

    been there I have a JD 7775 which is pretty much the same machine I think. Had the same cracks as yours but caught them before they really got opened up. Hired a good welder, took 6 hours or so on each side. Was onery to get at the bottom and some of the other spots. Guy did a terrific job, can't see how it will ever break there again. Quite a few $ but it's fixed right.

  21. #21frogfarmer2010-09-30 16:20

    $6000 for a machine with 4000 hours isnt to bad for a retail price. We usually pick these units up for the $4000 range wholesale. My first skid was a New Holland and I like the LS170 they are light and have a good lift capacity. They are preferred by alot of people for different reasons. If your unit is sound otherwise I would say weld the boom and go make some money; it should have alot of life left. A welded boom is not at all uncommon on these machines.

  22. #22borken ls1702010-09-30 17:19

    thanks for all the help frogfarmer the unit runs great was used as a yard loader i know the owner they are spot on with pm and it is 4 years old

  23. #23frogfarmer2010-09-30 18:43

    Only 4 years old. You got a deal. As a yard loader it probably had a hundred different operators in 4000 hours. Might explain the boom.

  24. #24borken ls1702010-10-04 16:01

    ok after about 8 hrs i have the break fixed and most of the inner cab back together what i need to know is can i use a pressure washer on the motor and pumps with out hurting any thing

  25. #25frogfarmer2010-10-04 18:09

    A pressure washer can be used but extreme care must be used. Seals and hoses can be damaged by the pressure. I would use pressure from the garden hose alone to remove the bulk of the grime. Chemicals are available (to get the nasty stuff) that wont destroy your seals and hoses. Be careful if its really nasty you might uncover a small leak you had not noticed previously.