Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help with “custom” hydraulic cylinder repair (bottle jacks) in California/NV.

Brodiesel ยท 2018-03-22 15:19

Hey Im reaching out to to any of you guys for advice on this. I came across 5 vintage Bacharach brand diesel engine rebuilding stands. These are nice units which Im reselling. Problem is they have ben sitting outside for at least 5 years and the bottle jacks on them look horrible! Some of them were left fully extended so the chrome has rusted. I think it would be a nice touch to rebuild/repair or replace these before I sell them to a customer. Any advice? I would love to just replace them but they hard to find (the end of the rod has a through hole for a bolt) so theyre not your typical bottle jack, I just want it to be done right. I will provide photos shortly. Can any one recommend someone in my area, Im in Auburn, CA, near Sacramento/Stockton/Bay Area. Thanks.

Replies10
  1. #1Birken Vogt2018-03-22 15:31

    http://www.swecoproducts.com/ As far as I know they are kind of the only game. Some are happy, a few have sad stories but I don't know if they were self inflicted or not. What are you doing in Auburn, I have been following you since you came on here, might have work for you from time to time if you are local.

  2. #2Brodiesel2018-03-22 15:52

    Whats up man, thanks. Oh yeah your in Grass Valley! I will contact Sweco. Me and my wife moved up here temporarily to be closer to Union Pacific in Roseville. She works there as a conductor, I worked there as a "machinist" but quit after 8 months because I hated it. Currently all I do for $$ is buy and sell stuff mostly through my Ebay store. All my professional tools are in Lodi at a friends tree service business, so I have actually been doing very little wrenching. If its convenient, we should hang out, Id like to see what you got goin' on??

  3. #3Brodiesel2018-03-22 16:33

    I talked to Cecil at Sweco, he said if I brought him one of the rams they could make 5 for me at $85 ea, which is how many I need, then it would be up to me to get the seal kits and rebuild em. So its an option. I also found a comparable model at US Jack, but there asking $250 a pice! USA Made though so thats cool. Maybe I should search for the import option?

  4. #4DIYDAVE2018-03-22 20:09

    Take a look to see what HF has, if your just selling the units...

  5. #5Brodiesel2018-03-22 20:40

    Thanks, I just posted something in the for sale section of the forum, I will see where that goes...

  6. #6crane operator2018-03-22 21:31

    If you disassemble the jacks, any competent machine shop can make you new cylinder rods, with the hole in the shaft and whatever the other end needs to hold the seals. You may need to lightly hone the barrels. The seal design is probably better than any import jack you can buy. Seals shouldn't be more than $20-$30. Maybe less. Any hydraulic shop should be able to get them. I would much rather have a us made jack rebuilt, than anything from Harbor Freight.

  7. #7Brodiesel2018-03-22 21:38

    Thank you I will definitely consider this.

  8. #8old-iron-habit2018-03-22 22:56

    Lots of engine hoist jacks have the bolt hole directly in the end of the rod. Mine has a 5 ton jack. Not sure if they are to long. Also, check Surplus Center in Cheyenne. They list thousands of cylinders.

  9. #9Brodiesel2018-03-22 23:01

    Yes I know what your saying, I checked there site, they are too long. It seems everyone I find with the through hole on the end of the rod end up being too long. Considering cutting off the old through hole and welding it on to the new jacks.

  10. #10twr2018-03-23 07:27

    I have the same stand [and love it not only for engines but I put a 4 jaw chuck and a mag drill on it and use as welding positioner ] my jack went out just match size at parts house drill hole in bass works fine.