Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help with cat 320d fan assy

Shivan Dookeran · 2022-02-14 05:34

Hey fellow forum members , I am having an overheating problem with my cat 320d serial num KGF and it points to the fan drive assy 2813588 unfortunately the dealership is telling me I have to wait 2 months plus the price since I’m in the Caribbean, can anyone find out from their local dealer what’s the cost and availability.. I’ll gladly pay cost plus shipping .

Replies9
  1. #1AllDodge2022-02-14 09:10

    List $1,152 and also states it has been replaced but does not list what replacement number is

  2. #2heymccall2022-02-14 10:31

    Could it have the wrong software? What about...if you unplug fan, it should "lock on". Does it?

  3. #3Nige2022-02-14 11:55

    Ultimately 508-6314 is the replacement Part Number for 281-3588. To install it will require some modifications that were detailed when the original 281-3588 was first replaced by 324-0123. Looking at the rework procedure to install the new design fan drive you'd better hope that you find the fault eslewhere. Is your KGF-prefix machine S/N above 35600.? Because if it is then it already has the 324-0123 fan drive installed. In that case the update to 508-6314 is a simple replacement. I'd suggest to follow HMC's idea before shelling out megabucks for a fan drive, especially bearing in mind the OP's location in a high ambient temperature climate.

  4. #4Cmark2022-02-14 15:35

    I would be surprised if all the updates to the fan drive haven't been done yet. The early ones has a tendency to fall off and destroy the radiator at low hours. All that said, a quick and dirty check of the fan drive is to unplug it. It should go to full speed. How many hours on the machine? If it's anything approaching 10000 then I would suggest to check for belt slippage. You may get away with a new belt but from experience I would say that you are going to end up needing new crank and fan pulleys as well.

  5. #5Shivan Dookeran2022-02-15 21:41

    thanks for all the input as always guys i really do appreciate each input the machine is doing 11000k hours and yes i am looking into changing out the water pump and pulley as well as the belt. about the fan on sunday im having it back in the garage to do reseal on the bucket ramp so i will check the fan how do i go about getting the factory pw to change the high ambient cooling map ?

  6. #6ahart2022-02-16 20:20

    Gotta have Cat ET a loyal dealer connection to get factory passwords. If you have ET, they can give you the passwords over the phone using the info from your ET if they’re willing to do so.

  7. #7Shivan Dookeran2022-02-17 19:36

    if only you could hear the convo youl be laughing .. they wanted to charge me $20kttd .. thats almost 3kusd.. to give me the factory pw

  8. #8ahart2022-02-17 19:43

    I’m not at all surprised at that. Shouldn’t be that hard for a pretty simple configuration change. Not like you’re asking them to rerate your engine or something.

  9. #9Nige2022-02-17 20:13

    Shiv, has this excavator always been in your location or was it imported to T&T as a used machine.? If it has always been a local machine then, provided the Serial Number is between KGF00106 & 04890, you should hit up the dealer and ask them why THEY never applied Product Program PS43133 on it.? If the S/N is above 04890 then the way I read the program it should have had the correct fan mapping installed in it from the factory.